PDA

View Full Version : Bay Fishing/hand on my trigger/pics

JSAUCE818
01-20-2008, 06:13 PM
Hit the water with Trophy1 (rene) who is a new member on this site, and also someone I grew up with in the hood since I was small, :2guns: he invited me to hit the bay on his boat, I also hit up Hakaveli to see if he was game to go, of course he wasn't gonna say no,..lol....we were gonna hit up cabrillo, but decided to try SamoBay instead. Got to his house, he had boat loaded, and off we went! http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l165/jsauce818/IMG00133.jpg We Launched like @ 9:45am from MDR, and worked our way up to Samo. Started off pretty slow, just short bites and nibbles but no takers. Trophy1 son was the 1st to hook up when he reels up his swimbait and ends up catching some type of Shrimp?!
the reaction on his face tells it all lol..http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l165/jsauce818/shrimp.jpg..I thought that was pretty cool, but hey! No skunk for him! Anyways, found a spot where Hakaveli hooks up onto a SandDab and 2 Blue Perch on squid. It was funny cause when he got slammed he was saying "oh crap! This has to be a bass!! Its a bass!!"....until he reels it up and ends up being Perch.. :rofl: .lol....right after that I hook up onto a RockFish, then Trophy1 puts on a whole squid on a lead head hooks up on a nice Calico http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l165/jsauce818/IMG00145.jpg
So I say Efffit,..ill give that a try!....smart Choice! my First Cast on a whole squid, on the way down I feel my
line.....bite...bite....bite.....WHAM!....SET THE HOOK!! BENDOOOOO!!!......this thing fought like hell!. While the tip of my rod was dancing, I wondering what the hell it was, maybe a big bass??.....HAKAVELI gets the net, and it ends up being a "TRIGGER FISH?!". :eyepop: ....what a trip....it gave me a real good fighthttp://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l165/jsauce818/TriggerFish01-19-07.jpghttp://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l165/jsauce818/TriggerFish01-19-07-1.jpganyways, HaKAVELI switched over using a Gulp Grub tipping it with Squid. And hooks up on a nice Sand bass! this time it wasnt a perch!..lol
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l165/jsauce818/DSC00158.jpgWe also had fun on a "Mack attack"
through out the day.
Havaveli cutting up a Mac for chumming, there ya go for those like to see blood :twisted:
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l165/jsauce818/IMG00157.jpg
Trophy1 on a Bendo Shot
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l165/jsauce818/IMG00143.jpg
Hakaveli on a bendo shot
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l165/jsauce818/IMG00155.jpg
After a while we called it quits. Overall it was a fun day, and we all farmed a alot of fish. :bang: .(sucks).... .but i still had a blast fishing with a neighborhood friend, and a member as well Can't wait to get out and hit the salt again. Till next time ya'll....be safe out there...

--Its not how big you are,...its how big you fight..

catchemdano
01-20-2008, 06:35 PM
nice report and fish too them trigger fish look awesome.I yet to catch one myself,I believe I seen you guys out there.I been both sat & sun.maybe if I see you guys the next time I"ll introduce myself, also those shrimp look odd too, I heard they are poisonous so watch out,

JSAUCE818
01-20-2008, 06:57 PM
nice report and fish too them trigger fish look awesome.I yet to catch one myself,I believe I seen you guys out there.I been both sat & sun.maybe if I see you guys the next time I"ll introduce myself, also those shrimp look odd too, I heard they are poisonous so watch out,
yeah man come by next time, dont be stranger. We can hook up out on the water and find these damn fish 8)...as for the shrimp? poisonous?...wow...it taste good though....lol...jk...it was released....hehe...

BIGRED KILLA
01-20-2008, 07:02 PM
Nice job out there nice variety of fish :thumb:That is a manta shrimp they are mean i will never pick one up i think they can snap at you with a claw and do some damage they can **** you up glad know one got hurt.That is a nice size trigger fish they are really good for ceviche.

