PDA

View Full Version : wading in owens river?

fisherkid47
01-04-2008, 07:16 PM
Hey everyne, from the past fishing season I have seen multiple reports with people wading in the owens river. I fish there a lot and I have never been wading in it because of the new zealand mud snail problem. And that there is a possibility of its eggs being on your waders which can transfer into the river. There are signs along the fence at the little entrances to the river saying no wading in it. So I was just wondering if you are allowed to wade in certain areas of it, or is the rule abolished, or are people just ignoring the rules. Info would be appreciated because I really want to go wading there. Thanks :D

WAVEMHOME
01-04-2008, 09:30 PM
I've only seen the no wading signs above Crowley. I've never heard anything about no wading in the Lower O.

fisherkid47
01-04-2008, 10:12 PM
ohh ok, thanks for the info. I have only fished the upper so I didn't know.

britheguy
01-05-2008, 04:30 PM
Yeah the mud snails are a b***h, In the lower O theres no problem! Just to say what wavemehome said. :lol:

fleaflicker
01-05-2008, 07:37 PM
If they're in the Upper, they're in the Lake, and they're in the Lower. :(

If you wade in these waters, just watch which water you wade into next. :cry:

DreStyle
01-05-2008, 10:26 PM
I've read several articles about this and they have all said that there are several steps you can take to eliminate any mudsnails remaining on your waders. I can't remember exactly what those steps are, but I'm sure if you look through enough recent fly fishing magazines you'll find something about the matter. I would also assume that the DFG has some posted guidelines.

fisherkid47
01-05-2008, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the info guys!! I will look into it some more now to see how to eliminate the snails off of your waders.

sansou
01-06-2008, 10:57 AM
I've read several articles about this and they have all said that there are several steps you can take to eliminate any mudsnails remaining on your waders. I can't remember exactly what those steps are, but I'm sure if you look through enough recent fly fishing magazines you'll find something about the matter. I would also assume that the DFG has some posted guidelines.

50/50 solution of h20 and "409" for 15 minutes minimum... I personally haven't had to do it, but I read that it is not bad on your waders and stuff.