PDA

View Full Version : Mud Marlin Experts... Hollar Dog!!!

ThemBastards
01-10-2008, 08:51 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: Ok so I think I am going to the Wedge on saturday, have you guys had much luck with the large Rays? Which end? Channel side? I can figure these things out for myself but being that I am part of a fishing message board it kind of makes sense for me to ask a question if I have one. Right?

I am planning on using squid as bait, possibly some fresh store bought shrimp as well. I have never caught a large one myself, nor have I ever stuck a digit in ones mouth- should I use steal leaders? If I happen to come across some live bait should I use it?

Come on message boarders (and yes I did google it)

sansou
01-10-2008, 09:03 AM
- C-rig with circle hooks & lots of squid (I use the whole thing), no steel leaders etc... Try catching a smallish BSP, stab him up a little, hookem in the back with a regular hook...also very good bait for sharks too. It's a bait-n-wait thing.

ThemBastards
01-10-2008, 09:03 AM
This is what Im talkin bout

ThemBastards
01-10-2008, 09:06 AM
- C-rig with circle hooks & lots of squid (I use the whole thing), no steel leaders etc... Try catching a smallish BSP, stab him up a little, hookem in the back with a regular hook...also very good bait for sharks too. It's a bait-n-wait thing.

Thats what I was thinking. I have some 2/0 live bait hooks, I should go larger though huh? Are there any sharks I might catch that would warrant the use of steel leaders? (Ok I just want to be cool and pull out the steel)

Thanks Sansou

cappo
01-10-2008, 09:12 AM
If you get into some bigger leopards, then you would need a steel leader.
Do as Sansou suggests, thats pretty much all you need. Good luck and take pics of the monsters.

sansou
01-10-2008, 09:38 AM
I wouldn't go with much bigger hooks, they have small square mouths. Not sure what you're fishing with (line etc...), but if you are using 12lb or so, go with a thinner wire hook as it increases penetration. Don't worry about bending the hook, cause that will be prevented by your drag.

It's been my experience they kinda hover over the bait at first instead of snatching and grabbing. The key (off a pier) is to make sure you physically get them to turn once they go on their run from one side to another.

ThemBastards
01-10-2008, 10:13 AM
Yeah I am going to be using a new setup, I got my hands on some of my great grandfathers old gear and I am going to be putting it to work.

I am using an older rod, trolling/ deep water type with a roller at the end it is very stout. I spooled some 20lb yozuri on it. I might also mention that I have never really used a conventional reel before, so I have a feeling that I will be spending a good chunk of my time dealing with birds nests.

Cool, I will stick with the hooks i have and no steel leaders this time... I got a new camera too so I will take pics of anything we catch. Or maybe I will just photo shop me a monster if I get the skunk.

Baseballer44
01-10-2008, 08:13 PM
I got a new camera too so I will take pics of anything we catch. Or maybe I will just photo shop me a monster if I get the skunk.

Ok, now it doesnt even matter to me what the report says. Im not believing a word of it....

Troutman65
01-11-2008, 12:24 AM
What ever you do , Hold onto your fishing rod. I was on on the wedge jetty YEARS ago at night fishing and something hit my bait and that fishing rod was GONE !!!! Into the water never to be seen again. That sucked. It was a nice set up for the salt too.

Hold onto your fishing rod and you will do fine :wink:

TM65

spiceguy
01-11-2008, 11:48 AM
OK, my 2 cents. I never use anything smaller that a 4/0 steel hook. I've had many lesser hooks either straighten out or just break. If you're goin' after big rays with 20lb. test, you may be setting yourself up for a big dissapointment. I've had 50lb. test snap like thread and had been spooled as well before I wised up & loaded my reel with 80lb. spideline. Use whole squid. It has been my experience that the rays are constantly moving and when they pick-up my bait they just keep goin'. The trick is to get them to turn. That's when the heavy gear comes into it's own. And as others have said, HANG ONTO YOUR ROD!

