PDA

View Full Version : Surf Fishing near Newport Pier Questions

Ranoxic
01-19-2008, 08:35 PM
I want to try Surf Fishing in the Newport Pier area, primarily for Guitarfish and maybe even a mud marlin.
I'm curious to where it is legal to fish from the surf, if there are such rules. I'm considering maybe 40-60 feet from the jetty north of the pier. I understand that a Ocean Stamp is required, but I am curious if it's not allowed on the beach or anything like that.

Many Thanks

ghetto dad
01-19-2008, 08:50 PM
I want to try Surf Fishing in the Newport Pier area, primarily for Guitarfish and maybe even a mud marlin.
I'm curious to where it is legal to fish from the surf, if there are such rules. I'm considering maybe 40-60 feet from the jetty north of the pier. I understand that a Ocean Stamp is required, but I am curious if it's not allowed on the beach or anything like that.

Many Thanks
as far as i know, you can fish the beach with no problems...and the stamp you are referring to is NOT an ocean stamp...your license is already and ocean/freshwater license...the stamp is a "southern cali stamp"...good luck man

GD

Fish Dog
01-20-2008, 10:18 AM
Yes, no problem with surf fishing in NB. The only "restriction" I've ever heard of there is that the Lifeguards will ask you to leave if the crowd of swimmers gets too thick but that shouldn't be problem this time of year. As for the license, yes, you need the license and the ocean enhancement stamp.

Rooster
01-20-2008, 10:53 PM
As fish dog said, your license is for freshwater only! Ya need to purchase the ocean stamp!