PDA

View Full Version : IMA DUMBASS!!!!

Greg Madrigal
01-08-2008, 08:32 AM
Went out last week and picked up fuel outta the HH fuel dock. I forgot to replace my gascap! :bang: :bang: :bang:
I have a 2007 Yami 115 4-stroke. It has a water seperator in-line. The fuel tank is aluminum, 26 gal, and a somewhat V-shape.

Mind u, the gas cap is located in the stern area where I am sure at least some water invaded my fuel system.

My questions are:
How can I know if I have saltwater in the tank?

What should I do if I think there is water in there?

Know any good shops in North OC that deal in this issue?

What could happen If I just left it to "see what happens?"

Can that ruin the tank or the engine?

GM

fleaflicker
01-08-2008, 09:44 AM
I am no expert, but i say Don't run it! Why take a chance? Take it to a gas station and have it drained. Check/change the cartridge in your fuel filter. If the motor ran ok the last time out I would imagine that the motor fuel system is ok. You just want to get it out of your tank and fuel lines asap. Hopefully it's not a full tank and you won't have to get rid of 26 gallons. ouch Good luck.

Dude47
01-08-2008, 02:05 PM
Not worth the risk, drain the tank, you should then beable to look at the fuel and see if it has water in it(the water floats over the fuel). A little water shouldent hurt anything, they actually used to make some kits for cars that mixed small amounts of water witht he fuel because the water would vaporize whent he piston fired and it would create more horsepower.

Troutman65
01-08-2008, 02:10 PM
Greg, That sucks !!!! :(

You got to slow down and not be in such a hurry to get out fishing. :wink:

Hope its not bad.

TM65

Rick Grover
01-08-2008, 05:08 PM
If you can get the tank out of the boat do so. Drain all the gas and add some "Drifuel" additive. You can get it at any outboard dealer. Saltwater will corrode the tank if you leave it in there. Best Yamaha Dealer in OC is Shock Boats in Newport Beach. 949-573-1672. Also change your waterseperating filter. Drain the filter into a clear glass and you will see if it has water in it. Rick Grover. Anglers Marine, Anaheim

Baseballer44
01-10-2008, 08:18 PM
I think your biggest problem is trying to explain why you would get gas from the harbor in the first place. How expensive is that!

Tail Chaser
01-16-2008, 08:17 PM
Was wondering if your fuel gauge started going up as you were running your boat and the gas tank was filling up with water :oops:
Could put in some great post of what great MPG your boat gets. :D
Actually, Dont know of what kind of boat you have, But if pulling the tank or attemting to get all the old gas/water out is a total nightmare. Maybe you could put a little SALT AWAYin the tank. That stuff neutralizes salt. 2oz of that stuff is enough to flush my V8 and wash down a 26' boat. Then run some of that additive that Rick Grover suggested. Expect to change out a few fuel/water filters. Call Saltaway and some other people to make sure this is not a really bad idea. Just a thought :roll: