PDA

View Full Version : Dana Point Fishing. Need help.

Ragetron
01-11-2008, 10:26 PM
What's up everyone? I mainly stick to the freshwater, but my parents have a small sailboat that they keep in Dana point. Does anybody have any tips on where a beginner might be able to fish around there. Her boat is kept in the main marina there, (not sure what its called). I would have access to a kayak and small inflatable with small outboard. But would be fine from a jetty or even surf. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BRAD

pyronut
01-12-2008, 08:58 AM
hey there,

I have fished Dana Harbor alot the past couple years and the trick in the harbor is light line. I have fished around the bait barge with five pound line and done very wellon short halibut, spotted and sand bass. If you want to go outside a little there is a pipe line just outside the harbor where the calicos and sculpin hang out. Also a short paddle to the point it self is the kelp bed that is loaded with bass and perch.

Hope this helps you out and good luck and be safe out there.....

Pyronut

Ragetron
01-12-2008, 03:31 PM
If I fish the harbor with light setup what type of Lures/bait should i be using?

Appreciate the suggestions.

weldinorfishin
01-14-2008, 06:04 PM
Jump on the Seahorse in the spring.Tyler and crew will kick some TAIL

tacklejunkie
01-15-2008, 05:12 AM
If I fish the harbor with light setup what type of Lures/bait should i be using?

Appreciate the suggestions.
I'm not positive on this.. (super newb to salt)
But I think Squid and Ghost shrimp should do for bait?
However, I know not where to obtain dead or alive ghost shrimp.
Also, that berkley gulp saltwater stuff seems to work good.
They have shrimp and squid plastics with a fish catching scent on them.
I've seen the berkley 2" Camo sandworms catch a Hali and used them myself for BSP/WSP, but don't know if these species hang around the harbor you mention or not.

sweetfish
01-15-2008, 08:34 AM
For the harbor, there are mainly sand and spotted bay bass. Just like freshwater tactics when targeting bass. Think of willow blade spinner baits (slow retrieve), deep diving crankbaits (shad patterns, fire tiger also), and 3" - 4" twin tail or single tail grubs (rootbeer, salt n pepper, chartruese, hot pink, gold/goldflake, and salt n pepper/silver flake). Use 1/4oz to 1/2oz round jigheads (depending on how fast tide current is) and slow retrieve. I have even caught bay bass dragging plastic worms.

My favorite setup in a boat is to rig a grub and a bait hook with a frozen anchovy. I drift this in a boat going with the tide.