PDA

View Full Version : Was I tricked? Or am I just stupid?

baadfish69
01-17-2008, 06:52 PM
I posted this link on the "Bloodiest Fish pics" thread, but thought I would get some of ya'lls input too.

I went on my first saltwater trip back in July, and caught my first Albacore Tuna, aboard "The Indian" out of Point Loma. After the catch, the deckhand asked if it was my first...I said yes, and then he proceeded to reach in through the gills and rip the beating heart out of the fish. He handed it to me and said, "Its tradition, you gotta eat it." So of course, trying to look cool in front of everybody, I go for it.....

Anybody else do this?

Here is a link to the video if anybody wants a good laugh.... ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETIEEoWrT8c

GOOD TIMES!! (I think....)

Wingnut
01-17-2008, 06:59 PM
That is the tradition... or so I've heard. :wink:

TunaChaser469
01-17-2008, 07:18 PM
Stupidity has no boundaries. A boat captain had me do the same thing when I caught my first Blue Fin out of Cabo San Lucas. :mrgreen:

Fish Dog
01-17-2008, 08:05 PM
Gotta do it! That goes back to the Indians (Native Americans? if you want to be PC) When you get your first deer you have to eat the heart! Same goes for your first tuna IMO.

flopps1
01-17-2008, 10:56 PM
Yes, it's tradition when you get your first tuna...Suppose to bring bad fishing karma if you don't. Kidda like the rule on bringing bananas on a boat....It's a no...no...Based on old commericial traditions. If I remember correctly.

Porkchop5420
01-17-2008, 11:28 PM
yea i did the same thing last season. But yea it is tradition

IncredibleHuck
01-18-2008, 01:23 AM
Mike you crack me up!

Ambassadorhawg
01-18-2008, 06:30 AM
Yes, it is tradition. You are not stupid. The choice was yours. They say that if you do not, you will not have good luck again for tuna. I never did it and I have caught BIG tuna since. I've been on several absolute slay missions since my first tuna.

Just for laughs, my buddy Matt takes a bite out of a tuna's heart on EVERY SINGLE TUNA TRIP HE GOES ON!!!

Granny Fish
01-18-2008, 08:59 AM
Tuna heart tastes good! :P

I think its something that the old salts say to to newbs, but its fun to play along. Besides, what if it's true and you never caught another tuna! :lol:

Tuna heart really does taste good. :wink:

LA Smoker
01-18-2008, 09:36 AM
Yes, it's tradition when you get your first tuna...Suppose to bring bad fishing karma if you don't. Kidda like the rule on bringing bananas on a boat....It's a no...no...Based on old commericial traditions. If I remember correctly.

ABSOLUTELY No Bananas on board!!! And yes ya gotta eat the heart, liver, and bladder if it's your first one. :lol:

one_leg
01-18-2008, 11:09 AM

ABSOLUTELY No Bananas on board!!! And yes ya gotta eat the heart, liver, and bladder if it's your first one. :lol:

Bob, you left out the anus. What about the anus?

BTW, did you find the fish skin I taped to the bottom of your tackle bag?

One_Leg

FISHINGBEE
01-18-2008, 04:07 PM
I went out of San Felipe many years ago and the target was giant grouper. After hooking and battling many grouper I finally landed one. That was when I ate my first and only beating heart. It was disgusting and i hope i never have to do it again. No one ever asked me to try a tuna heart though.
As for :banana:s I found out the hard way. My Grandma packed 3 :banana:s in our lunch. I did not know about the curse of the :banana: . Before we actually found out they were on board everything was going wrong. We took off from Shelter Island we headed for the Rock Pile about 7 or so miles past South Coranado Islands. Nothing was happening and the fish we was looking for were Yellows. My Dad heard on the radio that a few boats were nailing them under Patties so we headed towards Ensenada. We locating some patties and when i went to grab a live bait they were all dead the pump broke. We decided to use iron jigs all three of us on board hooked up all were lost or broken off. WE were finding lots of patties and most had fish that would eat the iron but still we could not land one. Still not knowing we had the bananas the wind started picking up and the waves got really big. Thats when my uncle Joe thought it was time for a snack reaching into the bag of food came out a :banana: . My Dad reached over grabbed the banana and tossed it into the ocean. He explained to us about how bananas were bad luck. Normally i do not believe in stuff like that. We soon ran out of gas trying to ride the rough sea home. We actually made it to South island before we ran out. We had Vessel assist and they had to run out just to bring us fuel. Needless to say my Dad hung a plastic :banana: on the front rail of the boat till we caught a yellowtail so the hex would be removed. The other experience was at lake Sutherland in SD a buddy of mine had a :banana: in his cooler. Again i had no idea the :banana:s was on board we through out the anchor and it was not tied to the rope. I dumped a brand new Calcutta 200 and rod over board. After tring to retrieve it for two hours i finally snagged the rod with a little george on the cork handle. I wanted to beach the boat and rest since the day was going wrong. Hooking several bass and loosing every fish. MY first cast out of the boat i hooked and landed a bass. Thats when i looked over and saw my buddy eating a :banana:. SO i am a firm believer of the hex. The other i actually new about and i still went out on Admiral out of Morro Bay. I saw a basket of :banana:s in the galley since my cousin paid for the trip i went anyways. The day before the boat landed 10 albies per angler. I caught one albacore after a bad day out at sea nothing went right. So the storal of the mory is dont go fishing if :banana:s are on board.

