PDA

View Full Version : Biggest and Baddest Bat Ray in the SF bay where they at?

GrandStreetPierCrew
01-08-2008, 08:21 PM
Where can I find some of the biggest and baddest bat rays around in the bay. I usually catch them on the rock wall but im thinking maybe some deep water piers? maybe some areas with lots of crustaceans? I need to prove some dude from so cal his bat ray hes claiming 150 pounds isnt even 50.

BIGRED KILLA
01-08-2008, 09:42 PM
Just to get you mad his ray was a monster pushing 150+pounds.I thought you were a professional like you posted and you said you have been doing it for 10 years Why do you need help. :lol: :idiot:good luck with that bat ray :thumb:

sansou
01-08-2008, 10:24 PM
Hey if I recall, the Monterey aquarium has some nice size ones.

Maybe your teacher will take you on a field trip there.... cause it beats going to the S.F. Zoo, or so I hear. :wink:

one_leg
01-08-2008, 11:11 PM
Malibut pier!

O_L

GrandStreetPierCrew
01-09-2008, 10:28 AM
Just to get you mad his ray was a monster pushing 150+pounds.I thought you were a professional like you posted and you said you have been doing it for 10 years Why do you need help. :lol: :idiot:good luck with that bat ray :thumb:

I know what im doing, and have been catching them for years now. But im out here asking for help to find a place where they are the biggest. And his ray aint no 150 pounder. I will find one my friend and slap it on every board, so u can see what a real ray looks like.

fishncatalina
01-09-2008, 08:21 PM
Bat Rays :lol:

FishSum
01-11-2008, 08:58 PM
:finger: this thread

FISHINGBEE
01-13-2008, 01:37 PM
heres your lucky day. The biggest rays are in south bay and the longest pier is the San Mateo. IT takes a good incoming tide only. Why because out going your facing wind and the San Mateo bridge. Flat sinkers and conventional reels are a must. Bait of choice is a whole squid. Hope you like giant leopard sharks too. The pier is about a mile long and about 3/4 ways is my favorite the end of the pier is much deeper and sometimes a seven and six gilled sharks a caught. Bring a bait caster some times stripers show up at night when the lights from bridge are on. The stripers swim in and out of the shadows and will eat white or yellow hair raisers. Night time is a must and use a clicker on the reel in free spool or low drag if tide is too strong.

Fishnbee

seahonk
01-14-2008, 02:21 AM
Whats wrong with this thread there FishSum , Bat rays are a blast to catch .

GrandStreetPierCrew
01-14-2008, 04:05 PM
heres your lucky day. The biggest rays are in south bay and the longest pier is the San Mateo. IT takes a good incoming tide only. Why because out going your facing wind and the San Mateo bridge. Flat sinkers and conventional reels are a must. Bait of choice is a whole squid. Hope you like giant leopard sharks too. The pier is about a mile long and about 3/4 ways is my favorite the end of the pier is much deeper and sometimes a seven and six gilled sharks a caught. Bring a bait caster some times stripers show up at night when the lights from bridge are on. The stripers swim in and out of the shadows and will eat white or yellow hair raisers. Night time is a must and use a clicker on the reel in free spool or low drag if tide is too strong.

Fishnbee

Thanks man I will be heading out there this summer for sure. Just too cold for me right now.
Thanks for the tips.

FISHINGBEE
01-16-2008, 12:00 AM
Definatley too cold in the winter. We always brought sleeping bags, got a little rest and listend for the clicker. Beware of strange people most you can trust but just be carefull. There definatley will be stripers you have to look though never know how far down the pier they will be. Sometimes the big rays will be only a 1/4 of the way down in shallower water. The giant leopards are my favorite though they seem to be out a little further. Smallpiece of bait means smaller fish so use the whole squid try two hooks and hook one in the head and one in the rear. Let me know when you go whta you think remember incoming strong tide. FISHNBEE

P.s. bring something too tote all your stuff long walk sometimes you
get lucky and get a shopping cart. If you decide to fish in day
light when the jacksmelt are running the pier is packed elbow to
elbow. Night time is much more productive.

JSAUCE818
01-17-2008, 04:03 PM
I thought you were a professional like you posted and you said you have been doing it for 10 years Why do you need help. :lol: :idiot:good luck with that bat ray :thumb:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ThemBastards
01-18-2008, 11:31 AM
Whats wrong with this thread there FishSum , Bat rays are a blast to catch .

CrossThreading™ :lol:

FISHINGBEE
01-18-2008, 09:39 PM
If you have accsess to a boat North bay is hot for giant rays i did catch a monster ray sitting in between Alcatraz, Angel island and berkely flats. There is a long pier at the flats but San Mateo is still number one pick. San Bruno shoals, a real good one is hunters pt. The fury out of Richmond is the best boat to try for Seven Gills, Leopards, Rays after fishing with the fury you will know most hot spots. Those seven gills and six gills are tasty and fight much harder than the rays. Theres an unbeleviable break off percentage too.

FISHNBEE