PDA

View Full Version : Erna B then Speed Twin (Ventura) 12/30/07

shh777
12-30-2007, 08:16 PM
I went fishing in Ventura today for some rockfish. I left the Pasadena area at 5:30 and got to Port Hueneme at 6:30, but there were not enough passengers for the Erna B to go out. There were 17 reservations, but only 7 showed. FYI: the Erna B is a great boat. It’s really small, but it has a mom-and-pop feel to it. I went on it two years ago and we caught some big reds from that boat. Their customer service and knowledge are hands down one of the best.

We were directed to the ˝ day boat, Speed Twin, out of Channel Islands Sportfishing Center; they had a boat leaving at 9:00am. We got over there and had some time to kill so we chilled out at the mouth of the harbor and saw some surfers do their thing - it was very relaxing.

We finally got on the boat - and what a boat it was. This thing was huge. The front looked like the stern and the sides actually had room to cast overhead if you wanted to. What I really liked about the boat was how you put your rod and reel up off the ground so saltwater won’t get on it. The bathrooms were nice and the eating area was clean and spacious. They made good use of space on that boat.

The boat went first to get some live bait before we got on the boat at 8:30, and when it got back we headed out to Anacapa Island. We got to see some dolphins play on the bow of the boat. There were hundreds of them out there. When we got to the fishing place, which was in 70 feet of water, we proceeded to catch us some rockfish. I used my Pacifica rod and Penn 309m as my tools – only 60 bucks total for this combo…haha. My back up was a Daiwa boat rod and Penn Squidder – only 80 bucks total… Only the best for rockfishing. In the first couple of stops I picked up a Sculpin, Tree fish, and one Chucklehead(?). They were decent size, but not great. We then moved about 6 more times, but all in the same general vicinity. Our last tries were out deep – I mean real deep. I caught some more rockfish, but they were small. And I caught some sanddabs, about 7. It was pain to keep reeling in our rigs. But for sanddabs – for sure! I ended up catching 13 rockfish, and 7 Sanddabs. Out of the 13 only 4-5 were decent size, the rest were either given to the birds because they were super tiny or I tried to send it back down. Unfortunately, we never got into any reds. The Captain did try to look, but no luck. I finished the day catching a 1lb double hamburger and coke.

The crew on this boat was helpful. Every time I needed a tangle untangled they were there and every time I needed a fish unhooked they were there. The crew was also organized – from the beginning to end. Even when they cleaned fish they iced it for you. I am very impressed with my few trips up to Ventura. The crew was awesome and they had a politeness and way about them that makes you want to fish on their boats. It was a fun day to go out fishing on a great boat.

Ambassadorhawg
12-30-2007, 08:31 PM
Cool report and yes, that is a Chucklehead.

Thanks,
Ambassadorhawg

shh777
12-30-2007, 09:06 PM
I forgot the picture of the sign when you enter. There is a huge rock hanging by chains on the right of the sign....

one_leg
12-31-2007, 01:26 AM
shh777, great report!

Cats are cool. That one looks pretty high up off the water. How much was the cost of the trip?

One_Leg

ghetto dad
12-31-2007, 02:11 AM
WOW!! I love the pics of that boat.....soooo much room!!! Thanks for the report, and great job......

Oz
12-31-2007, 03:01 AM
sweet report and to hear u had a great time fishing before the new year. kinda sad that big of a boat and they running half days??? i hope thats just for winter season lol

shh777
12-31-2007, 06:47 AM
It was $40. 9am-3:30pm. The food was on the expensive side as well, but not terrible. For example, a double hamburger was $6, a coke $1.50. They even charged for sacks. Even though I paid more and tipped I would have done it again.

FYI: I usually go on the Matt Walsh for local trips.

cappo
12-31-2007, 10:27 AM
Nice job. I fished that boat before. Usually gets very crowded.
I like how the deck sits way above water. You dont need deck boots since you dont get wet.

Ricky-Ray
12-31-2007, 10:44 AM
WOW there's alot of room on that boat. Great report. I might have to give the Speed Twin a try next year.

JapanRon
12-31-2007, 07:08 PM
HI shh777,

Excellent report ... no ... super report !! Thanks for the info on another boat up north. I have only heard about hte Speed Twin and those pictures back up previous comments.

I assume those pictures are from a cell phone. Quality of pictures really getting good on those things.

Thanks again and great job on the info and fishys in the bag!!

JapanRon

shh777
12-31-2007, 11:46 PM
Nah, I had a regular digital camera, but had to resize for the message board. I'm still learning how to post pics up. I know the pics look small.

What is the trick to posting up bigger pics??

KILLA
01-04-2008, 06:14 PM
Way to show the whole trip. That burger made me hungry

tight lines

killa