PDA

View Full Version : Wingnut Nails PB "Flat Boy!" 1/19/08

Wingnut
01-19-2008, 12:21 PM
After a successful recon mission last Tuesday, and marking all the interesting holes & structures this area has to offer, we decided to hit the same place again this morning. All I can say is that doing your homework really pays off! Beats just showing up and throwing blind. Got there just in time to enjoy another awesome sunrise. Checked our notes and surveyed the surf conditions for a bit. I said to Mike "So should we put on the Krocs again this morning...?" He looks out to the water & said "No, it's an LC day today..." I'm beginning to understand his decision making process. Soon... we will think as one Surf Master. :Wink: :Secret:

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture006-6.jpg

I was breaking in my new baitcast outfit today. The Daiwa Luna 253L (Lefty) and Loomis IMX combo. Let's see if it can match up to the Calcutta 200DC standards. By days end, it would prove itself worthy. Tied on a LC Factory Tune "Sound Mute" Metallic Sardine and let it fly. It flew alright... first cast and I snapped it off, sailing into the surf abyss. :!!!: :Angry: Mike was laughing his a** off and said "That's not a good sign... maybe it's not your day." I shook my head in disgust, probably lost about 20 yards of line!?? But the Luna has a higher capacity spool so I was still good to go. Tied on another LC and jumped back into action.

We worked the area for a good hour and caught a handful of Perches, decent slabs but nothing worthwhile. Then it was time to hit another spot down the road. Mike says let's go and I said let me have a few casts at this rip current area... just as the LC was suspended, wobbling stationary in the back current, my rod tip almost dipped into the water on a savage strike. :Shocked: I reared back and set the hook... the fish immediately took about 20 yards of my #10 on the run. I turn to Mike & yelled "This is a big one!" It was tough battling this fish in the rip tide, it seems to know how to use the current to its advantage. I worked it sideways out of draw zone and used the incoming surf to even the odds. Finally, he was dragged out of its domain.

What a beautiful fish, look at the heft on this "Flat Boy". Measured just over 26 inches. Snapped a few pics and Mike says "Gonna keep him?" I look at my PB to date beauty & said "No man... let it go." I guess my LC offering to the surf Gods earlier was rewarded. :Big Grin:
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture008-6.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture007-6.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture005-6.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture004-6.jpg

We moved down the road a few miles and continue with our Butt hunt. Caught a few more Perches but no more Hali action. I did manage to get another YFC on the Kroc. Getting near the time for me to get to work so we worked our way back to the car by 9:30am and headed home... with visions of my future 30+ Hali dancing in my head. :Cool:
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture011-4.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture012-4.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture013-4.jpg

Surf Master Mike (Kichigai1) & his buddy Chris. Nice to meet you Chris! :Cool:
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture014-3.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture015-3.jpg

Conditions: Moderate 1-4' surf / little wind / no salad / clear water - near perfect.

"There is a big difference between fishing... and standing on the shore looking like an idiot."

Until our paths cross again... FISH ON! :Cool:

Arthur (Wingnut) :Envious:
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture001-6.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture013-3.jpg

SanDimasLMB
01-19-2008, 12:57 PM
Nice report and pics again Arthur. Congrats on the new PB. 28 inches? Only 2 inches short of that 30 incher.

Thanks for the read :thumb:

sansou
01-19-2008, 01:22 PM
Outstanding!

That is one heck of a fish!!!! Good job landing it, and mega fishing karma for letting her go!

See you soon,

Sansou

yacker
01-19-2008, 01:52 PM
Getting bigger! That's one nice Halibut- congrats!

Going out with Dan tomorrow, hopefully we have some luck out there...

Chris

kpn
01-19-2008, 02:04 PM
Congrats on the NICE hali buddy. You almost get the goal I'm setting to get (for along time).....30" :lol: .

NICE FISH!

KPN.

tacklejunkie
01-19-2008, 02:13 PM
Nice fish man! The big one must have fought like crazy. Keep up the good work :thumb:

Sinjin Kim
01-19-2008, 02:17 PM
Nice going again Arthur. You sure are en fuego! Damn, makes me won't to hit the surf again, but I promised myself that if I have time to fish, it will be dedicated to bass fishing. However, I finally got a production company to film my DVD (sorry guys for the long wait) and I will be shooting in late Feb- mid March.
You are more then welcome to come out while we shoot and if you land a fish, you will be in the DVD.

Send me a PM with your number and I will contact you when it is time to shoot.

SOSO
01-19-2008, 02:44 PM
Very Nice Wingnut!! Your Killing 'em.. Great report and pics.

blackwater
01-19-2008, 04:13 PM
Nice Hali Wingnut! Another notch on your belt...
If my boss wasn't such an A-hole I would go out fishing with you all more often...
I need the practice...
Let's GO FISHING!

dfish
01-19-2008, 04:29 PM
Author my mission is to catch a halibut like the one that you brought up today i will post pictures tomorrow. I sound like Ali predicting a 4th round knock out i really hope that i catch one. Great catch bro so far u have a hundred percent success rate. :)

Baseballer44
01-19-2008, 05:18 PM
Awesome job Wingnut! Congrats on the new PB and the new set-up. One of these you are gonna have to eat your own butt, but I understand you not wanting it to be your PB. Great work out there.