FISHNBEE

Granny Fish
01-18-2008, 04:38 PM
Bananas are only bad luck when Bruce Watson is on the aiming end of one.

FISHINGBEE
01-18-2008, 09:28 PM
I am sorry but who is Bruce Watson? I tell you what ill invite you out fishing bring as many :banana:s as you can and we will decide from there anybody up for this challenge?

FISHNBEE :?:

jeff4321
01-18-2008, 11:00 PM
thank god i didnt have to do that for my first albie.

Ranoxic
01-19-2008, 07:45 PM
The Banana thing is a total myth.

And the heart thing is real.

That was icky

ghetto dad
01-19-2008, 08:51 PM
yes, it is tradition......ive had yellowtail, blufin,yellowfin, and albie hearts....great job bro!!

GD

steve092
01-20-2008, 10:30 AM
I don't think I'm gonna target those fish now...

City Dad
01-21-2008, 10:57 AM
I had a simmilar experience at my first cat show... My Mr. Snuggles had just taken best in breed and, well, I totally fell for the "it's tradition" thing. Afterwards it was really awkward - the other, more experienced guys who pulled this joke on me were, like, cracking up - but the owner of the runner-up was not happy... :oops:

one_leg
01-21-2008, 12:08 PM
Fish hearts are easy.

spooks
01-21-2008, 01:29 PM
Gotta do it! That goes back to the Indians (Native Americans? if you want to be PC) When you get your first deer you have to eat the heart! Same goes for your first tuna IMO.
lol I'm not Indian I guess I get a skip pass I guess I'm just older theres is no way I would eat it. it doesn't prove or accomplices anything. just another ritual

Skyler
01-21-2008, 04:36 PM
I had a simmilar experience at my first cat show... My Mr. Snuggles had just taken best in breed and, well, I totally fell for the "it's tradition" thing. Afterwards it was really awkward - the other, more experienced guys who pulled this joke on me were, like, cracking up - but the owner of the runner-up was not happy... :oops:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHA! OMFG THAT WAS F---in' FUNNY!

mrjonez
01-22-2008, 05:05 PM
bring some lime and salt. i cant get enough of em now.

fleaflicker
01-22-2008, 05:44 PM
Maybe you were tricked, but if you were tricked, then you are STUPID. :shock: JK

You asked, the thread went on and nobody said it. Like I said I'm kidding about the stupid statement above.

baadfish69
01-22-2008, 08:06 PM
Maybe you were tricked, but if you were tricked, then you are STUPID. :shock: JK

You asked, the thread went on and nobody said it. Like I said I'm kidding about the stupid statement above.

No offense taken....actually Ive been waiting for somebody to say it! :lol:

Thanks to everyone who has commented! Appreciate the input.... :wink:

jerkit-1
01-23-2008, 01:22 AM
I posted this link on the "Bloodiest Fish pics" thread, but thought I would get some of ya'lls input too.

I went on my first saltwater trip back in July, and caught my first Albacore Tuna, aboard "The Indian" out of Point Loma. After the catch, the deckhand asked if it was my first...I said yes, and then he proceeded to reach in through the gills and rip the beating heart out of the fish. He handed it to me and said, "Its tradition, you gotta eat it." So of course, trying to look cool in front of everybody, I go for it.....

Anybody else do this?

Here is a link to the video if anybody wants a good laugh.... ;)
Way to go, what a man! Scarfed my first tuna heart when i was 18 i'm now 52 .I now like them with rice, kelp paper, and lots of wasabi sause.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETIEEoWrT8c

GOOD TIMES!! (I think....)
Way to go

DocSpotty
01-24-2008, 12:58 AM
You bring back fond memories of my first trip out of San Diego looking for albacore (about 35 years ago). Didn't find albies but got into a school of bluefin and the deckhand did the same to me on my first one......without giving it a thought I chucked the whole thing in my mouth and swallowed.....it sat down there right above my diaphragm, too big to get into the stomach. After trying to get it down for about a minute I hacked the thing back up and the deck hand said, "That was disgusting.....good enough." So I managed several bluefin after that so wasn't jinxed. BTW....don't try to bring a banana on charters in Alaska either, or you could get thrown overboard......

Brian :banana: :banana: :banana: