PDA

View Full Version : fish finders/gps systems

Kalicos
01-22-2008, 07:21 PM
I am buying either a combo fish finder gps or two seperate units. i was wondering what kind of system you guys prefer for inshore/offshore fishing. I have heard great things about both the hummingbirds and lowrance systems and then there is garmin and raymarine. What kind of electronics do you inshore guys use on your boats? do you guys like the side imaging sonar? What is the best chart plotting gps system? I am looking at about a 1k budget.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Kalicos

chrisplewis
01-22-2008, 08:48 PM
Check out the 595c color combo from Hummingbird. It seems be a great unit. I am going to buy one. And yes i think the combo units are a great idea. Put it in your dash console area so you can learn to use it when driving and scanning the waterway.

I would be nice to have side imaging, but to expensive. Maybe when the price goes down.

Good luck...

Brad100
01-23-2008, 07:22 AM
I have a Garmin combo unit (178C sounder) and am very happy with it. Having said that, I've not used any other units so I can't compare. The Garmin GPS is very easy to use (i.e., waypoints, "go to", etc.) and the blue charts are awsome!

Tail Chaser
01-30-2008, 02:42 PM
A very high percentage of hardcore saltwater guys like Furuno electronics. #1 in cust service and tech support.
Cust service for Raymarine really sucks. Guys were saying cust service was rude to them.
Garmen is has reputation for easy the use GPS. I no nothing of there fish finders. Pretty new stuff
Check out the furuno GP1650WF Fish finder/plotter combo $1200.00 600 watt fish finder
The FCV-620 600 watt fish finder only. $679.00 Then get a GPS for 500.00 or less
Im running all furuno stuff.
Started out with there 1200.00 600 watt fish finder and a marine handheld gps
Then upgraded all electronics, plotter,radar, combo. Kept the fishfinder single unit. Now the handheld is a backup.
Dont think I really needed the charts in the handheld.Just needed the backtrack function Great for returning trips at night or fog. Helps you follow your return tracks within a few feet of where you departed. Makes for good drift lines too. All good GPS have this. :roll:
Also a goto function, Draws a line from your position to a curser when you push a botton. And being able to mark waypoints.
Point is, A good fish finder, with a cheaper handheld. Then upgrade to a plotter at a latter date if money is tight.
A note on a combo ff/gps unit. When you split the screen.(both functions on) the little icons and stuff can be pretty small and hard to read.Say your in f.f. mode only. and drifting over a certain spot. You will want the gps function on to make sure your fishing over that same spot. So having two units is nice. Combo units are great for limited space.

Kalicos
01-30-2008, 03:16 PM
thnx again guys

Wildhorse1966
01-30-2008, 07:35 PM
i just bought the Garmin 498c with the internal antenna for my new boat its a great gps fish finder combo