City Dad
01-19-2008, 05:51 PM
Wingnut, you're an animal!!!

So, how 'bout we start a pool on FNN: What date will we see the topic "Wingnut lands PB coelacanth!"

You know it's just a matter of time...

calico killer kevin
01-19-2008, 06:00 PM
Dude! :shock: Do you ever get skunked! :lol:

Calico Killer Kevin

fishincrave
01-19-2008, 08:50 PM
nice going there MR. Wingnut that sure is nice toad of a Butt out the surf congrats

Sean

TunaChaser469
01-19-2008, 09:39 PM
Beatiful Fish. Nice job on all of them, especially letting them go.

one_leg
01-19-2008, 10:41 PM
Congrats to you Arthur!

O_L

paintnfish
01-20-2008, 04:31 AM
Hey, isnt that a non-smoking beach... J/K Thats a nice looking halibut, nice work.
You remind me of someone else in search of the big girl about a year ago, good luck

Jikser
01-20-2008, 08:27 AM
Very nice Arthur!!! Got one about the same size yesterday on my first yakking expedition...I was stoked!!!

steve092
01-20-2008, 10:20 AM
Nice lookin' fish!

Brian_GSC
01-20-2008, 01:03 PM
Dude! Nice flattie from the surf!

You and Sinjin fishing together? Halibut, WATCH OUT!!!

Wingnut
01-21-2008, 11:38 PM
SanDimasLMB wrote: Nice report and pics again Arthur. Congrats on the new PB. 28 inches? Only 2 inches short of that 30 incher.
That's one of my goals for this year is to nab a 30+ Flattie... just a couple more inches!

Sansou wrote: Outstanding!
That is one heck of a fish!!!! Good job landing it, and mega fishing karma for letting her go!
See you soon,
Sansou
Thanks Rich, she was a tough one to pull in caught in the rip tide. See ya Sunday at the "Target".

Yacker wrote: Getting bigger! That's one nice Halibut- congrats!
Going out with Dan tomorrow, hopefully we have some luck out there...
Two more inches and I would have got my 30! Big Dave told me he saw you guys out fishing the surf Sunday & that one of you guys nailed a nice Hali, congrats!

KPN wrote: Congrats on the NICE hali buddy. You almost get the goal I'm setting to get (for along time).....30" .
NICE FISH!
KPN.
Thanks Khanh, my 30+ is coming... I'm hoping this summer. :mrgreen:
How's your lure business coming along?

Tacklejunkie wrote: Nice fish man! The big one must have fought like crazy. Keep up the good work.
It was a strong fish, and fighting it against the rip tide makes it that much harder to land. I was worried the entire time, but it worked out.

Sinjin Kim wrote: Nice going again Arthur. You sure are en fuego! Damn, makes me want to hit the surf again, but I promised myself that if I have time to fish, it will be dedicated to bass fishing. However, I finally got a production company to film my DVD (sorry guys for the long wait) and I will be shooting in late Feb- mid March.
You are more than welcome to come out while we shoot and if you land a fish, you will be in the DVD.
Send me a PM with your number and I will contact you when it is time to shoot.
Nice chatting with you over the phone on Saturday Sinjin. Thanks for letting me pick your brain about surf fishing, you are filled with valuable knowledge. Get that seminar schedule going quick!

SoSoFresh wrote: Very Nice Wingnut!! Your Killing 'em.. Great report and pics.
Thank you sir, gotta ride my lucky streak while it lasts.

Blackwater wrote: Nice Hali Wingnut! Another notch on your belt...
If my boss wasn't such an A-hole I would go out fishing with you all more often...
I need the practice...
Let's GO FISHING!
Your boss IS an A-hole! How's your business going buddy? It's nice to be your own boss. You should give yourself a break more often, I do. See you this weekend as soon as I figure where to go with all this rain coming... maybe nowhere.

DFish wrote: Arthur my mission is to catch a halibut like the one that you brought up today i will post pictures tomorrow. I sound like Ali predicting a 4th round knock out i really hope that i catch one. Great catch bro so far u have a hundred percent success rate.
You WILL get that big Butt one of these days Big Dave and I want to be standing right next to you when you pull that monster in. I'll be watching your back looking out for the "Hitman". :bigsmile:

Baseballer44 wrote: Awesome job Wingnut! Congrats on the new PB and the new set-up. One of these you are gonna have to eat your own butt, but I understand you not wanting it to be your PB. Great work out there.
One of these days I will keep a Butt just to learn how to filet that odd looking thing. :twisted:

City Dad wrote: Wingnut, you're an animal!!!
So, how 'bout we start a pool on FNN: What date will we see the topic "Wingnut lands PB coelacanth!"
You know it's just a matter of time...
You're hilarious Tim, if it swims... I'll eventually pull it out of the water.

