PDA

View Full Version : What length shaft for trolling motor do i need

fishfinder
01-05-2008, 11:00 PM
i have a 17' crestliner, and am getting the minn kota power drive. but i dont know if i need the 48" or 54" shaft.
i looked on this website and tried to go by this advice but do not know if one website is diff. from other views.

http://www.cabelas.com/story-123/ross_t ... uide.shtml (http://www.cabelas.com/story-123/ross_troll-motor_buyersguide/92/Trolling%252BMotor%252BBuyer%252527s%252BGuide.sht ml)

i am ready to order right now from amazon.com but will wait to hear from the experts. amazon has no shipping charges and no tax. $80 cheaper than basspro.

fishntoss
01-06-2008, 08:31 AM
Kinda hard to say for us, maybe. What size motor do you have? How much do you weigh? both are gonna make your bow ride differently I would think. Maybe not so much with your weight. Which Crestliner do you have. Off the top of my head,maybe go with the longer shaft. That way if your in any kind of weather or lots of boats on the water and your bow is bobbing up and down, your blades will still be in water.
The guide you linked has some good info. Measure once then measure again. If your standing in the fore part of the boat it's gonna be pretty much at the angle the boat is on the trailer at rest or trolling speeds.
The 14ft Crestliner I had provided a place up front to install a battery. If you hadn't thought of it.. an extra battery is a good idea. you don't want to run down the main for the motor.
:2cents:

fishfinder
01-06-2008, 12:50 PM
All my batteries are stored in the back. 2 for starting the engine and 1 for trolling motor, . i am leaning toward the 54" which would put the prop close to the bottem of the boat
i have a 17' fish and ski.

Dude47
01-06-2008, 10:16 PM
I suggest getting the power drive with the auto pilot, I love it, if the boat drifts turns or pivots for anyreason the motor will automatically turn to keep you going in a straight line, First one I had was on an 18ft Belmont fish/ski. It was a 54" that I used, if you have a deep V 54 is probably about right, you can always ajust it higher PS: look around, Ebay+Websites= hundred+dollars cheaper then cabelas or bass pro.

Fastfish
01-07-2008, 04:05 PM
Get The 54" its always gonna be better to have a little extra length than be too short and have the motor head surfacing continuously in ruff water because this is where the shorter shaft is a problem.

fishfinder
01-08-2008, 05:08 AM
thanks guys. i got lots of advice on and off the site, but i got the 48", which should put me 20-24" in the water. hope i made the right choice.