PDA

View Full Version : A newcomer needs help with Kayak selection

leftylucky
01-07-2008, 08:34 PM
I've been looking into getting a kayak for fishing for a while now, but being completely inexperienced, I'd greatly appreciate any help you FNN'ers could give me. I recently received some basspro gift cards as a gift, and this along with some extra spending money I have has really prompted me to finally buy my first fishing kayak. It may be a small amount to other kayakers, but I dont want to spend more than $500 dollars. I was seriously considering the Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT, but I recently heard about the Cobra Fish n Dive which is only $300. Which one in your opinion is the better buy for a smaller guy like myself who plans to fish the Dana Harbor area? Are either of those models safe, stable, and beginner friendly enough for an all around Greeny to Salwater fishing? Also, can you give me any details about how the fishing is at Dana, and what can I expect? Sorry for all the questions but I am really enthusiastic about it and I wanna be safe, and get it right. Thank you.

fishtales
01-08-2008, 12:02 AM
Finding a used boat might be a possibility for $500. Remember, it's not JUST the boat. It's also the paddle, the seat, etc. you need to consider. I mean used boat, paddle, seat for $500.

You might want to check with Malibu Kayaks in Sunset Beach for a used one. Be careful though, do your research if you buy privately. Make sure the boat does not have UV damage. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

A FIshNDive for $300? You gotta be kidding.

idavis
01-09-2008, 10:13 AM
fishntales is right on about the cost. The kayak might turn out to be the cheapest part of this endeavor. I know that I have put quite a bit of money in mine and my son's just getting them rigged up for fishing. Too bad we haven't caught anything. :shock:

I got my kayak over at Taylor Tackle, and can't say enough about them. I did notice they had some kayaks under $500 that looked like they could be rigged up nice. I had my heart set on a Hobie Outback, and love it.

I have also spent money on a rig to store the kayaks in the garage, and also had to by some steel to weld up a rack for my truck so I could carry both kayaks. It is fun though, and nothing helps kill time like dragging out the kayak and working on some new project for the next outing. Which reminds me, I need to mount my son's fish finder before the weekend..

npdes
01-22-2008, 07:26 AM
Congrats on your purchase. I live in the SF Valley and stop by Taylor Tackle all the time. The owner, I forget his name, is kind of a crusty guy but very helpful. And you did catch on one big thing people have to consider before buying a kayak is all the accessories. The Hobie Mirage boats are pretty expensive but they come with everything you need, cart, paddle, seat, and peddle drive system. I have a Hobie Revolution and love it. I wish it had the "deck" space of the Outback but wanted a more sleek kayak. I've taken mine out into the ocean and feel very safe. I haven't made any surf launches but hope to soon. You are so right about modifying your kayak. I installed a fishfinder, Scotty rod holder, and am waiting for the new RAM mast mount system for a GPS. I love kayak fishing and look forward to better weather so I can go out more often.