PDA

View Full Version : Catalina Island Fishing Charter

peeples72
01-04-2008, 03:45 PM
Anyone know of boat rentals or charter boats on Catalina Island? Will be staying on the island in July for a week and want to do some fishing without paying a thousand for a boat.

cappo
01-04-2008, 04:11 PM
yes they have boat rentals there
my buddy rents them from Joes Rent a boat, theyre not cheap though

http://www.catalina.com/boating.html

Brad100
01-04-2008, 05:39 PM
I've seen these charter guys on Fishing Ventures... seem like good people.

http://www.afishinados.com/afishcharters.html

Good luck!

cappo
01-04-2008, 07:56 PM
I've seen these charter guys on Fishing Ventures... seem like good people.

http://www.afishinados.com/afishcharters.html

Good luck!

ya if you want to spend over thousand.

Brad100
01-04-2008, 08:35 PM

From their website, the new boat "Mojo"...

Mojo Half Day
Price: $600.00

Pricey? Ya... but each to his/her own. I think you should get your facts straight before spouting off, Cappo. :beat:

fishncatalina
01-05-2008, 07:55 PM
PM me when your coming and i'll hook you up with some people to put you on fish.

jlgoodnight
01-05-2008, 09:59 PM

From their website, the new boat "Mojo"...

Mojo Half Day
Price: $600.00

Pricey? Ya... but each to his/her own. I think you should get your facts straight before spouting off, Cappo. :beat:

I think Cappo is right, check the full day price :bang: who wants to fish 4 hrs for $600 the full day is over $1000. :roll:

peeples72
01-07-2008, 09:30 AM
I appreciate all the feedback. It has been a while since I have fished in SoCal waters. I grew up fishing in my kayak off Malibu so i am fairly familiar with tactics and all that, but to have no idea where to go out of Avalon.
I did see the Mojo charter before and it is damn pricey, but may be worth it if i can't find anything else. It's kinda feast or famine ( 15 hp rowboat or $1,100 charter), not much in the middle.
I will be bringing a few kayaks over with me, so i may be relegated to that, which really could be worse.
Right now in Montana it is 23 degrees and snowing. The ice clogs up the guides on my flyrod when I fish here now.
Thanks again.

fishncatalina
01-07-2008, 09:37 AM
I appreciate all the feedback. It has been a while since I have fished in SoCal waters. I grew up fishing in my kayak off Malibu so i am fairly familiar with tactics and all that, but to have no idea where to go out of Avalon.
I did see the Mojo charter before and it is damn pricey, but may be worth it if i can't find anything else. It's kinda feast or famine ( 15 hp rowboat or $1,100 charter), not much in the middle.
I will be bringing a few kayaks over with me, so i may be relegated to that, which really could be worse.
Right now in Montana it is 23 degrees and snowing. The ice clogs up the guides on my flyrod when I fish here now.
Thanks again.

Just let me know when your coming, I live on the island and know some of the charter guys, I can probably hook you up with a much better deal then you'll find online.

Brad100
01-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Just let me know when your coming, I live on the island and know some of the charter guys, I can probably hook you up with a much better deal then you'll find online.

How cool is that? I love these boards!

peeples72
01-08-2008, 10:08 AM
I agree. This board is part of the 4% of the web that actually is very useful! Thank the lord for Al Gore who invented the Internets. :lol:
Do you know if kayak fishing is good off of Avalon or relatively nearby?

If any needs info about fishing in Montana, I got ya covered.

fishncatalina
01-08-2008, 08:35 PM
I agree. This board is part of the 4% of the web that actually is very useful! Thank the lord for Al Gore who invented the Internets. :lol:
Do you know if kayak fishing is good off of Avalon or relatively nearby?

If any needs info about fishing in Montana, I got ya covered.

If your coming in july chances are you will be in range of the yellows with your kayak.....do you have a livewell on your yak?

Pm me a few weeks before you arrive and i'll let you know whats been on the chew.

You also might want to check to see if you can take your kayak with you on the boat, not sure how your planning on getting here so call to see if it's ok.

July should be a good time to get into some nice fish.

peeples72
01-10-2008, 01:32 PM
Will do. Really appreciate the help.
100000 thanks to you for the info. I am figuring out if the kayak option is there via the Express. Will let you know what I find out.

peeples72
01-11-2008, 10:09 AM
I can ship the kayak via Catalina Freight Lines for about $30.00 one way. Considering that a rental kayak is like $15.00/hour.....it will be well worth it to have it sent out there.
How does one get a live-well on a yak? I used to have one of those buckets with holes in it that you would deaddrift while fishing, but i am guessing you are talking a bit more "hi-tech"...hahaha

fishncatalina
01-11-2008, 05:23 PM
I can ship the kayak via Catalina Freight Lines for about $30.00 one way. Considering that a rental kayak is like $15.00/hour.....it will be well worth it to have it sent out there.
How does one get a live-well on a yak? I used to have one of those buckets with holes in it that you would deaddrift while fishing, but i am guessing you are talking a bit more "hi-tech"...hahaha

I don't have a yak but here's is how you can build a portable livewell.

Very good idea to have one if your brining your yak over, the yellows love smelt, so having a livewell would be a good idea.

http://www.kayaksportfishing.com/equipm ... vewell.htm (http://www.kayaksportfishing.com/equipment/submissions/ted/bait_tank/livewell.htm)

Ambassadorhawg
01-11-2008, 05:25 PM
Sorry "72",

Nothing in Catalina is CHEAP!!!

fishncatalina
01-11-2008, 05:32 PM
Sorry "72",

Nothing in Catalina is CHEAP!!!

It all depends on who you know.

Ambassadorhawg
01-11-2008, 06:55 PM
It all depends on who you know, huh? Well, on Cat island, it had better be FREE or it ain't cheap enough!

fishncatalina
01-11-2008, 07:49 PM
It all depends on who you know, huh? Well, on Cat island, it had better be FREE or it ain't cheap enough!

Most the time it is free :wink:

Ambassadorhawg
01-11-2008, 07:54 PM
Free? Then I must apply my favorite saying..."if it's free, it's me!"