PDA

View Full Version : More then Xlnt fishing at Cortez Banks

Tail Chaser
01-18-2008, 06:06 PM
Was just checking out http://www.TempBreak.com
Kind of curious if all So Calif is like a icy 50 degrees.Actually looks like the fishing should be fairly good. Some mid 50+ just offshore.
Not going out till I recieve and put my new fuel flow meter on my boat though. Just ordered it yesterday with some fishing DVDs :D
Anyway, Check out the pic of the dude surfing at Cortez Bank.Pic came up clicking on the little icon at the banks on TempBreak.com
That could cut a fishing trip short :shock:

Tail Chaser
01-27-2008, 03:31 PM
Guess nobody thinks thats a big wave :roll:
Maybe nobody no's the Cortez Bank is a yellowtail hotspot offshore past San Clemente island :roll:
O'well, I dont really care either :lol:

Cap'n Ron
01-27-2008, 05:12 PM
BR,

90 frickin miles outa Mission Bay, ferchrissake, I'll go in your boat or follow out in mine, if ya carry extra diesel for me!

Been out on the Butterfly, E & W, but Cortez!

Daaaaaaannnnnnngggggg pucker factor on a wave like that in a PB? That'd be a EEE Ticket fer sure.

CR

aahhhh,
Wen we leavin?

Tail Chaser
01-28-2008, 12:42 PM
Hey Ron,
Unfortunately, My boat does not have the range to make it to the Cortez Bank and back either. Would be cutting it real close hitting the Cortez bank, Then fuel up at Catalina for the trip home. Thats a lot of fuel burned for a place that you can not anchor off of safely for overnight trips. :cry:
Ive got to install my new fuel flow metor. From pvt boat reports ive read about them gauges. Looks like ive been babying my motor to much for economy.
Looks like I can spin my motor another 300/400rpm faster and be in the most fuel efficient range of the motor :D Should pay for itself in the first 200 miles at sea. Hoping to get another 40 mile range per tankfull having this gauge. Adjusting throttle, speed, trim, etc.
Faster cruise speeds and better MPG :mrgreen: Cant beat that :banana:

Cap'n Ron
01-28-2008, 01:19 PM
Daaaaannnnnnngggg it!

I'm to old for that kinda stunt in my 20ft,

Just too many common sense rules kick me in my butt and tell my brain NO!

,,,,,,,,,,but then again,

that would be one HELLOFATRIP!

CR

one_leg
01-28-2008, 01:27 PM
Ron, I dodn't think you boat turns fast enough to get out of the green room when the wave closes out on us!

Might wanna wear a lifejacket just in case. And a pair of depends adult undergarments.

O_L

deanhall32
01-28-2008, 01:52 PM
Was out there fishing in October. It is really strange to be 50+ miles out in the open ocean and come across a kelp bed with 20-40 feet of water and catching calico bass and yellowtail. It was grease flat. Can't imagine it with big waves pushing through!!

Tail Chaser
01-28-2008, 02:03 PM
Ron, I dodn't think you boat turns fast enough to get out of the green room when the wave closes out on us!

Might wanna wear a lifejacket just in case. And a pair of depends adult undergarments.

O_L
All you need is a good longboard. Drag it along like a dingy. When the timeings right,Its bottom drop time :banana:

Tail Chaser
01-28-2008, 02:21 PM
Was out there fishing in October. It is really strange to be 50+ miles out in the open ocean and come across a kelp bed with 20-40 feet of water and catching calico bass and yellowtail. It was grease flat. Can't imagine it with big waves pushing through!!
Watched a cool show last season (Speargun Hunter) They launched out of Ventura and went to Cortez. Boat was a big Flybridge 40ft+? Sportfisher
They had whitecap 10ft rollers coming through. Bow of the boat was almost going under as the waves passed under the boat.
They went to San Clemente shortly after that.
Just watched another episode of Speargun Hunter last week. WSB hunting at Catalina. Got a 50# WSB. Lots of schools.
They were amazed how inconsistent the fish are. 10ft of water one day, 100ft next day same spot.

Cap'n Ron
01-28-2008, 07:17 PM

Might wanna wear a lifejacket just in case.

And a pair of depends adult undergarments.

O_L

Thats why I like the self bailing deck.

CR

Tail Chaser
01-29-2008, 07:34 PM
[quote="one_leg":d1834]Ron, I dodn't think you boat turns fast enough to get out of the green room when the wave closes out on us!

Might wanna wear a lifejacket just in case.

And a pair of depends adult undergarments.

O_L

Thats why I like the self bailing deck.

CR[/quote:d1834] Dont all boats have self bailing decks. Once the boat turns over :lol: