PDA

View Full Version : PVR Weekend...another report!

T_Rob
01-22-2008, 09:57 PM
Wanted to follow up with a quick report of my own from this weekend at PVR. I went with a group of friends on our 2nd annual January trip to PVR. This year I took my son (for his very first trip to the Sierras) and opted to work the shoreline instead of working from the tube as I did last year. We hit the reservoir from the plant side first thing in the morning. My son drew first blood and got his very first Brown, a respectable 12".

We had a pick bite up until around noon of about a half dozen or so fish on a mix of bait and lures. The largest, one of the tagged DFG broodstocks went 21" and 3 lbs, 10 oz. On the way out, my son and I passed by Droogie's wifey and kids and said hello (recognized them from his pics!). We also saw a guy pull in a very nice sized trout near the inlet. I'm a bad judge of gauging size, but let's just say it was much larger than the big broodie we got....much, much larger!

After some lunch, we headed to fish the dam area with the rest of our group. We started throwing hardware in the stream below it for nada. Met up with one of our friends also fishing there and soon made our way to the dam. Arrived to a country and western jam (radio and guitar) session by a few guys having a little fun...so much for the peacefulness of the great outdoors. They stayed till right after the sun went down and the buzz no longer kept them warm (j/k'ing...ok, not really). And that's when the action really started to heat up. The trout started crashing the shallows and knocking our lures down. My son had a blast hooking up with some fiesty, full-finned and brightly-colored rainbows. I got a few myself, although he topped me in the final count! :wink:

We reluctantly called it quits when we could no longer see our lures and started to worry about what happens when the sun goes down in the area! :shock: We hung out in the moon-lit parking area by the dam, toasted some beers and marveled at the day's fishing results. Turns out we had three 21" fish amongst the group with a bunch of other nice fish in the counts. We agreed this was one of the greatest trips by far in terms of quality and quantity and definitely one of the better January trips the group has made (I joined up last year and did some other trips throughout the season with them).

My son and I left later that night after dinner with the gang. The rest stayed an extra night and the reports I got from the next morning's fishing was matched in sized and quantity from the previous day with the largest a 22" fish. Definitely a great area to fish! Don't know how long this big broodstock bite will last, but I know the reservoir's always a blast to fish. We kept three fish for eats - one broodie that was delicious last night for dinner and a couple of the 14"ers for another meal down the road.

One more thing of note... I noticed a few older posts with guys showing fires lit for warmth. Don't do it! We had a group that fished next to us burning some wood and were approached and told to put their fire out. The guys didn't comply and as the guy warned the second time, the sheriff's arrived later to make sure they put it out. Apparently this guy that originally warned them didn't identify himself as an employee of DWP, but the sheriff confirmed that campfires are NOT allowed at the resevoir. So save yourselves some trouble and plan on dressing warm!

Tight lines!

tpfishnfool
01-23-2008, 07:40 AM
Great report !! Sounds like you guys did well, and yea its that time of year for the gill banders. :banana:

pole'npants
01-24-2008, 04:03 PM
good report on a good time of year. :D good for your sons 1st brown.SALUTE! :banana:
yeah, no fires and clean up your mess. :explode: that place is great. :mrgreen: