PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Fish of the day - Cabrillo

klocked
01-05-2008, 07:35 PM
Knowing that a storm will churn up lots of food for the fish, this morning I checked outside for rain - no rain. Then I went online to check for [url=http://www.mxsocal.org/weather.aspx:9e3b9]wind[/url:9e3b9] - no wind. I then checked the [url=http://tbone.biol.sc.edu/tide/tideshow.cgi?site=Cabrillo+Beach&units=f:9e3b9]tide[/url:9e3b9], and it looked like this:

[attachment=3:9e3b9]tide_2707.jpg[/attachment:9e3b9]

So I woke up my son and said let's go fishin'.. he agreed. So we head to Cabrillo with left over nightcrawlers from our trip to Irvine lake(post coming later). We get set up with a worm on each of our poles, and immediately start hooking up one after another. So I say to my son "lets move to find the biguns' ", so we move down about 30 feet and I hooked the first one and let him reel it in...

[attachment=2:9e3b9]Im002494.jpg[/attachment:9e3b9]

We moved down a little further right after that one, and he hooked and reeled in this one on his own...
This fish jumped clear out of the water twice making big splashes that my son really got a kick out of :lol:

[attachment=1:9e3b9]Im002498.jpg[/attachment:9e3b9]

Forgot the tape measure in the car so here it is next to our Plano tackle box which is 16" long...

[attachment=0:9e3b9]Im002499.jpg[/attachment:9e3b9]

The rest were small in the 6" - 8" sizes and not picture worthy.

We stayed until we used up all of the nc's. I saw a few small halibut jumping out of the water chasing baitfish. Wind was non-existent up until an hour before we left. All in all a fun day without a skunk :D

Klocked and son

ghetto dad
01-05-2008, 07:57 PM
thanks for the report bro...reports like this make me miss "those" days with my son when he was young....ENJOY any chance you get and take him fishing, before he becomes a teenager like mine.....thanks again bro

GD

flyngby
01-05-2008, 08:04 PM
That's a hog pile perch.

Great job there youngster!!!!!!!!!!

Good job dad.

sansou
01-05-2008, 11:49 PM
Nicely done!

It's amazing how earthworms work well off the pier...though in my experience they turn white and flimsy pretty quick though in the salt.

rocklee
01-06-2008, 12:31 AM
Way to get the kid out fishing!

Way to go!

Thanks for the report and pics!

rock

Fresh or Salt
01-06-2008, 02:11 PM
Looks like little man had a great time! Priceless memories. Thx 4 the report! :D

falcor49
01-06-2008, 04:36 PM
were you using night crawler ? :wink: anyways nice fish

klocked
01-07-2008, 09:27 AM
GD wrote... thanks for the report bro...reports like this make me miss "those" days with my son when he was young....ENJOY any chance you get and take him fishing, before he becomes a teenager like mine.....thanks again bro
Thanks GD, we fished every chance we could the last 2 weeks before his Christmas vacation was over. He started school again today. :? But school is more important :wink:

Flyngby wrote... That's a hog pile perch. Great job there youngster!!!!!!!!!! Good job dad.
Thanks for the reply Flyngby, That fish attracted the attention of nearly everyone there that day :mrgreen: . I didn't know a perch could stir up so much excitement.

Sansou wrote... Nicely done! It's amazing how earthworms work well off the pier...though in my experience they turn white and flimsy pretty quick though in the salt.
Thanks Sansou, I think the worms get cooked being in the saltwater. On that day, only a couple were on the hook long enough to get cooked. Also, I thought it would be a bright idea to use them up before they died, since no worms allowed to hang out in the fridge. Problem is they worked so well that my son now has a new favorite bait.... worms :mrgreen:

Rocklee wrote... Way to get the kid out fishing! Way to go! Thanks for the report and pics! rock
Thanks Rock

Fresh or Salt wrote... Looks like little man had a great time! Priceless memories. Thx 4 the report!
Thanks Fresh or Salt, he loves to fish!! Priceless memories indeed!

Falcor wrote... were you using night crawler ? anyways nice fish
Thanks Falcor, yep a nightcrawler... strange eh? They worked very well.