PDA

View Full Version : Snorkel/Fish in Maui

the1astmohican
01-05-2008, 10:12 PM
Went to Maui just after Christmas with my family and my new wife... Stayed a week for some chill time but did get to do a little fishing. We went out on a half day boat for some snorkeling and fishing out of Maalea Harbor. First part of the morning we snorkeled around Molokini. It's some of best snorkeling I've ever done in terms of diversity of life and clarity of water; second only to the Great Barrier Reef in Australia... Spent the rest of the morning hitting some rock formations on the way back to the harbor. In about 2 hours we boated 19 fish, mostly small but ornately-colored hogfish, and hawkfish. All on cut squid. Only kept two gray snapper and one mackarel-type fish.

sansou
01-05-2008, 11:39 PM
Outstanding!

That fish looks tasty with the white flaky flesh!

steve092
01-10-2008, 09:26 AM
Nice fish.
Looks like it tasted good!

Greg Madrigal
01-23-2008, 11:01 PM
Mmmmm, good!

I have a book of Hawaiian fish, and your mackarel dude is a Leatherback. AKA Lai, in Hawaiian.

The skin is so tough that they used to use them to make drums! Now they use the skin to make fishing lures. State record is just over 6.5lbs.

The other fish is a gray snapper. Aka, green jobfish, aka, uku. Those suckas get 3' in length.
Thanks for sharing the report man!.

GM<><

the1astmohican
01-27-2008, 07:54 AM
G_M-

thanks for the help with the id's&#46;

Crab
05-02-2008, 07:38 PM
Great report.
My best friends Grandparents owned the little red house that used to reside in Maalea bay.
We spent our summer there as kids staying for 30days at a time.
Awsome fishing! The Lai used to come into the harbor in schools, we'd throw custom tied flies made with the skin of the same fish.Fly and a bubble....killed em!
Nowadays the fish dont hardly ever come into the harbor anymore...its a shame.
Gosh there used to be big schools of them come in right around sunset.We'd go out at dusk barefooted with just a spinning outfit and a stringer.Those were the days.
Great sashimi by the way.
Laters