PDA

View Full Version : Curado or Calcutta for Surf Fishing - Opinions Please!

Wingnut
01-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Which Shimano series - Curado or Calcutta

Which reel is better for surf fishing?

Reliability, durability & casting distance.

I have a Loomis GL3 that I would like to match with one of these reels.

Any owners input, experience and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Arthur (Wingnut)

Porkchop5420
01-06-2008, 11:16 PM
i have both calcutta and curado. But other for different purposes, my calcutta is my go-to reel for saltwater and my curado is my FW bass reel. Both reels are excellent choices. Both reels have awesome freespool, both are very durable, both can handle BIG fish without a question. Depending if line capacity is not an issue for you, (i.e curado 200 and calcutta 200 have two different size line capicity) the curado carry 14lb/110 yards, the calcutta hold 14lb/120. i would recommend to take the curado just because it does offer certain feature the calcutta doesn't offer, such as the HEG( High efficieny gearing) which mean better torque and also a magnumlite spool( a light spool, meaning longer freespool) and plus the best thing about it right now up until april is the 50 dollar rebate for any curado. But the curado 200 is a bit hard to palm if your have small hands.

But IMO round baitcaster feel better winding in fish. and the calcutta can take a beating for sure, saltwater can be unforgiving and my calcutta still operate like if it was still the first day of my purchase and this is the calcutta A im talking about, now the calcutta B should be better than the pervious generation so nothing i can complain about the calcutta.

fuj
01-07-2008, 10:42 AM
IMHO, either one would be excellent. It's just a matter of whether you prefer a round or a low-profile baitcaster. Regarding reliability and durability, I only have experience with the Calcutta (had an old Curado 100B, but loaned it to a friend who still has it.) Never had issues with any of mine (50, 150, 250, 400) that have been used for surf fishing. But I feel I'm very good about reel maintenance and the ease of takedown makes the Calcutta simple to maintain. If you're negligent about maintenance, especially after use in a beach environment, neither reel is a good choice. :?

Calcuttas are, however, old school. Other than the TE series, they haven't really been updated since their inception what, over a decade ago? But that may just be validation that it's a solid design and little can or should be done to enhance it. That said, the Curado is the more modern of the two, it seems to be constantly updated. I wouldn't be surprised if the Curado was the better casting reel when casting light baits, due to a lighter weight spool. They're probably a bit lighter than the Calcutta in overall weight for the same line capacity, too. Durability-wise, it's hard to overlook the Calcutta's one-piece forged aluminum frame. But unlike long-range fishing, since we aren't targeting fish that will fully tax the reel's physical limits, the durability aspect between the two reels is negligible.

Personally, I'm more than happy with my Calcutta 50's (and soon-to-be-used 100B) for surf and bay fishing. But if I was looking to buy one today, I'd be leaning towards the Curado because of the rebate.

Wingnut
01-07-2008, 09:11 PM
PorkChop5420 & Fuj: Thank you for the terrific insights on these two reels. It was extremely helpful in my decision making process.
I have just ordered the 2008 Calcutta TE 200DC. I was a bit surprised at the high price of this reel, but I'm sure that it will give me years of enjoyment and will be well worth the investment. Thanks again for your inputs.

Arthur (Wingnut) :mrgreen:

fuj
01-08-2008, 12:32 AM
I have just ordered the 2008 Calcutta TE 200DC. I was a bit surprised at the high price of this reel, but I'm sure that it will give me years of enjoyment and will be well worth the investment. Thanks again for your inputs.

Arthur (Wingnut) :mrgreen:

You don't mess around, do ya?? :lol: You'll have a blast casting stickbaits with the DC.

Troutman65
01-08-2008, 12:40 AM
8) Wingnut !!! moving up !!! :wink:

TM65

Wingnut
01-08-2008, 12:48 AM

TM65

Always been there Patrick, always been there... :wink:

Troutman65
01-08-2008, 12:53 AM

TM65

Always been there Patrick, always been there... :wink:

Thats why I like you bro. :wink:

TM65

flopps1
01-08-2008, 11:07 AM
That's a tough decision... I have both and have no complaints. Both are very versitle reels.
Bottom line....You made the right decision either way.

Wingnut
01-10-2008, 12:25 AM
Okay, I broke down & bought the Curado 300DSV also. Hearing so many good things about both models I must add both to my surf fishing arsenal. :twisted: Thanks again for all the great inputs. :mrgreen:

flopps1
01-10-2008, 10:46 AM
Awesome.... I'm sure you will enjoy the reel for years to come. I'm pretty sure you qualify for Shimano's rebate. Think that would get you $50 bucks back. Thought I would mention it in case you were unaware. They have info on their website.

Sinjin Kim
01-10-2008, 03:28 PM
Should have just gotten a Daiwa Luna 203.

Wingnut
01-10-2008, 08:48 PM

Just finished looking at it on line, beautiful reel Sinjin, do you own one?
What makes it better, or what features that you like more compared to the Shimanos?

flopps1
01-10-2008, 10:19 PM

Hmmm... Inquiring minds would like to know why???

Anyhow, Wingnut, I've provided a couple of links/articles on each of the reels described. If you haven't already seen these, then it will definitely give you some insight on the reels. I think all the reels mentioned have a place in the market and are great performers. I think it's going to boil down to what feels best.

But....Should of just gotten a Luna???? I don't see any serious advantages over the Shimano reels. Actually, there is a slight disadvantage that goes to the Luna in comparing the Luna with the TE. But to each his own, is what I believe.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimano ... 0dhsv.html (http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimanocurado300dhsv.html)

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwaluna.html

Wingnut
01-11-2008, 01:54 AM
Flopps1: That was a good read! :thumb: Excellent comparison between the Luna & the Calcutta. Both are great reels, but I feel that I made the right choices by getting both the Calcutta TE & the Curado DSV. Can't wait until I put them in action this weekend! :mrgreen:

tacklejunkie
01-11-2008, 05:43 AM
I don't see any serious advantages over the Shimano reels. Actually, there is a slight disadvantage that goes to the Luna in comparing the Luna with the TE
And the luna is $220 while the calcutta TE is what $349?
Funny they can even compare the two reels in such different price ranges. There is a $130 difference there! Thats a a serious advantage in my book.

I like my Luna 253. Very nice reel. Broke one once but that was my fault. Got it replaced free the next day where I bought it. IT wasn't even really broken, nobody else could feel the click it made that I Was talking about.. no trouble replacing it anyways.

CAPT'N
01-11-2008, 10:01 AM
Hi Arthur,

the Calcutta is a very nice reel-I have 2 of them. They are bullet proof if used with reasonable care. Just service once a year and upgrade the drag washers when the factory one go. One is a 400, and I have caught dozens of 40lb plus Albacor and Yellowtails with it. Fishyboy caught a 100+ lb black sea bass on it.

I have fished the Curado 300DSV in a SW Bass tournament, great reel for sending swimbaits and small jigs into the pond.

Scott

flopps1
01-11-2008, 11:02 AM
I don't see any serious advantages over the Shimano reels. Actually, there is a slight disadvantage that goes to the Luna in comparing the Luna with the TE
And the luna is $220 while the calcutta TE is what $349?
Funny they can even compare the two reels in such different price ranges. There is a $130 difference there! Thats a a serious advantage in my book.

I like my Luna 253. Very nice reel. Broke one once but that was my fault. Got it replaced free the next day where I bought it. IT wasn't even really broken, nobody else could feel the click it made that I Was talking about.. no trouble replacing it anyways.

There is no arguing the price difference in the two reels. But at $220+ for the luna it puts the reel right in the middle of the Calcutta B and the TE as listed in the article. So, considering that the Luna is on the high end for Daiwa, I would think it's natural comparison that people would like to see.

But you can take the compaison in a negative way or a positive way. The fact is priced less and compared to the TE makes it a reel to really consider. Heres a quote taken from the article...Really, depends on how you look at it.

....The bottom line, is the Luna worth the money? The 100-200 sizes on the Luna retail for 229 dollars, and the 300 retails for only 10 dollars more. The Shimano Calcutta TE series ranges from 329 to 389 depending on size, while the Calcutta B retails for 189 to 279 dollars. In terms of price that puts the Luna smack dab in the middle, and yet it is able to compete with the more expensive TE series in many respects despite the fact it has a lower bearing count.

Tackle Tour is not bias to any company. If you read some other there articles, they have given Daiwa the edge in doing some of there comparisons. So, take it for what it is. No harm intended....

Sinjin Kim
01-11-2008, 02:09 PM

What makes it better, or what features that you like more compared to the Shimanos?

Sorry for the late reply. I own all four models of the Luna (103, 203, 253 & 300). First and foremost, they less expensive than the Calcutta TE's. The Luna has far fewer plastic parts than the Shimano bait casting reels and
the simplicity of design enables an angler to maintain their reels with less time and headaches.
The only downfall with the Luna reels is that one must upgrade the drags with Carbontex washers and a thin coat of Cal's Grease (only takes 15 mins.). Once the drag upgrade is complete, you will have one beast of a reel. I've personally landed 40+ pound albacore on the 203 model spooled with 30# braid.

The Lunas are not as sensitive when casting, which relates to few or zero backlash. The casting distance is amazing and effortless.

Like I've mentioned before to other friends, pay less for a reel that is equal if not superior to a Calcutta TE.
By the way, my 43" halibut fell victim to the Luna 203.

flopps1
01-11-2008, 02:39 PM
[quote="Sinjin Kim":2b6ef]Should have just gotten a Daiwa Luna 203.

Sorry for the late reply. I own all four models of the Luna (103, 203, 253 & 300). First and foremost, they less expensive than the Calcutta TE's. The Luna has far fewer plastic parts than the Shimano bait casting reels and
the simplicity of design enables an angler to maintain their reels with less time and headaches.
The only downfall with the Luna reels is that one must upgrade the drags with Carbontex washers and a thin coat of Cal's Grease (only takes 15 mins.). Once the drag upgrade is complete, you will have one beast of a reel. I've personally landed 40+ pound albacore on the 203 model spooled with 30# braid.

The Lunas are not as sensitive when casting, which relates to few or zero backlash. The casting distance is amazing and effortless.

Like I've mentioned before to other friends, pay less for a reel that is equal if not superior to a Calcutta TE.
By the way, my 43" halibut fell victim to the Luna 203.[/quote:2b6ef]

That's a matter of opinion...But glad you found what works for you!

Wingnut
01-11-2008, 04:47 PM
The Mercedes vs BMW debate... win, win situation. I guess one might have to own both. :wink:

Thanks again for all the informative & honest opinions.

Happy fishing! :mrgreen:

Ambassadorhawg
01-11-2008, 05:26 PM
Curado/Freshwater
Calcutta/Saltwater

spooks
01-12-2008, 06:23 AM
The Mercedes vs BMW debate... win, win situation. I guess one might have to own both. :wink:

Thanks again for all the informative & honest opinions.

Happy fishing! :mrgreen:

and thats what it come s down to. Mercedes or BMW ultimately it comes down to skill. thats what catches the fish sure that there are some reels that are better than others in this case it comes done to pref. if money is no object
as for me well I like Luna because is just a better crafted reel but I do have a calcutta 400 I use the Luna 9 out of 10 times should have bought 2 lunas.

Wingnut
01-13-2008, 02:51 PM
Field tested my new Calcutta TE 200DC today for the first time... flawless! What casting distance & the smoothest baitcaster I've ever worked. Will post a surf fishing report a little later. Next week, I'll be putting the Daiwa Luna 253 to the test. :wink:

SOSO
01-14-2008, 03:23 PM
Field tested my new Calcutta TE 200DC today for the first time... flawless! What casting distance & the smoothest baitcaster I've ever worked. Will post a surf fishing report a little later. Next week, I'll be putting the Daiwa Luna 253 to the test. :wink:

Wow, 200DC for surf fishing. :shock: Thought about using my Shimano CORE reel for surf for a second after reading your post. But its staying in fresh water. Is the DC series okay for salt? Great pics and reports.
I own several Calcutta's and Luna's. With owning and using both, i have to say the Luna's are overall better reels. Cheaper, more solid, less parts, smooth casts, easier to work on, etc..

flopps1
01-14-2008, 04:54 PM

Wow, 200DC for surf fishing. :shock: Thought about using my Shimano CORE reel for surf for a second after reading your post. But its staying in fresh water. Is the DC series okay for salt? Great pics and reports.
I own several Calcutta's and Luna's. With owning and using both, i have to say the Luna's are overall better reels. Cheaper, more solid, less parts, smooth casts, easier to work on, etc..

