PDA

View Full Version : NEW BOAT HELP!!!

sktruth
01-21-2008, 07:18 PM
I recently purchased a 12' aluminum "delta" boat. While in the process of going throught the seats (bench) i found 2 largely big (they filled the seat compartment) pieces of foam. I was dissappointed because i wanted to use the space for storage. In your opinion, do you think their necessary. I'd like the space for storage, but i would rather not compromise safety. Your advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

fisherkid47
01-21-2008, 09:41 PM
My friend and I found the same in his boat, but when putting the seat back we forgot to put the foam back. We said screw it, and went fishing w/o the foam the next day. The boat was fine. I think the foam had to do something with packaging when it was assembled or shipped.

johnsfishing
01-21-2008, 10:11 PM

Rick Grover
01-22-2008, 07:39 AM
It is there for floatation and is a Coast Guard requirement. All boats under 20' must have "Full and level floatation" which means if it fills with water, it must float 'Level". If in case you have a tragedy and someone drowns, the investigating agency will look at that foam being gone and you might be liable. Be carefull. One thing you can do is put a cooler in your seat for storage and refill the area around it with spray-in expanding foam. Keep as much foam in your boat as possable. I have been in an aluminum boat that capsized in Brazil with no floatation and it sank in about 5-10 seconds. Rick G.

sktruth
01-23-2008, 04:47 PM
thanks for the help rick. Sounds like sound advice. ty

GeordyBass
01-23-2008, 06:25 PM
thanks for the help rick. Sounds like sound advice. ty
yup the foam in a can is awesome....try to pack it in there well and putting the cooler is a great idea!remember safety first! :wink: