PDA

View Full Version : Daiwa Steez & Shimano Cumara Baitcasting Rods.

Wingnut
01-18-2008, 01:14 PM
I need some inputs on the Daiwa Steez and the Shimano Cumara baitcasting rods.

For general surf fishing applications - mostly throwing stickbaits.

They're both beautifully built rods, which would you prefer & why?

Please leave the Loomis out of the equation.

I appreciate any comments and replies, thanks!

cornbaitkid
01-18-2008, 03:39 PM
the steez because it is super sensitive and it`s really lite.

IN2DEEP
01-19-2008, 09:45 AM
I haven't checked out either one, but if they are similar rods I'd go with the Shimano for the lifetime warranty.
Do the Diawa rods have a lifetime warranty? Or do they just tell you "Sorry, it's older than one year, you have to buy another one. :bang: Forget that!

JMO

SanDimasLMB
01-19-2008, 01:02 PM
Daiwa and Shimano are both great companies that care about their customers. Don't get the steez though, the rod is made of less fibers than a normal rod, which is why it is so light. One wrong move, and it'll snap.

Sinjin Kim
01-19-2008, 01:46 PM
I see you've got the surf fishing bug. Great! It is a lot of fun and I've enjoyed my days targeting halibut from our local shores. To give you some insight from my experiences, I would STRONGLY suggest that you get a rod with a parabolic action.

Jerkbaits are not crankbaits. Jerkbaits aka known as "ripbaits" are traditionally designed to be "ripped" and paused with different cadences whereas crankbaits are designed to be cranked through objects to created deflection and getting bass to react to it.

When fishing jerkbaits along our shores, I've found the most productive method is a slow steady wind. I've tried ripping and pausing jerkbaits with no significant results.

As for rods, since I most often use braided lines (50# Suffix or Spider Ultra Cast), a rod with a slower action helps me from prematurely setting or grinding the hook into the fishes mouth. For this same reason, most die-hard crankbait fishermen (when targeting LMB) will opt to use S or E-Glass rods (fiberglass). Morever, halibut have very soft mouths and often times the hooks of a jerkbait are fouled hook on the top of the fish's head. The skin of a halibut is very soft and halibut tend to shake their heads often during the fight. With this said, if you have a rod that has a fast or especially and extra fast action, you bet you will lose more fish.

I strongly recommend using a traditional 7.5-8" crankbait rod designed for LMB. I personally use a ROGUE CB3C. This rod is rated for 8-17# test, 7'11" in length and although it is constructed with 100% graphite, it has a slow action and handles both LMB and halibut very well. A rod with this characteristic also allows you to cast longer distances. I especially like this rod because I can "roll cast" long distances when fishing from jetties or other areas where the overhand cast is not feasible.

Just imagine using a 7' fast action rod designed for jigs, t-rigs, C-Rigs or even worse flipping and hooking a large halibut on a "no-stretch" braided line. When a large halibut makes its run and violently shakes its head, what aspect of your tackle will "give" to prevent a lost fish? Thus the reason to use a longer rod with a more parabolic action. True, you can use mono and facilitate the lack of "give" or stretch in the line, but over the years and a couple hundred legal halibut later, I've found braided line gets bit better because it is more buoyant than mono and keeps a heavy suspending jerkbait such as a LC Flashminnow 110 off the bottom.

As for reels, I would not use a Steez reel in the surf and especially for halibut. First, I don't think it will fair well in the saltwater environment, the drag system is weak (even after upgrading to after market drag washers. trust me, I've upgraded 7 Steez reels for friends. drags got a lot smoother, but the stopping power was not there), and reel doesn't hold as much line as other reels. There are times you will hook a big bat ray or SNGF while using jerkbaits and a reel with heavy line capacity will ease your mind.

As for reels, a Luna 203 is great because it has a slower gear ratio (which is needed to prevent premature hook setting and consistent lure action), great line capacity, designed for braided lines (look at the line guide. no plastic parts here) and has tremendous torque to help bring in the largest of halibut. Once you upgrade the drag with Carbontex washers, you will have the smoothest drag system you've ever used.

One last tip, change out the hooks on the LC 110s (regardless if they are the fresh or saltwater types). I've gone through just about every treble hook on the market (in size #6) to find one that is durable and light (too heavy of a wire will kill the action of your lure, especially when slow rolling. depth control is another issue with heavier hooks), and a hook that will stay in the fishes mouth. I can go on and on of each hook that I've used from Owners to Mustads, but just trust me when I recommend using a #6 EWG treble from Gamakatsu (black nickel). The hooks are light, stays well in the fishes mouth unline traditional round bend hooks, far better hook ratio with larger halibut which has thick outer "lips" and will rarely straighten out.

Well, if you have any more questions or would like to hit the surf one day, shoot me a PM.

Caught on a Rogue Rods CB3C / Daiwa Luna 203 (carbontex drag upgrade) / LC FM110 (Metallic Sardine, Gamakatsu EWG #6 hook upgrade) and 50# Spiderwire.
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n212/halijedi/12354920_l-1.jpg

SOSO
01-19-2008, 03:01 PM
I see you've got the surf fishing bug. Great! It is a lot of fun and I've enjoyed my days targeting halibut from our local shores. To give you some insight from my experiences, I would STRONGLY suggest that you get a rod with a parabolic action.