Good luck. 8)

ThemBastards
01-11-2008, 12:56 PM
Right on guys this will be my first Ray expedition so I am not really convinced I am going to hook up on one, but thanks to all you guys for your words of wisdom

Ambassadorhawg
01-11-2008, 05:37 PM
I've done lots of surf-sharkin' all up and down the Central & South Cali coast. In my opinion, the ultimate rig is a 3 foot soft braided steel leader and a 6/0 hook. A 4-6 ounce surf weight should be fine. I've never had any problem hooking bats or any other bottom sucker with this rig. It prepares you for anything you may hook into, such as a large Leopard. I use at least 60 lb. on the leader and 40 lb. mono. Make sure your gear can handle this heavy rig. I have hooked into rays so large that I was skidding on my heals down the pier trying to turn them! I usually ended up winning the battle and I am sure that it was at least in part to having the correct rig. I like Squid or fresh Mackerel slabs for bait.

PistolPete
01-12-2008, 10:51 PM
I usually go fishing for rays towards the evening about an hour before dark, and usually within about 2 hours of a high tide. I've used both Yozuri mono and Spiderwire braided and seem to have the best luck with the mono-filiment lines. (the braideds usually seem to snap due to the rays hard and fast breaks when hooked), however, I have landed some nice 20-40lb rays on a 20lb braided and a small spinning reel with a light medium rod. I almost always use whole frozen squids with #4-7 circle hooks, with either a 2-4oz egg sinker (dependent on current) or a 2-4oz torpedo sinker tied 2-3 feet above the hook. My main pole set up is a Dawai Sealine x-sha 40 with 40lb yozuri mono line with no leader (I've had quite a few 30lb steel leaders snap way before my line) on a Penn International 6'6" 40-80lb rod. I always will make sure to hold my pole if there is not a solid rod holder available (boat or dock) because when rays hit, they hit hard and run for quite a while. Usually the rays will hit 2 different ways: 1) they will swallow the bait without noticing the hook and your line will slowly move with the fish (usually only noticable going against the tide) or 2)they will hit very hard and run immediatly with your line. When they hit the first way I usually will let them swim with the bait for a good 15-30 seconds before I set the hook and hold on. In either case usually once the ray realizes that it has been hooked, you can look forward to it running all the line out of your reel unless you use your drag and horse them back in your direction. I usually will let them run for a good 5 to 10 seconds tightening my drag slowly untill it is just at the verge of totally stopping the line release. (this usually tires them out pretty well) I also keep a good eye on my line because the bigger rays will have your line peeling fast and in a matter of 30 seconds can completely spool you. As the ray starts to slow down and my line is getting short this is the moment where I will slightly loosen my drag (just a wee amount) and horse the fish back hard to change the rays direction or to flat out stop the run. Usually at this point the rays will either fall to the bottom to rest or will give a couple really hard pulls to your line before they slow down. As soon as the ray tires and rests, this is when i start pumping the pole and reeling hard with a slightly loose drag. (the reason for this is sometimes the rays will have 2 or 3 really good runs and if your drag is too tight, goodby to the ray and your line) Just keep pumping the ray until you land it....use your drag in your favor though, it will tire out the ray before the ray tires you out....

and finally, watch the spine...they hurt like hell from what I hear...[attachment=0:ffe7e]ray2.jpg[/attachment:ffe7e]

Ambassadorhawg
01-13-2008, 08:02 AM
That Raymond has big , pink lips! She must be a girl. LOL

187fish
01-14-2008, 08:25 PM
I use a 15' rod and 30# test on the biggest reel I can find. I usually use a dropper loop setup. 4-6 oz weight, size 1-2 hook and as big a squid as I can get. I wade out to chest deep, fling that setup as far out as I can get it, walk back up to my rod holder, set the drag and wait for a BENDO. Usually caught some decent sized marlins like that.

[attachment=1:95329]batray001.jpg[/attachment:95329]

[attachment=0:95329]batray002.jpg[/attachment:95329]

Tail Chaser
01-16-2008, 05:51 PM
20# Took forever getting them back to the boat.(Fear of break off)
30# Nice setup,Fish puts up a good fight, Little work getting them back to the boat.(Fish still has a chance)
40# Almost no fun. Fish has no chance.
Whole frozen squid, 4/0 circle hook on a 3' leader, 2oz sliding sinker above a swivel.
Ive caught Rays/Butts in very shallow water off my boat with this setup

Ambassadorhawg
01-16-2008, 06:04 PM
BATMAN!!! Da-da da-da da-da da-da da-da da-da da-da da-da BATMAN!!!

Tail Chaser
01-17-2008, 05:10 PM
[quote="Ambassadorhawg"]BATMAN!!! Da-da da-da da-da da-da da-da da-da da-da da-da BATMAN!!![/quote
Looks like it came up looking for Robin :eyepop: