PDA

View Full Version : East Walker River

WaterBound
01-14-2008, 03:30 AM
My friend and I left for East Walker River Saturday night/Sunday morning at 1:30am. We got to Bridgeport around 8:00am. Everything was awesome. The last storms dropped a ton of snow. We took a while to try and find a way down to the river. The snow was very deep and we did not have the proper gear. Finally I put on some deck boots and we both trekked through the snow. Some areas were knee deep, while others were waist and neck deep. It was so cold my eyebrows and moustache was frozen white. We finally got to the outlet from the reservoir. All the water was very low. Very slow flow rate. No one around but we saw a few tracks. My friend hooked up first with a fly. Small brown trout. He followed up again on the second cast with a small rainbow. The fish was like 10 inches but it looked like a flying fish as it streaked across the top of the pool. These were very hardy fish. I hooked up next on a small bow with a Thomas Buoyant. From there it slowed down and we decided to work our way down the river. Lots of moss was everywhere as well as dead perch. It was so cold our guides kept freezing. This was especially troublesome for my friend using a fly outfit. The roller on my bail kept freezing and backlashing on my spinning reel spool. Not to mention the fact that the water was very shallow and I lost LOTS of lures both on the bottom and in brush. My friend then got a really nice 24" brown. I unfortunately farmed a nice one under a tree. Finally after freezing our asses of for a few more hours we came upon a honey hole. I spotted at least 10 fish boiling around a bend and in some deeper pools. Nice stretch of 40 ft of boiling fish. It was amazing. I never saw this happen for freshwater fish before. I tried a Z spoon and kept getting small hits that quickly were spit out. I then lost the spoon and began to break out my arsenal. My friend tried a few casts and decided he wanted to look for giants further down. So I tried some roostertails both firetiger and black and yellow. It was crazy I could see them constantly chasing it all the way to the bank sometimes but never committing. I next threw a rainbow/white pattern kastmaster. Again they would chase it for a while but never hit. I stood at this 40ft stretch of awesome river with fish boiling everywhere but I could not hook up except for the first one I farmed at this pool. Finally I tried a small Yo Zuri minnow, smaller than a rapala cd-3. And bam hook up. It was a nice Bow. Nothing big just about 2-3lbs. By now I was getting fatigued from my guides freezing as well as my ***. Some of the banks had deep snow and my feet and long johns were now soaking wet and frozen against my skin. Again more of the freezing line and reel parts created backlash. I started to lose a lot of dexterity and knew I had to get out of there or face frostbite or hypothermia. My partner and I met up again and he informed me that he got another one this time a big hookjaw bow right about halfway from the damn to the bridge. We were going to sleep there on the side of the road but were both really sore and frozen. So we headed back home and here I am reporting to you now about the miracle mile on the East Walker River. All I can say is that the fish are there even though we didn't put up big numbers. If you are going down there I suggest you bring the right snow gear including snowshoes.

Trout-Slayer77
01-14-2008, 10:46 AM
thanks for the report, sounds like some cold fishing conditions....congrats to you and your buddy on catching some nice ones, especially the big brown and hookjaw bow. :appl: i love that miracle mile !!

tpfishnfool
01-14-2008, 08:51 PM
Wow !! 24'' Brown, Very nice.. Great read. Im on my way wed.to bishop and maybe we will have to make the trek up the hill. Low flows mean stealthy fishing
and fishing the tail water slooow..

rotto84
01-14-2008, 10:03 PM
Sounds cold and fun.

The fishing almost sounds like saltwater!

Rotto84

INDOANGLER2
01-15-2008, 04:55 PM
Way to hang in there with the snow and cold conditions, you guys are diehards. Thanks for the report. Is the Walker River open all year?

WaterBound
01-15-2008, 07:50 PM
Yes, apparently the East Walker River just became open year round. I think it is limited to one during the regular season and catch and release only during the winter season. Like I said they were other human tracks around as well as a lot of game tracks. I think they were from hunters though because we saw shotgun shells at a few bends yuck, and even heard a lot of shots like a shooting range not typical hunting. All I can say is that now there are a lot of trails we blazed through the snow, but I would still bring some insulated and waterproof shoes if not then snowshoes.

txcurry
01-16-2008, 02:07 PM
I replied on your other post but will repeat here. How about wearing some good 5mm neoprene waders with some good water wicking fleece pants and long Johns underneath. I've worh 3.5 mm waders in 38 degree water up to my waist and with good undergarments, I was real toasty with no sweat.
Just a thought
TX

WaterBound
01-16-2008, 03:17 PM
You have some great ideas. Yeah my friend actually had on a Patagonia Capilene treated top but no bottom. The 5mm neoprene is a good idea also, but I have tried on 5mm neoprene before and find it rather limiting in mobility, but it is a great insulator. Then again I was pretty much humpty dumpty waddling around in my long johns, sweats and jeans. I actually used to have a lot of capilene and MTS treated underwear that is BOMB! Unfortunately it was all stolen with the rest of my camping gear. REAL BUMMER! Yeah it really is all about the treated moisture wicking undergarments. That stuff keeps you warm because you have no sweat against your skin making you cold and sick. Like I said the moisture on the underneath of the garments started to freeze, especially my lower half. That added some mean weight as I hiked back to the highway and the car. As far as moisture wicking fleece. Could you tell me which company makes moisture wicking fleece? I have never heard of that before and wonder how can it help you unless it touches your skin? As far as I learned at REI the MTS or capilene is best touching your skin to wick the moisture off. The outer layers of fleece are insulation against the cold. At this point I am totally thinking about what gear to get. My friend who came with me works at the Orvis on Lake in Pasadena. So of course all of his **** is $$$. He actually put on his waders, but the wading boots did not fit over the booties so he iron manned it with some Orvis leather boots that of course are now ruined. I am thinking about getting some waders, but have not decided on whether or not to get ones with boots or booties for external boots. And I still have my eye on snowshoes. Waders may keep you dry trekking through the snow, which is the biggest concern. However I want to try some snowshoes to see if they make hiking through snow easier. That is why I am considering getting the waders with booties that way I can put on some good wading boots that the snowshoes can clamp down well against. I am looking at the MSR Lightning Ascent 30. I was cold trekking through the snow, but I did not have problems until I got wet. Then I began getting into trouble. I am also considering a flyfishng outfit. My friend has the Zero G and is going to buy the Helios. He told me for the money though that Temple Fork Outfitters is the best bang for the buck. TiCrX in 5 weight. And then he suggested a reel with a mid arbor spool from Orvis. What do you think? I am actually seriously thinking about heading back to Bishop in a few weeks since the gear I have for now is fine for PVR and the lower Owens. I did not see any snow in Bishop. All right take care everyone and let me know what you guys think about the gear. Thanks!

txcurry
01-16-2008, 06:14 PM
Cabelas has them, here's the link.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0029558942517a&navCount=5&podId=0029558&parentId=cat380007&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20431-cat380007&catalogCode=XH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat380007&hasJS=true
It's a long one but should take you directly to the page.
TX

WaterBound
01-16-2008, 10:00 PM
txcurry-Thanks so much man!!!! That looks perfect and really a great price too. I really appreciate the referral.

BigGameHunter
01-19-2008, 07:55 PM
Awesome report. I've been wanting to go to the East Walker this time of year. I made it to June Loop in Oct. but failed to go to the Walker :bang: . Job well done. Great Report.

I have neoprene waders and they seem to insulate your body pretty well. I will invest in some moisture wicking under garments though....