PDA

View Full Version : HOOPIN 'DONDO PIER

Re8elmonk0341
12-29-2007, 11:59 AM
Went out last night solo to Redondo with 2 nets to do some hoopin. Got there 'bout 1930 (7:30) left 0130 (1:30) Ended up with 4 rock crabs. I didn't get the 1st crab until 11ish (high tide). Checking it every 30-45 mins. Bait of choice was frozen macks I bought from the Korean store. Talked to some of the regulars there that fish for them :evil: (since there's nothing we can do to stop them, and DFG won't do anything. I thought, why don't I pick their brains for some INTEL and I'm sharing it with you all.) and he said that it have been pretty good lately, yesterday was the first slow night. Some older mexican dude caught 4 lobsters and 10 crabs. But he was fishing for them. WE ALL KNOW THAT'S NOT ALLOWED Sorry no pics, we all know what they look like.

disbejonnn
12-29-2007, 12:31 PM
thanks for the report! i've been waiting for someone to post something about redondo. I really wanted to try out there but now.... bleh...

Re8elmonk0341
12-30-2007, 09:02 PM
SOMETHING I FORGOT TO MENTION TRY TO GET THERE BEFORE HIGH TIDE, THAT'S WHEN THE CRABS / LOBSTER STARTS TO CRAWL That's what the dudes on the pier said.

CoffeaRobusta
01-02-2008, 03:29 PM
I'm confused? Why aren't they allowed to fish for them but you are? Are they hookn'lining for them?

Re8elmonk0341
01-02-2008, 03:56 PM
I'm confused? Why aren't they allowed to fish for them but you are? Are they hookn'lining for them?
Correct me if I'm wrong guys, you're not allowed to fishing for lobsters or crabsusing hook and line, you can only catch them by net or hand?
CoffeaRobusta I was NOT fishing for them!!!!! If you read my post......

"Went out last night solo to Redondo with 2 nets to do some hoopin. " and I also said that there was people out that night fishing for them, and I was talking to them getting information.

CoffeaRobusta
01-04-2008, 03:52 PM
Sorry man. I had a different interpretaion on the meaning of the word fishing. To me fishing is any effort to catch an animal out of the water, whether it be hookn'line, trap, net, whatever. And yes, you are right in our area you are only allowed to take by hand or hoop net. Were they using those snare traps that go on your line?

Re8elmonk0341
01-04-2008, 07:16 PM
Bro they were using the many treble hook method and I even saw one dude use a bunch of tangled fishing line with one hook for the bait, so when the crab/lobster try to get at the food they'll get caught up. (which I thought was kind of smart...that he came up with it)

gavin310
01-07-2008, 11:13 PM
That's funny, I was trying to get some crabs from the Ventura Pier and I made a similar concoction of tangled fishing line with a hook and a piece of squid in the middle. It didn't work :) I actually didn't even think that it might be illegal to do that. I did get 6 good crabs in my hoop though...

Troutman65
01-08-2008, 12:46 PM
Good deal on the recon for the intel . :wink:

Thanks for the report

TM65