PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Gear End Yoke Seal

newbefisher
01-03-2008, 09:19 PM
I have a Mercruiser Alpha One on my boat and noticed this weekend that I have gear oil leaking inside the boat. :bang: After doing some research, I figured out that I need to replace the yoke seal. I have the shop manual and found a great website http://www.mercstuff.com/yokesealreplacement.htm to do it myself. I'm just wondering if anyone else has attempted to do this fix and if so, how hard was it? I called one place and they quoted me at 8.5 hours of labor (at $89/hr). Can't afford that right now. :bawl: I'm pretty handy working on cars. This shouldn't be that much different, right? I'm just hoping to not be off the water for long.

Fastfish
01-03-2008, 09:44 PM
8.5 hrs. is insane and never call them again what a rip there is a preload to that bearing that is behind the seal and getting it set properly is a bit tricky would'nt recommend this as a shade tree project 3-3.5 and nothing more to do this.

Unless its a old saltwater boat then all bets are off and flat rate times are thrown out the window.

Fastfish

newbefisher
01-04-2008, 08:45 PM
Thanks, I didn't think it would take that long. I'm picking up my friend's cherry picker tomorrow to help with the removal. But I probably won't start on the repair until next weekend when it's not raining.

Tail Chaser
01-05-2008, 04:28 PM
Most stuff is fairly easy. The problem is having the speical tools needed.
Can save some bucks pulling the outdrive yourself.
I paid 900.00 having all new seals put in my Alpha 1 four years ago. They checked the whole drive while it was apart. Lousy shop near Canyon Country. They pointed out some pitting on a upper gear. Told them to fix what ever is needed.50hrs latter broke a tooth on the same gear :evil: Bought a brand new Alpha 1 for 2500.00 after that. 04 season.
Just had a chat with a good marine mechanic on thurs.Was giving him my old broken Alpha 1
He said these drives are throw away now days. Can pic up a brand new american
built aftermarket Alpha 1 for 1200.00 Brand new Mercs are 2000.00
Let me know if you want me to get the imfo on the brand new 1200.00 drives
Im repowering with a Merc 383ci and a Bravo 2 after my 350ci Alpha gets tired :secret:

newbefisher
01-05-2008, 11:01 PM
I paid 900.00 having all new seals put in my Alpha 1 four years ago. They checked the whole drive while it was apart. Lousy shop near Canyon Country. They pointed out some pitting on a upper gear. Told them to fix what ever is needed.50hrs latter broke a tooth on the same gear :evil: Bought a brand new Alpha 1 for 2500.00 after that. 04 season.
Just had a chat with a good marine mechanic on thurs.Was giving him my old broken Alpha 1
Im repowering with a Merc 383ci and a Bravo 2 after my 350ci Alpha gets tired :secret:

If the price for parts nears $600, I will definitely look into replacing the whole thing. Or if I get it back together only to have something else go wrong. :explode: $1,200 doesn't sound too bad when you're talking about a new Alpha 1.

Troutman65
01-06-2008, 03:32 AM
Newbe, I hope you get back on the water soon without breaking the bank to get it fixed.

TM65

fishntoss
01-06-2008, 08:38 AM
http://baylinerownersclub.org/forum/

Don't know if your boat is a Bayliner, but since most of them use the Alpha one, it would be a great place to ask this question. Like this board there are many helpful and knowledgeable people on it. Just a thought..

newbefisher
01-06-2008, 06:33 PM

You really got me thinking. I found a site that sells aftermarkets for $1,200 with free shipping.
http://www.dockpartner.com/storefrontpr ... i=17038551 (http://www.dockpartner.com/storefrontprofiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=70761&c=569172&i=17038551)

Once I get it off, I'll see how bad it really is. I may just fix the seal and then look into ordering one of these. I now know if something else happens to it, it will be replaced. :D

http://baylinerownersclub.org/forum/

Don't know if your boat is a Bayliner, but since most of them use the Alpha one, it would be a great place to ask this question. Like this board there are many helpful and knowledgeable people on it. Just a thought..

I have a Glastron, but thanks for the link. I found some useful info.

Newbe, I hope you get back on the water soon without breaking the bank to get it fixed.

TM65

Thanks, me too. Looks like I'll have to be Budman's first mate for awhile. :wink:
It's actually given me the urge to do some shore fishing at Lake Hemet. I haven't fished there in months. I think I'm going to try it next weekend.