PDA

View Full Version : BCSB 1-17-08

tacklejunkie
01-17-2008, 04:35 PM
Hit up the Bolsa beach again this morning for a quick couple of hours before heading to see some friends about some helicopter stuff.

Arrived at 6:30 am and was fishing before the sun was up.

First thing tied on the LC and pegged for about an hour up and down the beach. No love..

Tied on a Camo worm really quick to see if there were smaller perch about. Bendo within 5 casts.. a leeeetle guy!

Went back to work with the LC for another hour or two for nada. Not enough time today to try the Kroc cause I was busy with the LC.

I know they are there. I can get them every time with the worms. Just have to keep trying to convince one to eat the LC :lol:

Left at 10am, no skunk! The ocean still loves me :lol: (but my way overexposed photo doesn't :cry: )

Wingnut
01-17-2008, 05:19 PM
Flyline that Perch... might get a big Hali! :wink: :mrgreen:

Fisherman57
01-17-2008, 05:22 PM
Flyline that Perch... might get a big Hali! :wink: :mrgreen:

Great bait for big "Leo's" :lol:

SOSO
01-17-2008, 05:36 PM
Another vote for the flyline!!

tacklejunkie
01-17-2008, 06:28 PM
:lol:
I suck at Surf fishing. I think that's what keeps bringing me back!

I almost went and bought a 7'11" MH Shimano Crucial casting rod today to help fling those LC's out there better. That rod was $160 though and I was a few bucks short. Maybe next week cause I had to get some new fly line today. I just don't think I'm getting the LC out there far enough! I Tried my 7'11" XH crucial swimbait rod but that broomstick wouldn't fling it much farther. I think there has to be just the right amount of spring in the tip to fling the lure way out there or something.

On a side note, anyone know where to get bait around there to try and hook a leo or batray while I'm plugging away with the lures? I don't think I can bring myself to hook a perch and use him for bait :lol:

And how come all the Turner's are out of stock on the 3rd grip?! :bang:

Wingnut
01-17-2008, 06:34 PM
Hey T.J., you'll get better & learn new things with every trip, just give it some time.

The reel that you use is more important than the rod in my opinion. I have a Loomis 7 foot GL3 medium/heavy action rod, not much tip flex, but I use a Calcutta TE 200DC, such an awesome reel. I cast as far with this baitcast outfit as I can with my spinning outfit.

The 3rd grip is available at Cabelas.com for $24.99 (The blue is available, the black is on back order).

Take care & good luck on your next trip! :mrgreen:

Arthur (Wingnut)

sansou
01-17-2008, 06:43 PM
Keep at it, you'll get your halibut soon enough. Don't be afraid to use something other than a LC....

If you're thinking of sending a surf rod out for leo's, just make sure you buy a "spike" that is deep enough to hold the rod in the sand. The best ones I've ever seen were homemade (long rebar with cut PVC pipe attached with bolts). It is very important to have a good pole holder that goes deep down b/c you will find you will want to keep the line "high & tense" to avoid the crashing waves moving your line inbound & sideways etc... You'll be surprised how much your line will be pulling your pole. This is also why a long surf pole is best, especially if you're trying to fish it unattended. As for bait: get over it....just stab a really small perch a couple times and dorsal hookem'. It beats having to go to the store and bring a bag of nasty squid/mack etc... The perch-bait also keeps the itty bitty leos & sngfs & misc sharks off the line too.

Just my 2 cents.

tacklejunkie
01-17-2008, 06:51 PM
Keep at it, you'll get your halibut soon enough. Don't be afraid to use something other than a LC....

If you're thinking of sending a surf rod out for leo's, just make sure you buy a "spike" that is deep enough to hold the rod in the sand. The best ones I've ever seen were homemade (long rebar with cut PVC pipe attached with bolts). It is very important to have a good pole holder that goes deep down b/c you will find you will want to keep the line "high & tense" to avoid the crashing waves moving your line inbound & sideways etc... You'll be surprised how much your line will be pulling your pole. This is also why a long surf pole is best, especially if you're trying to fish it unattended. As for bait: get over it....just stab a really small perch a couple times and dorsal hookem'. It beats having to go to the store and bring a bag of nasty squid/mack etc... The perch-bait also keeps the itty bitty leos & sngfs & misc sharks off the line too.

Just my 2 cents.

Right, a "Sand Spike". I saw them today down at Turners in all different sizes. One of them should hold ey? I saw a dude using one bait and wait style who cought a spotfin croaker (or something like that) at BCSB when Skyler and I were there. I'll be sure to pick one up if I do decide to bait and wait.

So there are fish right out there big enough to really eat a perch? I heard somewhere you had to swim out past the breakers and drop the lively hooked perch out there?

Fisherman57
01-17-2008, 06:51 PM
anyone know where to get bait around there to try and hook a leo or batray while I'm plugging away with the lures? I don't think I can bring myself to hook a perch and use him for bait :lol:

Just North of Bolsa.......

Big Fish Bait & Tackle
1780 PCH
Seal Beach, ca 90740-
(562) 431-0723

and ditto what Sansou said........ you'll get the big Leo's with a properly rigged BSP! :wink:
although I like Sunset Beach a little better for the Leo's... :secret:

tacklejunkie
01-17-2008, 06:58 PM
anyone know where to get bait around there to try and hook a leo or batray while I'm plugging away with the lures? I don't think I can bring myself to hook a perch and use him for bait :lol:

Just North of Bolsa.......

Big Fish Bait & Tackle
1780 PCH
Seal Beach, ca 90740-
(562) 431-0723

and ditto what Sansou said........ you'll get the big Leo's with a properly rigged BSP! :wink:
although I like Sunset Beach a little better for the Leo's... :secret:

Thanks Dana :thumb: I appreciate all the help guys (Sansou too!). Wingnut, I'm not giving up on those lures until I've lost them all and they don't have any left at the store :wink: :lol: This is the fun part.. pursuing new fish on new lures! I'll figure it out sooner or later. :wink:

I caught a freakin plastic bag today that just about broke my heart when it didn't fight back :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

sansou
01-17-2008, 07:06 PM
Take a careful look at the Turner's spikes. I have one them $20 deals (the read & yellow painted one, with 2 rod holders on it) and it is useless in heavy surf. It works best in a bay where the waves are de minimis.

Ask F57 where he got his.

The problem I've always encountered is that you tend to use pretty hefty weights to get them out there (in the winter especially), coupled with the inherent casting issues with thick line, and compounded by the weight your bait. The idea is to keep the line tight and above the crashing waves. This is best accomplished with a tall pole, pyramid weights, and a solid anchoring system (sand spike). I don't know of any other way around the problem, other than, of course, manually holding the surf pole.

As for the other species off the beach, instead of c-rigging, go with a 3 way or rig with slider weight and change the bait accordingly (GS, sandworms, shrimp, cut salted chovies etc..). Of course, you're gonna use smaller hooks too. It's that simple. If you can fish for trout, you're gonna figure this out pretty quick.

Skyler
01-17-2008, 07:32 PM
Nice. Another surf trip with no skunk. I'm gonna be heading out to Will Rogers/Topanga on Saturday. We'll see what I can stir up, he he. Have fun.

Troutman65
01-17-2008, 08:10 PM
8) Thanks for the post and pics.

TM65

Ray Lopez
01-18-2008, 04:13 AM
for leo's i have a 11'medium heavy surf pole w/ 20 # and a long sand spike.

last time i caught a 41" leo and he was on my surf rod for a good 10 mins i'm guessing b-4 i got to him because it was already tired when i started to yank him back to shore.

for the LC's i just use 7' with a decent reel and it flings um just fine on 14 pound test

tacklejunkie
01-18-2008, 07:04 AM
for leo's i have a 11'medium heavy surf pole w/ 20 # and a long sand spike.

last time i caught a 41" leo and he was on my surf rod for a good 10 mins i'm guessing b-4 i got to him because it was already tired when i started to yank him back to shore.

for the LC's i just use 7' with a decent reel and it flings um just fine on 14 pound test
Think I'm going to pick up a rod to fling the LC's later today. If you are using 14lb test you must not have to get the lure that far out there..
Drop me a PM if you wanna roll out and slay some perch this weekend. :wink:

Nice. Another surf trip with no skunk. I'm gonna be heading out to Will Rogers/Topanga on Saturday.
If I would have been throwing the worms the whole time, It's likely I would have caught a pile of perch. within my first 5 casts on a worm I caught one. Before that and immediately after, I was working the LCFM110. That fish was simply a skunk breaker. I'm trying to catch the larger units than a sandworm will bring in on these lures, so if you see a saltwater skunk out of me you know why :wink: I'm not using bait other than to break the skunk on a single tiny fish really quick.
BTW, good luck out there this weekend. After today I'll probably be back out there trying again as well. As for today, hopefully a fish will bite my fly in the creek so I can test the drag on the new fly reel 8)

PUDD MASTER BAITER
01-18-2008, 07:22 AM
TJ IF YOUR LOOING FOR A LONG CASTING ROD FOR HARD BAITS AND CROCS . I HAVE THE FENWICK HM7 8'5" MED. HEAVY.. WITH MY SHIMANO 300.IT THROWS MY HARD BAITS OUT OF SIGHT, AND CROCS A MILE. THE HARD BAITS FLY STRAIGHT AND LONG. FOR THE LENGTH THE ROD ITS NOT AT ALL AWKWARD LIKE A BULKY LONG SURF ROD .ITS LIGHT, AND SENSITIVE. THATS THE ONE I LIKE TO USE ,WITH A HEAVY OCEAN FLOAT 8' LEADER AND GHOST SHRIMP. ITS GOT BALLS TO HANDLE ANY THING IN THE SURF, OR BAY AND AT THE PRICE ITS WORTH IT.GOOD LUCK, AND HOPE TO HOOK UP SOME TIME AT THE SALT. PEACE OUT MIKE THE PMB....

one_leg
01-18-2008, 07:26 AM
TJ, I bet you land a huge hali within the next 2 weeks.

Thanks for the report, and the overexposed pic.

O_L

JSAUCE818
01-18-2008, 08:16 AM
:D

Fisherman57
01-18-2008, 10:09 AM
TJ.....

I got my sand spike at Bob Sands tackle shop in Van Nuys..... this particular one is built by this local guy and can hold three poles........ I like it because I can set whatever poles Im NOT using in the side holders and keep them off the sand......... here's a pic, not very good, but you can see the two extra pole holders on the sides and get the general idea.......

If you do go there...... ask for "Sal" (the owner) and mention you're a FNN / TEAM 57 member.
Sal has been a great TEAM 57 supporter and will take care of you!

[attachment=0:5d2ae]sandspike.jpg[/attachment:5d2ae]

olfishergal
01-18-2008, 12:19 PM
Bob Sands tackle has been there a very long time..........I used to go to that store when I was a couple of years younger. Great People in there.

tacklejunkie
01-18-2008, 07:28 PM
Grabbed a "Sand Spike" from Sport Chalet for $20 on my way up to do some fly fishing..
Adjustable hight. Think this will do? It's pretty tall and can get taller. The rod cup position is also adjustable.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/sandspike.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/sandspike1.jpg

sansou
01-18-2008, 10:03 PM
Very niiiice!

steve092
01-20-2008, 10:27 AM
Good job not catching the sea skunk.