Bigred

hakaveli
01-20-2008, 07:07 PM
thats how we do :bang:

Trophy1
01-20-2008, 07:21 PM
nice report jsauce i am ready for some more fishing..... tomorrow is a holiday :D let me know.......... :banana:

JSAUCE818
01-20-2008, 07:23 PM
thats how we do :bang:
nice bendo shot on your avatar :wink: ...
Big Red, thanks, im still tripping out on the info you guys are giving me on that shrimp, it looks completely harmeless :lol:
TROPHY1, dude, its supposed to be raining this whole week :evil: ...your call mang...

Trophy1
01-20-2008, 07:27 PM
i am game for some fishing before the rain? did u find out if you are working tomorrow?

victor101
01-20-2008, 07:47 PM
Great report man. Is that a Mantis Shrimp? anyway....good to see you guys came up on some fish. Thanks for the report!

ghetto dad
01-20-2008, 08:52 PM
great report sauce.....

GD

sansou
01-21-2008, 08:38 AM
Congrats on the triggerfish! Very cool!

"--Its not how big you are,...its how big you fight.." ----> Manta Shrimp. Those things are apparently very dangerous.

cappo
01-21-2008, 10:19 AM
nice job guys, as mentioned be careful with those mantis shrimp. One blow from them will split your finger open. Theyre known to break fishtanks.

Thats a big triggerfish homie. Make some ceviche out of it. Its seriously bomb.

JapanRon
01-21-2008, 10:27 AM
Hi JSAUCE818,

Great report and pics. Thanks.

Trophy1 Welcome to the boards. Nice boat !!

So it looks like a pretty good day. That Trigger is one slab of solid meat although I've been told they don't taste very good.

Await you guys next report,

JapanRon

Brian_GSC
01-21-2008, 01:00 PM
Nice report dude. Way to get 'em even in January!

And yeah, it looks like a mantis shrimp.

Fisherman57
01-21-2008, 04:32 PM
Sweet! :thumb:

(Ditto on the beware of Manta shrimp advice)

JSAUCE818
01-21-2008, 04:48 PM
THANKS GUYS, THIS YEAR I WANT TO TARGET SALTWATER, TROPHY1 AND I ARE ON A MISSION :twisted: ....I HOPE ALL GOES WELL....
:shock: :shock: YOU GUYS WERENT KIDDING,.....I LOOKED UP THE MANTIS SHRIMP, AND WOW THOSE THINGS ARE VISCIOUS....CHECK THIS OUT...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkv_30niM_A

getn2fishin
01-21-2008, 09:04 PM
Those are some great pics of some nice fish looks like aloy of fun!!!

FISHINGBEE
01-21-2008, 09:31 PM
Used to get Manta Shrimp in SD bay . Yes they can actually take a finger off they have razor sharp claws. They a quick too. The Trigger fish do make great ceviche my first taste was San Felipe the SKiff guide made it for us out in the boat while fishing.

FISHNBEE

Stormcrow
01-21-2008, 09:50 PM
wow, two wierd tropical species in cold pacific water! Mantis shrimp and trigger fish. I bet the trigger fought hard. Believe it or not the mantis probably a discarded pet. Not indiginous to these waters I dont think but someone may correct me on that.

Great day for you guys!

ghetto dad
01-21-2008, 11:00 PM
wow, two wierd tropical species in cold pacific water! Mantis shrimp and trigger fish. I bet the trigger fought hard. Believe it or not the mantis probably a discarded pet. Not indiginous to these waters I dont think but someone may correct me on that.

Great day for you guys!

i have seen many mantis shrimp in my years of sport fishing.....not too uncommon......

GD

coachb44
01-21-2008, 11:21 PM
Dudes, YES, that is a Mantis Shrimp you caught, and they are EXTREMELY dangerous as I have seen with my own eyes. Those little b****** can damn near cut a finger off, they are that sharp. What's really scary about them is with the speed that they strike. That claw is so fast that you'll see your own blood on the deck before you even realize that you've been cut. Best to cut the line well above the critter and release them right away!

bchbum54
01-22-2008, 08:58 AM
dude, i goggled for more pix on this mantis shrimp and came up with this pix of a dead one. It will sure make some of us think twice before picking one up.

kanco
01-22-2008, 03:51 PM
Nice catch.

