PDA

View Full Version : new boat owner advice appreciated

sktruth
01-13-2008, 02:35 PM
I receently bought a 12' aluminium boat (Delta). It came with a mercury 9.9 outboard, minn kota trolling motor, and a fish finder. I just bought a new battery, connected it, and everything started fine. Was looking for a battery tender that i can hook the battery up to when i get home (after fishing) and was looking for any advice. Is it ok to run all three outboard, trolling, and fish finder off of one battery if i put her to a tender when i get home? Will the battery last me a full day of power you think? All replies are greatly appreciated in advance. thank you

idavis
01-13-2008, 11:44 PM
This is not a definitive answer by any means, but I know that we used to run a FF and a trolling motor all day with a 16' aluminum bass boat. I wonder though, a 9hp motor has electric start? Maybe I am just starting to show my age, but on our boats, we had Evinrude 18hp, and they were pull start. No battery needed. I guess I am outdated on the new outboards. To better answer your question, I would put some type of voltmeter on the battery if you are going to have to depend on it to start your main engine, otherwise in my opinion, I would get another battery for the FF and TM. Don't want to be stuck out on the other side of the lake because you let the battery get low. I still have my fingers crossed that a 9hp motor has a pull cord.

As for a battery tender, if you don't pick one up at wallyworld or the local boat store, be sure and check out the motorcycle places. I have a battery tender for the motorcycle, and it was fairly cheap (on sale) at cycleworld.

Gerald
01-14-2008, 11:46 AM
Did you buy a starting battery, or a deep cycle?

sktruth
01-14-2008, 05:34 PM
It is a pull start engine. I'm not sure on the battery, My father purchased it, i will find out, and let u know. thanks

idavis
01-14-2008, 06:53 PM
Pull start makes this much easier as you don't have to worry about the battery draining and you getting stuck. I know that we used to do a lot of trolling and had an older fish finder hooked up to a depp cycle marine battery, and would go for days on the lake between charges. It occurred to me after my post, your fish finder might be able to display the voltage. If so, you can use that to keep an eye on how low your battery is getting. I would think anything under about 10.5 or maybe even down to 11 volts is a fairly drained battery. As Gerald pointed out, you definitely want a deep cycle battery. It's made to be charged and then discharge, unlike a car starting battery which can be damaged if it discharges fully.

GeordyBass
01-14-2008, 07:14 PM
This is not a definitive answer by any means, but I know that we used to run a FF and a trolling motor all day with a 16' aluminum bass boat. I wonder though, a 9hp motor has electric start? Maybe I am just starting to show my age, but on our boats, we had Evinrude 18hp, and they were pull start. No battery needed. I guess I am outdated on the new outboards. To better answer your question, I would put some type of voltmeter on the battery if you are going to have to depend on it to start your main engine, otherwise in my opinion, I would get another battery for the FF and TM. Don't want to be stuck out on the other side of the lake because you let the battery get low. I still have my fingers crossed that a 9hp motor has a pull cord.

As for a battery tender, if you don't pick one up at wallyworld or the local boat store, be sure and check out the motorcycle places. I have a battery tender for the motorcycle, and it was fairly cheap (on sale) at cycleworld.
nah i have a newer mercury 9.9 and its a pull start...

Greg Madrigal
01-15-2008, 05:23 PM
I had a 12' bass boat and had 2 deep cycle batts on it. Reason was because the trolling motor ended up sucking up all the juice and my fish finder would dim to nothing while I was under power. I would recommend the 2nd battery ONLY after putting your boat through a solid test run. Take her out and see what she does BEFORE spending the xtra cash. As long as you put her thru a worst case scenario, you'll be sure what to expect going forward. What have you to lose except a FF that cuts out and a trolling motor that will lose power -You still have the gas motor!

Good luck.

Greg

sktruth
01-15-2008, 05:39 PM
I found out that the battery my father purchased is a dual purpose marine battery. Hopefully that helps. i know a deep cycle was recommended earlier, but what exactly does a dual purpose battery do compared to a deep cycle? thanks

idavis
01-16-2008, 01:59 PM
Dual purpose marine battery should be just fine. Here is a good explanation of the differences. As long as it isn't a car starting battery..

http://www.exide.com/faq/faq_marine.html

Tail Chaser
01-16-2008, 07:23 PM
Batterys have a cranking amps.You need more cranking amps for starting bigger motors Like a V8 motor needs 500 cranking amps to turn over the motor.
You also have reserve amps. They are rated for AMPS PER HR.
They are for running the accessories, Fishfinders,bait tanks etc. You need the reserve amps on a battery for this stuff.
The math goes something like this.
A battery with 120 reserve amps.
So if your fishfinder etc, used,(pulled power from battery) Say 10 amps per hr.
Your battery would last 12 hrs before it was fully drained.
10 amps an hr x 12hrs= 120 reserve battery amps
deep cycle batterys are designed to be fully discharged like 100 times before it will no longer take a charge.
Starting batterys are not as forgiving for this abuse.
Marine batterys are built much stronger then car batterys.
Built for taking the pounding they may get in a boat
As far as battery chargers go.A charger that does a very slow TRICKLE charge is best for the battery
Hope this was helpfull

sktruth
01-21-2008, 06:52 PM
i have deceided to to return the dual purpose battery for a deep cycle. I figured the outboard was a pull start and the battery was only for the fish finder and the trolling motor so it would be better in the long run. Thanks for the help guys.

idavis
01-22-2008, 07:34 AM
Good choice. Sounds like you are going to have plenty of fun. I have many fond memories as a younger fellow trolling around Lake Travis (Austin Tx) in an aluminum boat. Now go out and make some of your own. :)