Core is actually safe for salt applications....

SOSO
01-14-2008, 07:46 PM

Core is actually safe for salt applications....

I know i have read the claim... I dont believe it. Mg salt safe?? Like a aluminum bullet proof vest.

tacklejunkie
01-14-2008, 08:19 PM
I know i have read the claim... I dont believe it. Mg salt safe?? Like a aluminum bullet proof vest.
I'll be finding that out soon. I plan to take my mg framed Fuego spinner to the beach next time. It says in the manual it will handle salt if I rinse it and there is no paint chips in the protective coat. It's the only reel I have that fits the bill for light surf perfectly, so might as well give it a shot.

BTW Wingnut, you will dig the Luna 253. You have to appreciate the engineering on that reel if you hold it in your hands, like other reels of good quality. Haven't tried anything other than a Abu C4 to compare it to, but it's a smooth and solid reel and hauls up 5lbers with ease.

Wingnut
01-14-2008, 08:58 PM
SoSoFresh - I also heard that the Core was a good saltwater reel. I have a Calais 200DC, but for the same concerns, it is staying in my freshwater arsenal.

T.J. - I can't wait to try out my new Lunas. I got the 253 in the right handed and the 203L in a left handed version. I can fish the baitcaster both ways. The Calcutta is an exceptional reel, I love it... it's gonna be hard for the Luna to top... we'll see. :wink:

flopps1
01-14-2008, 11:45 PM
SoSoFresh - I also heard that the Core was a good saltwater reel. I have a Calais 200DC, but for the same concerns, it is staying in my freshwater arsenal.

T.J. - I can't wait to try out my new Lunas. I got the 253 in the right handed and the 203L in a left handed version. I can fish the baitcaster both ways. The Calcutta is an exceptional reel, I love it... it's gonna be hard for the Luna to top... we'll see. :wink:

Let's us know....Might just boil down to perference...but i'll tell you what...can't go wrong with having both....

Sinjin Kim
01-15-2008, 03:36 AM
I'll be finding that out soon. I plan to take my mg framed Fuego spinner to the beach next time. It says in the manual it will handle salt if I rinse it and there is no paint chips in the protective coat. It's the only reel I have that fits the bill for light surf perfectly, so might as well give it a shot.

BTW Wingnut, you will dig the Luna 253. You have to appreciate the engineering on that reel if you hold it in your hands, like other reels of good quality. Haven't tried anything other than a Abu C4 to compare it to, but it's a smooth and solid reel and hauls up 5lbers with ease.

Better off with a TD Sol (spinning). Saltwater safe and water sealed drag system.

tacklejunkie
01-15-2008, 04:34 AM
Better off with a TD Sol (spinning). Saltwater safe and water sealed drag system.
I intended on the Sol spinning originally, but too late to go back and buy one now when I'd just go get the same size as my fuego(2000)
I want to try it to see what will happen. It's not like it's going to corrode out from under my nose or anything if I clean off the reel after using in salt.. It's also sealed like the Sol with CRBB and a water tight drag.
but I do admit it seems pretty sketchy to use an MG reel in the salt water.
As long as no salt water gets through the 2 protective layers of paint on the reel body, I'll be fine.

After that new Camera and fly reel, I can't afford another Sol spinner at the moment. My Fuego will have to do. :shock: My sahara 750 didn't cut it (not enough line retrieval rate and too small of a crank handle)

I had a Sol Spinner before that I returned when I bought the Fuego. Didn't think I'd be doing any salt fishing back then. Doh! :bang:

Also, I'm going to bring my Sol baitcaster out there next time for the LC flashminnow.