PDA

View Full Version : 15 days in Amazon

candyfly
01-01-2008, 01:27 PM
It is a late repot but, I would like to share with our members before the year ends.
It is my annual fishing trip to Amazon with my buddies :group: . It was 15 days in Amazon for Peacock Bass Fishing. It is nothing but hard core fishing with Top Water only. We went to 3 different tributaries in Amazon to find better water level which is the key to the success in Amazon fishing. We had truck load of drinking water, beer, and liquors……full of fun. :beer:
I had a blast in first two days and got skunks :skunk: on next three days, so I went on hunting for our barbeque party….^^

My buddies and me have been fishing in Amazon for years now. This year was very special. We have been rented same ship called “Marco Polo” for years. Marco Polo will be retired end of this year. But, we will still have our crew. My good old buddy in Brazil is building a new ship and we will launch it next year. Here is picture of baby Peacock Bass….^^

BIGRED KILLA
01-01-2008, 02:01 PM
Wow that must of been sick on top water plugs for peacock bass :thumb:

Bigred

sansou
01-01-2008, 03:35 PM
Very impressive! :D

one_leg
01-01-2008, 03:43 PM
Nice fish!

Be careful down there, I heard there is a fish that likes to swim right up the ole' anaconda when you go wee wee.

One_Leg

BIGRED KILLA
01-01-2008, 05:03 PM
Ya i heard of that fish One_leg. When they swim into the hole it sticks its spikes out and if you pull it :eyepop: :cry:

Bigred

Troutman65
01-01-2008, 11:01 PM
Ya i heard of that fish One_leg. When they swim into the hole it sticks its spikes out and if you pull it :eyepop: :cry:

Bigred

I heard the same thing.

Nice bass. I dig the bit*hen colors on it !@!!!

TM65

cappo
01-02-2008, 09:32 AM
awesome job
thats on my list to do
what was the biggest one caught?

Granny Fish
01-02-2008, 10:08 AM
Beautiful fish!

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum1/download.php?id=9449

Thanks for the report.

candyfly
01-02-2008, 02:38 PM
Anaconda?????..^^ I will have it for breafast. :dedhorse: I have caught couple of them before with local technique (a hook, rope and chicken). It tastes like chicken. It is pretty good. But, if you compare with Alligator tail….hmmmmm !!! :beer: It is nothing like fried/barbequed Alligator tail with cold beer.
Anaconda is the biggest fear for locals during low water level season (Oct – Feb). When water level drops down to the knee high, locals go into the water and catch tropical fish. Catching tropical fish can very profitable for them. There has been numerous death caused by Anaconda and Alligator. So, locals tide the rope around each other when they go into the water.
In Amazon, only the Top Water count. Any lures that submerges under the water do not count. The biggest Peacock Bass I ever caught was right over 8 Kg. It is about 18 pound. My friend who lives in Brazil said he has seen 24 kg Peacock Bass at the local fish market. It is about 52.8 lb.
So, I always used 50 lb braided with 60-80 lb carbon leader. My friend owns a lure company and his top water lures are specially designed for Peacock Bass Fishing in Amazon. Here is another picture of Peacock Bass. Locals call it “AJU”. Aju can be found in southern part of Brazil. I caught this one two years ago. Please let me know, if anyone of you thinking about going Amazon for Peacock Bass Fishing. I will hook you guys up. It will be way cheaper.

ikeman
01-02-2008, 09:20 PM
Awesome report and great pictures. I've fished for rainbow bass in Lake Nicaragua and Arenal on surf trips to Costa Rica. Never as big as your "babies" but fun none the less! Great top water fighters! WOW! I miss the trips.........

Thanks for the exotic post candyfly.

Troutman65
01-03-2008, 12:04 AM
Why is it that only the top water count?

TM65

WARRIORMIKE
01-03-2008, 10:42 AM
nice fish :banana:

sonarbp
01-03-2008, 11:52 AM
My friend who lives in Brazil said he has seen 24 kg Peacock Bass at the local fish market. It is about 52.8 lb.

Man a world record fish for sale at the fish market!!!!!!!! 52.8 lbs would have crushed the current all tackle world record of 27 lbs!!!!!

Nice report!! I would love to get away and catch some of those beautiful bass. How much does a trip like that cost you?

sonarbp

KaliDawgFan
01-03-2008, 12:27 PM
That's a baby?! What do you use to catch the adults? natives?

calico killer kevin
01-03-2008, 06:20 PM
:shock: :shock: :shock: If those are oly babies then my 2 inch peacock bass must be right out the stomach! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Calico Killer Kevin

candyfly
01-04-2008, 07:26 PM
yeh....visiting local fish market is truly fun. you can find all stypes of fish you have never seen before and they are giagantic :eek2:
Fish called "PIRARUKU" is a ancient fish that has a lung. Piraruku is a well adpated fish in all types of water, espcially in muddy water. Thus, it developed lung on their body. It surface to breath 2 or 3 times a day.

Why top water only? Because, it is so easy to catch with other lures that submerge under water. It is like you are using a live SHAD on fall season.

One place I truly want to go is CUBA. Spectacular fishing over there. I only heard about it but, one of those days.....^^

Ciao
candyfly

Native Gal
01-04-2008, 11:08 PM
Man what a killer report :D .
15 years ago I read an article about the Peacock Bass in the Amazon River. That is a dream of mine to go down there some day to fish. Beautiful fish and aggressive fighters. Keep the pixs coming.

Native Gal
mleegal