Calico Killer Kevin wrote: Dude! Do you ever get skunked!
Never... ever, and I post 100% of my outings, but don't jinx me! :lol:

Fishincrave wrote: nice going there MR. Wingnut that sure is nice toad of a Butt out the surf congrats.
Thanks Sean, there's bigger toads to be had out there.

TunaChaser469 wrote: Beautiful Fish. Nice job on all of them, especially letting them go.
They fought hard for their freedom, they deserve to live. But if I ever pull a Striper out of the surf... it's dinner!

One_Leg wrote: Congrats to you Arthur!
Thank you Mr. Bad Boy of FNN... see you on Sunday at SARL.

Paintnfish wrote: Hey, isnt that a non-smoking beach... J/K Thats a nice looking halibut, nice work.
You remind me of someone else in search of the big girl about a year ago, good luck.
How do you know what beach we were at? hee hee, Any surf veteran will know where it is by just looking at my photos.

Jikser wrote: Very nice Arthur!!! Got one about the same size yesterday on my first yakking expedition...I was stoked!!!
I saw that! Very nice indeed. One of these days I will get a Kayak & join you out there.

Steve092 wrote: Nice lookin' fish!
Thanks Steve. 8)

Brian_GSC wrote: Dude! Nice flattie from the surf!
You and Sinjin fishing together? Halibut, WATCH OUT!!!
Hey thanks Brian, if Sinjin ever pry himself from the Bass scene maybe we'll pull some Butts out of the surf together.
How's all the babies doing buddy? Hope all is well.

Fisherman57
01-22-2008, 10:33 AM
Great stuff Arthur, that is one NICE fish and a job well done.... :thumb:
CONGRATULATIONS!

WOKIEE
01-22-2008, 07:19 PM
Again you impress us :o way to go!!! Im hungrier then a rat with lock jar for one of those :bang: right on..Cheers all drink to that.. WOKIEE..........

gavin670
01-22-2008, 07:26 PM
SWEEEEEEET! Nice butt.

WOKIEE
01-22-2008, 07:42 PM
YOU never stop amazing us nice post just keep on keepin on ....the surf gods are with you....WOKIEE

seanboi
01-23-2008, 10:29 PM
Damn excellant report and congrats on the hali!!

rocklee
01-23-2008, 10:55 PM
Another Great report!

Awesome fish!
And you release it!?! I though you were only gonna release your first legal.
I don't if I can release a fish like that, I heard hali are the best tasting meats!

Congratulation brother!
Another fine fish!

Wingnut
01-23-2008, 11:06 PM
Fisherman57 wrote: Great stuff Arthur, that is one NICE fish and a job well done....
CONGRATULATIONS!
Hey Dana, remember a few months back how excited I was to pull my first fish from the surf? :banana: A six inch Perch... pretty funny huh? Can't wait until March for the Zuma Surf Event!

Wookie wrote: Again you impress us way to go!!! Im hungrier then a rat with lock jar for one of those right on..Cheers all drink to that...
YOU never stop amazing us nice post just keep on keepin on ....the surf gods are with you....WOKIEE
Thanks Wookie, the Surf Gods has been smilling on me lately. :D

Gavin670 wrote: SWEEEEEEET! Nice butt.
Hey Gavin, how are you doing surf fishing, catch the bug yet?!? :wink:

Seanboi wrote: Damn excellent report and congrats on the hali!!
Thanks Sean, next step, a 30 inch Hali!

Rocklee wrote: Another Great report!
Awesome fish!
And you release it!?! I though you were only gonna release your first legal.
I don't if I can release a fish like that, I heard hali are the best tasting meats!
Congratulation brother!
Another fine fish!
Thanks brother Nam! One of these days I'm gonna keep a legal Hali just to learn how to fillet the sucker. People keep telling me that it's easy... doesn't look like it though. I'm looking forward to another one of your kayak reports buddy. :mrgreen:

troutdog
01-23-2008, 11:28 PM
You cease to amaze me Wingnut! That is a sweet catch....good for you on the cpr!

YOU ARE NOT A MAN!!!! :lol:

TD

rocklee
01-23-2008, 11:34 PM
I'm looking forward to another one of your kayak reports buddy :mrgreen:

I been wanting to take it out for a while too, but there weather being this cold,
and I don't have any protection against the cold water. Maybe I should get a set
of fishing waders like you,
but as soon as the weather permits, I'm out on the Kayak!

Native Gal
01-24-2008, 03:08 PM
Nice Hali Wingnut
Looking forward to your next report and your next PB.

NG

kichigai1
01-25-2008, 10:57 AM
It was fun fishing that morning -good company -yourself excluded :wink: :mrgreen: :lol: nice structure- nice friends
lookout halibut here I come! and Stripers and White seabass and and and well we'll see 8)