Jerkbaits are not crankbaits. Jerkbaits aka known as "ripbaits" are traditionally designed to be "ripped" and paused with different cadences whereas crankbaits are designed to be cranked through objects to created deflection and getting bass to react to it.

When fishing jerkbaits along our shores, I've found the most productive method is a slow steady wind. I've tried ripping and pausing jerkbaits with no significant results.

As for rods, since I most often use braided lines (50# Suffix or Spider Ultra Cast), a rod with a slower action helps me from prematurely setting or grinding the hook into the fishes mouth. For this same reason, most die-hard crankbait fishermen (when targeting LMB) will opt to use S or E-Glass rods (fiberglass). Morever, halibut have very soft mouths and often times the hooks of a jerkbait are fouled hook on the top of the fish's head. The skin of a halibut is very soft and halibut tend to shake their heads often during the fight. With this said, if you have a rod that has a fast or especially and extra fast action, you bet you will lose more fish.

I strongly recommend using a traditional 7.5-8" crankbait rod designed for LMB. I personally use a ROGUE CB3C. This rod is rated for 8-17# test, 7'11" in length and although it is constructed with 100% graphite, it has a slow action and handles both LMB and halibut very well. A rod with this characteristic also allows you to cast longer distances. I especially like this rod because I can "roll cast" long distances when fishing from jetties or other areas where the overhand cast is not feasible.

Just imagine using a 7' fast action rod designed for jigs, t-rigs, C-Rigs or even worse flipping and hooking a large halibut on a "no-stretch" braided line. When a large halibut makes its run and violently shakes its head, what aspect of your tackle will "give" to prevent a lost fish? Thus the reason to use a longer rod with a more parabolic action. True, you can use mono and facilitate the lack of "give" or stretch in the line, but over the years and a couple hundred legal halibut later, I've found braided line gets bit better because it is more buoyant than mono and keeps a heavy suspending jerkbait such as a LC Flashminnow 110 off the bottom.

As for reels, I would not use a Steez reel in the surf and especially for halibut. First, I don't think it will fair well in the saltwater environment, the drag system is weak (even after upgrading to after market drag washers. trust me, I've upgraded 7 Steez reels for friends. drags got a lot smoother, but the stopping power was not there), and reel doesn't hold as much line as other reels. There are times you will hook a big bat ray or SNGF while using jerkbaits and a reel with heavy line capacity will ease your mind.

As for reels, a Luna 203 is great because it has a slower gear ratio (which is needed to prevent premature hook setting and consistent lure action), great line capacity, designed for braided lines (look at the line guide. no plastic parts here) and has tremendous torque to help bring in the largest of halibut. Once you upgrade the drag with Carbontex washers, you will have the smoothest drag system you've ever used.

One last tip, change out the hooks on the LC 110s (regardless if they are the fresh or saltwater types). I've gone through just about every treble hook on the market (in size #6) to find one that is durable and light (too heavy of a wire will kill the action of your lure, especially when slow rolling. depth control is another issue with heavier hooks), and a hook that will stay in the fishes mouth. I can go on and on of each hook that I've used from Owners to Mustads, but just trust me when I recommend using a #6 EWG treble from Gamakatsu (black nickel). The hooks are light, stays well in the fishes mouth unline traditional round bend hooks, far better hook ratio with larger halibut which has thick outer "lips" and will rarely straighten out.

Well, if you have any more questions or would like to hit the surf one day, shoot me a PM.

Caught on a Rogue Rods CB3C / Daiwa Luna 203 (carbontex drag upgrade) / LC FM110 (Metallic Sardine, Gamakatsu EWG #6 hook upgrade) and 50# Spiderwire.
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n212/halijedi/12354920_l-1.jpg

Yeah, what he said! Haha..Nice read Sin, good to see you posting tackle info. again...

Sinjin Kim
01-19-2008, 03:05 PM
What's up stranger!? I thought you moved to Zimbabwe or something. How are your kids? Hope all is well. Give me a call if you want to do some bass fishing and get your halibut tackle ready. Once I start filming here shortly, I really want you to be a part of this.

SOSO
01-19-2008, 03:40 PM
What's up stranger!? I thought you moved to Zimbabwe or something. How are your kids? Hope all is well. Give me a call if you want to do some bass fishing and get your halibut tackle ready. Once I start filming here shortly, I really want you to be a part of this.

Haha. Just been working and spending time with family... Kids and wifie are doing fine, thanks for asking. Yeah, let me know when you go surf fishing. Halibut tackle is ready, im ready to roll!

Wingnut
01-20-2008, 08:05 PM
Thanks everybody for your assessment of the two rods. I'll make up my mind here in a couple of days.

Sinjin, you went above & beyond the call of duty man. Thanks for the great tips & info. Nice chatting with you yesterday. Keep me updated on all your projects!

Arthur (Wingnut)