PDA

View Full Version : CRAWDADS AS BAIT?

lubemanone
05-06-2007, 12:31 AM
I know a place in Whittier narrows to catch a sheeaht load of crawdads, I know there great for bass but I'm planning to predominately salt water fish this summer. I thought crawdads would be great attractor as bait, on the other hand I thought this may be either illegal or unethical does anyone have a opinion either pro or con on my dilemma concerning using live crawdads as bait. one more thing if it is cool to use the lil snappers as bait what would be the best way to hook the lil' buggers?????

spooks
05-06-2007, 08:38 AM
I don't think is illegal. they do make great bait for sheaphead, I also think calicos would love them too. anyways theirs is nothing wrong with using them as bait in my opinion good luck this summer

Ambassadorhawg
05-06-2007, 08:46 AM
Yes, Sheepshead love them!

lubemanone
05-06-2007, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the tips guys, but what about the hook up I've been told through the tail from the top or from the under side of the tail? Or through the head ?Another thing Iv'e been clamped on by one of those lil buggers and it hurts like hell. I'm thinking if I hook them by the tail that's going to hinder there swimming and moving around and if by the head, won't it kill it sooner?

Ambassadorhawg
05-06-2007, 09:27 AM
Hook it through the side of the tail, not down the center. If you hook it anywhere else on the body, chances are that the hook will tear out.

They are dieing from the moment they hit saltwater, so don't worry about trying to prolong their life or hinder their action.

lubemanone
05-06-2007, 09:52 AM
Thanks!

TARHEEL15
05-07-2007, 09:58 AM
WHERE EXACTLY IN WHITTIER NARROWS ARE THE CRAWDADS? MY SON LOVES TO FIND THOSE LITTLE BUGGERS.

sonarbp
05-07-2007, 12:02 PM
WHERE EXACTLY IN WHITTIER NARROWS ARE THE CRAWDADS? MY SON LOVES TO FIND THOSE LITTLE BUGGERS.

Try Fullerton creek.......there are tons of them in there!!!!

sonarbp

Wildhorse1966
05-07-2007, 12:11 PM

Try Fullerton creek.......there are tons of them in there!!!!

sonarbp

i thought that was lemon creek ??? but yeah there is tons of them there

TARHEEL15
05-07-2007, 12:53 PM
ANY FISH IN THAT CREEK, OR JUST CRAWDADS? IS NEAR CAL STATE FULLERTON?

sonarbp
05-07-2007, 01:20 PM
ANY FISH IN THAT CREEK, OR JUST CRAWDADS? IS NEAR CAL STATE FULLERTON?

Yeah TARHEEL15 it is near Cal State Fullerton....but I don't think there is enough water for fish!!!!

I use raw bacon on a 3 to 4 foot piece of 10# line and just drop it in the deeper pools around sticks and rocks...when you feel a slight tug just pull up slowly and drop the bug in a bucket!!!!

sonarbp

lubemanone
05-07-2007, 01:53 PM
What's up, Tarheel15

I see wou work in Whittier and live in fullerton okay, so you go north on the 605 fwy, exit Rosehills Rd. Go left over freeway to stop sign go left about 1/4 mile just before bridge (find parking on street or there businesses there that may let you park close to the bridge. You can walk down on either side or the bridge into the river.
I always caought them on the south side of the bridge. There is always tons of floating foilage were the hide under. What me and my buddies would do is take a couple of weed rakes and two guys snag an end of the floating stuff and flip it over like pulling back bed sheets, and low & behold there would be crayfish dangling off the green floatin plant stuff.
I had a black retriever that loved to help us catch'um she would munch them too. Any how we would come back with buckets of them. Good luck let me know how you and your boy out there.
It's been a few years since I went out there, my dog died and it just didn't seem to be as much fun anymore, My dog was a trip she loved the water and catching crayfish. She did get bit in the upper lip once,she yelped like you wouldn't believe, but she was okay once i pulled it off, and guess what ? She went back for more that same day. :smash:

lubemanone
05-07-2007, 01:55 PM
Were is lemmon and/or fullerton creek and is there public acess ?

sonarbp
05-07-2007, 02:06 PM
What's up, Tarheel15

I see wou work in Whittier and live in fullerton okay, so you go north on the 605 fwy, exit Rosehills Rd. Go left over freeway to stop sign go left about 1/4 mile just before bridge (find parking on street or there businesses there that may let you park close to the bridge. You can walk down on either side or the bridge into the river.
I always caought them on the south side of the bridge. There is always tons of floating foilage were the hide under. What me and my buddies would do is take a couple of weed rakes and two guys snag an end of the floating stuff and flip it over like pulling back bed sheets, and low & behold there would be crayfish dangling off the green floatin plant stuff.
I had a black retriever that loved to help us catch'um she would munch them too. Any how we would come back with buckets of them. Good luck let me know how you and your boy out there.
It's been a few years since I went out there, my dog died and it just didn't seem to be as much fun anymore, My dog was a trip she loved the water and catching crayfish. She did get bit in the upper lip once,she yelped like you wouldn't believe, but she was okay once i pulled it off, and guess what ? She went back for more that same day. :smash:

Hey lubemanone, I work right around the corner from where you just descrided!!!!! If you make a right at the stop sign and go down a bit towards Rose Hills that is where I work.

Just to let you know.....the tail meat works great if you ever go surf fishing!!!!
sonarbp

lubemanone
05-07-2007, 07:11 PM
That's cool, next to the catipillar tractor dealer or down more were those new tilt up industrial buildings are. good luck, Bro

chrislxf
06-03-2007, 09:13 PM
Were is lemmon and/or fullerton creek and is there public acess ?

After doing a little googling. I found the location of Fullerton Creek. Well, I don't know where to start off. But I am thinking I could start at the intersection of Associated Rd. and Bastanchury Rd. You guys have any suggestion? Thanks.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1049/529176821_bf81c6033c_b.jpg

Source of may, Google Earth, 4.1.7087.5048 (beta)

POSTAL
06-03-2007, 10:05 PM
I have some crawdads in my fish tank haha.But I have used plastic craws in salt :)

ssrmr2
06-04-2007, 02:55 PM
hook them in the crown like for fresh water bass.

"crown" is the point between the eyes.