PDA

View Full Version : COROLOMA CODS 12-29-07

Ambassadorhawg
12-30-2007, 08:15 AM
I wanted to get in one last trip for the year and the season. I had originally planned on fishing from Sea landing but the trip was cancelled so I hit up one_leg about the trip he was going on which was a 976-TUNA charter. There was plenty of spots available so I jumped on that trip.

The Coroloma is a great boat with a great crew and captain. We headed up the line to fish the "Dome" for the day. It's deep water by today's standards. We fished 330-360 all day long. Needless to say, my arms are tired!

The weather was almost too nice. At one point during our day, there was no wind at all and therefore, we were dead on the water with no drift and no bites. But we scratched away throughout the day and everyone including the crew ended up with limits.

I started off in the morning with a 2 hook bait rig but as soon as I saw how nice it was going to be, I switched to a heavy jig and stuck with it all day. I fished up on the bow almost exclusively to avoid the crowd. I started with a 12 oz. jig and downsized to an 8 oz. size as the day progressed. I only lost one jig all day which is great.

The majority of the fish I saw caught were Greenstripes and Green Spots but I also saw quite a few nice Chillipeppers, a few Reds, Barberpoles, the odd Samon Grouper and Bank Perch plus some of the smaller species like Rosy's and Square Spots. There was quite a few Sand Dabs taken as well. I saw one baby Ling and a baby Cow, both of which were immediately released.

Yeah, right! Like the Cow was going to survive. It drifted away, dead...a total waste and a STUPID LAW!

I caught 3 rocks during the coarse of the day. Each of them fought pretty well, LOL! It's fun to watch all of the life come crawling out of the rocks once they are onboard.

All in all, a good trip with a fun bunch of guys. Nice to finally meet you Alan and Steve!

Pics added....

Greg Madrigal
12-30-2007, 09:39 AM
Hey there A.H.! Great report (But where r the pics?!_)

J/k
I don't know HOW you know all those ifferent species of rockfish. It's all greek 2 me!LOL!

Great job on the jig fish tho I am not understanding this part...."LOL! It's fun to watch all of the life come crawling out of the rocks once they are onboard. "

Where is the Corolama out of, and how far out is the dome?

Thanks & Happy New Year,

GM

Ambassadorhawg
12-30-2007, 09:58 AM
Hey GM,

The Coroloma is based out of Ventura Sportfishing in Ventura Harbor in Ventura, CA which is in Ventura County! WOW, that was hard to type! (Sorry for the smart-***!)

The "Dome" is about 2 to 2 1/2 hours (traveling time on a sportboat) West of the harbor. It's a big highspot that is between Santa Cruz Island and the mainland. I think it is called "Rincon Reef" on fishing maps.

Happy New Year to all!

Greg Madrigal
12-30-2007, 10:54 AM
Great thanks!

Curious to the jig u were using too. Gotta pic by chance? If u wanna, u can PM me that info.

Happy Holidays,

Greg

Ambassadorhawg
12-30-2007, 01:14 PM
I was using a MYK's jig. In other words, they are jigs that I pour myself. Kinda a blend in design between a JAX and a Fryberger.

JapanRon
12-30-2007, 02:14 PM
Hi Ambassadorhawg,

Good job on those tough-as-nails rocks!! Good deal on your being able to get out and fish!

thanks for the info ...... especially since it's concerning a boat we don't often hear about!!

JapanRon

migfrias
12-30-2007, 02:30 PM
about 16-18 years ago the boat was bought by Gary Implom (use to run the Gentlemen). It was moored at San Diego and brought up to Ventura to run 3/4 day trips. I was just wondering who was the owner/captian of her now?

miguel

one_leg
12-30-2007, 02:48 PM
Hey Mike, It was great getting to finally meet you. I was a lil busy at the stern, or else I might have spent a bit more more time chatting with you. Next time we'll chew the fat a little longer! Glad to hear you caught some fish on the Jigs. I'm interested in making some of those myself. I'd have used mine, but at 4.5 oz. they would take a week and half to get to the bottom....LOL

Great job on the jig fish tho I am not understanding this part...."LOL! It's fun to watch all of the life come crawling out of the rocks once they are onboard. "

Greg, I think what Mike is refering to are the little critters that trying to abandon ship, so to speak. Once they realize they are in a dying fish, and there is nothing holding them back, they scamper out of their mouths and make a beeline for the scuppers in a last ditch effort to survive. Crabs, shrimps, Octopi, lil fishies, etc. are often seen attempting to make the migration back to Davey Jones' Locker. When a fishes swim bladder pops their stomachs out of their mouths they disgorge all the stomach contents on the way up to the surface.

One_Leg

Ambassadorhawg
12-30-2007, 02:53 PM
Not sure who owns the boat but I can tell you a little history fact about it's name. The name Coroloma is a combination of Coronado (as in Coronado Islands) and Loma (as in Point Loma). Trippy, huh? I guess you could say that this boat's history is from the San Diego area...

cappo
12-30-2007, 04:20 PM
I didn't get to meet you yesterday, maybe next time. Maybe we did talk on the boat, I don't remember.
Fishing was OK, wish the bigger models were around. Reeling in from 360ft takes its toll on you.
Anyways had a good time on the boat. Hope you don't mind that I added more pics to your report.

Here's alan in the background babbling away.
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e290/cappo5150/Coroloma/DSC03548.jpg

Jackpot fish. Wheres my $ sign.
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e290/cappo5150/Coroloma/DSC03541.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e290/cappo5150/Coroloma/DSC03554.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e290/cappo5150/Coroloma/IMGP1484.jpg

one_leg
12-30-2007, 04:34 PM

Juan, you crack me up!!! You didn't even meet the guy, you think, and you're asking him for your CashMark....LMAO

O_L

cappo
12-30-2007, 04:54 PM

Juan, you crack me up!!! You didn't even meet the guy, you think, and you're asking him for your CashMark....LMAO

O_L

It was directed towards the $ sign giver outer not mike.

cappo
12-30-2007, 04:54 PM

O_L

one_leg
12-30-2007, 04:57 PM

O_L

Oh! Nevermind. :lol:

One_Leg

ghetto dad
12-30-2007, 05:08 PM
great to meet you too man....i had some bad info about your report man....sorry about that....we were looking for you when we left the boat......we went and had some ice cream!! lol...later mike

GD