PDA

View Full Version : best motor for an 18 foot whaler

Kalicos
01-19-2008, 09:41 PM
I am buying a whaler with a 150 hp envirude. I maybe be thinking of replacing the motor. From what I have seen and heard, Yamaha makes the best and most fuel economic motors for saltwater application. Then comes Mercs, Hondas and Envirude, Johnsons...what are your guys' opinions on motors for your saltwater boats? Is four stroke really necessary? What should I expect in terms of mpg if I get a 150 hp motor for my 18 footer?

any info would be greatly appreciated.
Kalicos

Brad100
01-20-2008, 09:26 AM
Man, 150 hp is a lot of power for that boat!!! A Yamaha 90 or 115 4 stroke would be all you need or probably want since it's pretty rare to do over 40mph on salt anyways! I prefer 4 stroke and my Yamaha 115 powers my 20' boat just fine with no problems. My top speed is about 38mph.

GeordyBass
01-20-2008, 07:32 PM
to me evinrude seems better yet i have a merc.! :banana:

DyleeBrand
01-21-2008, 10:46 AM
Go with the Yamaha 4 stroker if you can afford it, you ll be glad in the long run....
My Parker have twin 250s, my 17 Edgewater have 90, even my pontoon boat was re-rigged with Yamahas....The best on water your money can buy...
Another thing i still haven t figured out yet, these Yammi outboards are CHEAPER if you bought it in Mexico?..WTF?..
Last trip to Loreto, one local guide told me he paid almost 5 fricking grands cheaper for his 250?...
Maybe something to do with California emission laws?..Use tax?..International trade rules?..Or simply Yamaha executives in Japan love Mexican senoritas?...No ideas..
By the way, 90-115 should be perfect for your Whaler...IMO. :banana:

Kalicos
01-21-2008, 08:34 PM
thnx guys

GeordyBass
01-22-2008, 02:05 PM
thnx guys
oh yeah go to this site.....

http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/

bruce watson
01-24-2008, 07:34 PM
That Evinrude is a pretty good salt water motor. Take it over to Big Jim at J Mac marine in Buena Park and have him check it out for you. It's not going to cost much and you'll know if you have a motor that's good for 10,000 more hours or 10 more hours. Jim is an independent who is the best and least expensive.

Tail Chaser
01-30-2008, 01:37 PM
Im not an outboard guy, But if it turns out you do need a new motor.
For saltwater use, Seems more people like the yamaha 4 stroke.
From some post ive read, The 115 hp 4 stroke seems to get some really good MPGs
Being a 18ft inshore saltwater boat.
Them two stroke Evinrudes were some of the most reliable saltwater motors in there time.(Before the 4 strokes :roll: )
As Bruce Watson said, It would totally be worth getting the old motor checked out by a really good trustworthy mechanic.
Could save thousands of $$ over a new motor. That could buy a lot of fuel.
When I was researching outboard powerered boats 12 years ago.
Seems that the big 2 stroke outboards, People just bought new power heads when there motors got tired or blew up.
Would be worth doing a online search for the price of a new power head compared to getting your old motor rebuilt if you choose to go that route

Kalicos
01-30-2008, 03:16 PM
thnx again guys

fleaflicker
01-30-2008, 07:08 PM
Maybe I'm watching too much TV but the Evinrude E-Tech sounds like a pretty good option. You could get a free DVD to check it out. Too bad they don't make a small engine.

DyleeBrand
01-31-2008, 09:55 AM
Maybe I'm watching too much TV but the Evinrude E-Tech sounds like a pretty good option. You could get a free DVD to check it out. Too bad they don't make a small engine.

Oh yeah, the power of television.....Just like Bassmaster mentioned about the Evinrude website above, it makes you wonder about how this country operates.....I can tell you this, it doesn t matter if you can built the best stuffs on the planet, without the right marketing push?..That good stuffs of yours will be sitting there collecting dust...And anybody here remember the commercials of those Force outboards when they first came out?..Very convincing guys, just like these Etecs...And we all knew how good those Force outboards turned out?...And how long these Etecs s been out?...
If you take the time to go to a local dealer, and better yet, if they let you go to the back...Don t think they will....And see for yourself how many high pressure fuel injection outboards caught on fire, burn to a crisp....just because the injectors pops out spraying fuel inside?..Don t tell me they don t test these motors before selling to the public?..And how many "convincing" videos and free CDs, just like Etecs, they sent out to the publics?...My point s this...If a particular new concepts s out on the market?..Wait and see, because it s not proven yet...
The old carbureted Johnsons s been around forever, beside the oil consumption, a little smokes, crappy cold starting..ect.......typical things associated with older designs, can be said bullet proof guys....Don t let the commercials steer you the wrong way.
Another thing to prove my point, remember the Korean car called Hyundai Excell?..Advertised as the maintenance free and most reliable cars?..And anybody can find the commercials for the best car ever built....the legendary Yugos?..See my point?... :banana: :banana: :banana:

hammerhead
02-11-2008, 07:26 PM
My boat is a 19ft Triumph bay called 190bay runner. It comes with 115hp yamaha but I up gradded to 130hp Honda and have put 300 hrs salt water and my mechanic at Boat Works for honda motors told me it was in impecable shape. Also The fuel economy is great. 30 Gallons of gas with this 4 stroke motor lasts me three trips fishing kelp patties all day, so Honda 130 4 stroke is and remains my motor of choice, The proofs in the pudding.....

GeordyBass
02-11-2008, 10:01 PM
Im not an outboard guy, But if it turns out you do need a new motor.
For saltwater use, Seems more people like the yamaha 4 stroke.
From some post ive read, The 115 hp 4 stroke seems to get some really good MPGs
Being a 18ft inshore saltwater boat.
Them two stroke Evinrudes were some of the most reliable saltwater motors in there time.(Before the 4 strokes :roll: )
As Bruce Watson said, It would totally be worth getting the old motor checked out by a really good trustworthy mechanic.
Could save thousands of $$ over a new motor. That could buy a lot of fuel.
When I was researching outboard powerered boats 12 years ago.
Seems that the big 2 stroke outboards, People just bought new power heads when there motors got tired or blew up.
Would be worth doing a online search for the price of a new power head compared to getting your old motor rebuilt if you choose to go that route
Uh The Evinrude E-Tecs were always and still are 2 strokes! :D