Be very careful if you ever hook another Mantis Shrimp. They are also known as thumb splitters....when they flick they front claws they can really put a hurt on you. It is said that the force of them flicking those claws is almost as powerful as a 22 cal. bullet being shot. They can break the glass in aquariums with a single flick.

Here is what they say:
Mantis shrimp or stomatopods are marine crustaceans belonging to the order Stomatopoda, one part of the class Malacostraca, the largest class of crustaceans. They are neither shrimp nor mantids, but receive their name purely from the physical resemblance to both the terrestrial praying mantis and the shrimp. They may reach 30 cm (12 in) in length, although exceptional cases of up to 38 cm have been recorded [2]. The carapace of mantis shrimp covers only the rear part of the head and the first three segments of the thorax. Mantis shrimp appear in a variety of colours, from shades of browns to bright neon colours.

Called "sea grasshoppers" by ancient Assyrians, "prawn killers" in Australia and now sometimes referred to as "thumb splitters" by modern divers — because of the relative ease the creature has in mutilating small appendages — mantis shrimp sport powerful claws that they use to attack and kill prey by spearing, stunning or dismemberment. Mantis shrimp can break through aquarium glass with a single strike from this weapon [3].

Beeracuda211
01-22-2008, 06:05 PM
Nice Job Sauce... I was rolling by the look of his face from the pic when he sees the Shrimp... LOL Classic...

You ever want to hit cabrillo, I am 10 minutes from there, along with LB, Redondo, ETC...

B/C

reelhigh
01-22-2008, 07:38 PM
That shrimp is a trip, nice fish.

seanboi
01-23-2008, 10:19 PM
Nice catch.

Be very careful if you ever hook another Mantis Shrimp. They are also known as thumb splitters....when they flick they front claws they can really put a hurt on you. It is said that the force of them flicking those claws is almost as powerful as a 22 cal. bullet being shot. They can break the glass in aquariums with a single flick.

Here is what they say:
Mantis shrimp or stomatopods are marine crustaceans belonging to the order Stomatopoda, one part of the class Malacostraca, the largest class of crustaceans. They are neither shrimp nor mantids, but receive their name purely from the physical resemblance to both the terrestrial praying mantis and the shrimp. They may reach 30 cm (12 in) in length, although exceptional cases of up to 38 cm have been recorded [2]. The carapace of mantis shrimp covers only the rear part of the head and the first three segments of the thorax. Mantis shrimp appear in a variety of colours, from shades of browns to bright neon colours.

Called "sea grasshoppers" by ancient Assyrians, "prawn killers" in Australia and now sometimes referred to as "thumb splitters" by modern divers — because of the relative ease the creature has in mutilating small appendages — mantis shrimp sport powerful claws that they use to attack and kill prey by spearing, stunning or dismemberment. Mantis shrimp can break through aquarium glass with a single strike from this weapon [3].

Ya i heard the same thing about those shrimp being able to crack the aquarium glass which is pretty crazy. Bye the way nice report and nice trigger :D !!!

Hitts0n
01-23-2008, 10:29 PM
I learn something new about fishing everyday! Did you make him feel the steel ?
Congrats on that weird shrimp !

one_leg
01-24-2008, 12:09 PM
Jesse, your post wins my vote for the most difficult to read thead of 2008.
I had to scroll all over the place. I still am unsure whether or not I read all the text!......LMAO

That is a nice sized trigger! Congrats to you.

The MANTIS SHRIMP is dangerous, but not poisonous.

Thanks for the post,
One_Leg

Funjunkie74
01-24-2008, 03:24 PM
In China, they serve those stir fried...

In Japan, they serve them on sushi...just like crab....called "Shako".

mmmmmmmmm.....delicious....

FJ74

britheguy
01-25-2008, 09:39 PM
Nice fish WTG, Ive seen that boat near my house!! do u by any chance live near culver city, im just wondering!

steve092
01-26-2008, 10:12 AM
Nice fish!

Greg Madrigal
01-27-2008, 09:44 PM
Cool report-Lotsa diversity! Keep them winter saltwater reports coming!

GM<><