PDA

View Full Version : Idle speed

Daryl
01-02-2008, 04:16 PM
I have a couple questions. At idle speed, my boat travels at 2.9 mph according to GPS.
From the information that I have gathered, the ideal trolling speed is about 1.5 mph when trolling spinners such as
Rooster tails, is this correct? Is my best or only option to change out the prop in order to cut my idle speed down to 1.2 - 1.5 mph?

Thanks in advance.

sansou
01-02-2008, 04:38 PM
Try pulling a drift sock, or 5 gallon bucket with holes in it. Not sure what would be best for you as I have no clue what you're driving.

Rooster
01-02-2008, 05:39 PM
Put on a trolling plate theres alot on ebay or most boat shops have them... like this one >
http://cgi.ebay.com/Trolling-Plate-HAPP ... dZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.com/Trolling-Plate-HAPPY-TROLLER-Large_W0QQitemZ280188090660QQihZ018QQcategoryZ3615 1QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Once ya slow it down, you will kill them trolling.. Trolling plate is the best (IMO) and they make several diffrent ones. Make sure to get the correct size that matches your engine size...

Daryl
01-02-2008, 08:17 PM
Here's the fishing machine in action at the Vine. I would need to replace the stabilizer currently installed. Should be a simple procedure. That plate looks like it would work great.

I'm not sure if the bucket would slow me down enough, what do you think?

This thing started out as a pleasure boat but I'm slowly transforming it into a fish stalker. Bow mount trolling motor for the bass, downrigger and rod holders for the troll, electric livewell, bimini for the bait and wait in the summer.
B.O.A.T: Break Out Another Thousand...

sansou
01-02-2008, 11:02 PM
Make the investment in a trolling plate then, as you have a big boat. (I was thinking for some reason you had an outboard maybe).

Fastfish
01-03-2008, 09:08 PM
You did'nt mention what motor was in it but the suggestions offered are the best ones and may need to be used in combination to acheive the ideal 1.2-1.5 a paddle wheel speedo is the most accurate at these low speeds though and you might be moving slower than you think.

newbefisher
01-03-2008, 09:11 PM
I currently use a drift sock on my boat. I do about 3.5mph at idle speed and the drift sock lowers it down to 1.5-2.5 depending on the current and winds. It's a good cheap way to slow down (about $30). I'm looking to replace the prop to one with a lower pitch to slow me down instead.

sansou
01-03-2008, 09:17 PM
I currently use a drift sock on my boat. I do about 3.5mph at idle speed and the drift sock lowers it down to 1.5-2.5 depending on the current and winds. It's a good cheap way to slow down (about $30). I'm looking to replace the prop to one with a lower pitch to slow me down instead.

Be careful doing that. Keep an eye on your tach if you have one, so you don't overspin when you throttle up. This has been a perennial issue for me when I take my boat fishing up and down the mountains all the while constantly changing props.

Daryl
01-04-2008, 10:44 AM
You did'nt mention what motor was in it but the suggestions offered are the best ones and may need to be used in combination to acheive the ideal 1.2-1.5 a paddle wheel speedo is the most accurate at these low speeds though and you might be moving slower than you think.

Could the GPS speed be that far off? The boat has a 4.3 V6 Volvo with 190HP. I have the correct prop at the moment according to the manual, WOT runs about 5000 RPMS at 55 MPH (when I'm by myself).

Which direction would you throw a drift sock out?

basscaptain
01-04-2008, 03:42 PM

Could the GPS speed be that far off? The boat has a 4.3 V6 Volvo with 190HP. I have the correct prop at the moment according to the manual, WOT runs about 5000 RPMS at 55 MPH (when I'm by myself).

GPS is the ONLY WAY to watch your speed the rest of the options are not Ture speed

Drift sock goes behind you if your trolling

newbefisher
01-04-2008, 08:40 PM

Be careful doing that. Keep an eye on your tach if you have one, so you don't overspin when you throttle up. This has been a perennial issue for me when I take my boat fishing up and down the mountains all the while constantly changing props.

Luckily, I just installed a new tach because my old one didn't work... I would mostly be doing this at Skinner where you can't go over 10mph.

A drift sock is used to create drag. You would attach a 5ft rope to it and toss it out. I also attach a second rope to the end so that it's easy to dump out and pull it in.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... rchResults (http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&partNumber=74034&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults)

Fastfish
01-04-2008, 11:54 PM
Honestly paddle wheel speedo's are the most accurate @ lower speeds not GPS Mercury marine has done studies that why some of there marine system use multi source input I use a GPS on my own boat for the main speedo reading but not for trolling when I was living up north on Lake Almanor all the truly successful trollers used paddle wheel speedo's there is a difference.

I've had great luck with 4.3 motors getting idle speeds as low as 600rpm in gear and be as smooth as can be.Take a screwdriver with ya play with the mixture screw and the idle screw while idling in gear you'll be suprised how low you can go.

Fastfish

Tail Chaser
01-05-2008, 04:59 PM
Start out watching your lures how they swim.
I think a bucket would do the job. With some small holes makes a nice chum bucket too.
B.O.A.T. At least that money is for fun stuff 8)
Nothing better than having your own boat :mrgreen:
Now if I only had 15k for upgrading to a new Merc 383ci Bravo 2. Just for the heck of it :roll:
And to think I do not want to spend the $55.00 to go on a Cattle Boat :oops: :mrgreen: