PDA

View Full Version : 1985 150 hp mercury

fullstringer
05-06-2007, 04:06 PM
Having a problem starting motor, sat for a little over a year changed all fluids,new spark plugs,it wants to turn over but just won't crank.How can I find out if I'm getting spark to plugs? I've tried starting fluid but very carefull about applying it.fuel is getting to carb.We have only one marine shop that I know of and he charges by the hp.5hp cost my friend 150.00 just to look at it any advice please!!!!!!!

187fish
05-06-2007, 06:44 PM
Could fuel have possibly gummed up in the carb? If you think it is a spark issue, any automotive parts store sells spark checkers, you either hold it near the spark plug wire, or they attatch to the end of the wire. Hope this helps. 187

grimpy
05-06-2007, 08:57 PM
This may like apply to you but check your battery connections... One time with my Bayliner, I was at the Vine battery was dead. I was about to just forget it and pull back out of the water but some fellow helped me out and walked my boat off the trailer and in front of his WACC. we hooked up the jump start and gave it a try... No go... thing wouldn't crank but did try the turn... Starter wasn't engaging... After about fifteen minutes... The guy tries a bunch of stuff and he ends up re-clamping the terminals and twists it a good bit.... Tried again and the baby fired right up...

fullstringer
05-23-2007, 12:02 PM
Ok rubuilt all three carbs and they looked pretty clean,all fuel lines are new no metal clamps all tie wraps,emptied old fuel.I have not tried the spark tester yet next question there is a wire that is on the maifold but seems to be in the block not on the block???? it is in very bad condition could this be some kind of ground wire?? the 2 voltage regulators that are for the spark plugs and electrical seems to be working since all of my lights,live wells,aerators and pumps all work. :idea: I know I should just buy the repair manual

hookemdano
05-23-2007, 08:33 PM
I know I should just buy the repair manual

Bingo! 20 bucks is a pretty cheap investment as far as boats go - it'll pay for itself many times over. I would just add to make sure the battery is fully charged and handles under load. Just because your accessories all work doesn't mean it's a strong battery. Any Pep Boys or Auto Zone will check it (and charge it) for free. You might even have a starter issue. The repair manual will help you out with that "extra" wire too.

Good luck!

fishrookie
05-23-2007, 09:19 PM
remove and clean all your grounds on the engine and on your battery. test your spark if you don't have any then it could be your switch box or stator. get a manual and see where that ground wire needs to be hooked up i would wait to get that manual and quit trying to start it on guesses. take it from me it cost me $800 in parts after i was done with my merc engine the manual will have a chapter that will walk you through the tests. one more thing go to IBOATS.
http://forums.iboats.com/
these guys helped out with my problem and they will walk you through yours too.
when your done you'll have engine that starts on the fist click and you will save a gang of money doing it your self

fullstringer
05-24-2007, 03:08 PM
you guys are on the mark all guess work has stopped am now in the process of getting manual,I have a battery tester and it is good under load the wire I am talking about is for a heat sensor on maifold.

fullstringer
06-01-2007, 11:34 AM
got my seloc manual and I just kinda breezed through some of the info and it all makes sense. :oops: I was trying to find the problem starting at the key switch when the book starts at the plugs,stator,switch box, and then wiring.thanks again :P

fullstringer
06-02-2007, 03:56 PM
got my manual.
did stator test
red/white-blue/white 5.6 rx1000 5.4-6.2
blue/red 3.5 rx1000 4.5-6.2
2nd test
red/ground 175 rx1 125-175
red/white-ground 175 rx1 125-175
does this mean stator is bad?
seloc wiring diagram for stator shows all wires,wires in good condition except for 2 yellow wires what are they for?? I have a black wire that is grounded to power head. The 2 yellow wires go to a small black component above the 2 switch boxes are they for each cylinders 1-3-5,2-4-6 ground ??????

fishrookie
06-02-2007, 08:29 PM
your best bet is to post this question in Iboats.com.
these guys are all pretty much boat mechanics and they can better walk you through the test. go to the forum part and post it on the section your motor falls under.
i was lucky enough to fiend a guy on there who walked me through all the tests on a sat through e-mails.

fullstringer
06-03-2007, 10:59 PM
Yea I have,but every time I try to post my question is tells me to sign in but I'm already signed in?? I've emailed the admin of the sight and still waiting for reply,just thought I'd try.I want to make the catfish tourn this month 23-24 so I'm trying my hardest to get my boat going.Thanks for reply