PDA

View Full Version : macadamia crusted fish

ikeman
12-28-2007, 11:39 AM
This is my quick and somewhat healthier version of a classic. Serve with some sticky rice and veggies (below) Your wife will think you are Roy Yamaguchi of Roy's. I have a Henry's food market close and they have bulk items such as nuts and grains. I get only the amount I need for that meal, cause macadamia and other nuts will go rancid. Also you get what you need and not spend a bunch. Good fresh veggies and they also have a decent selection of fish (when you don't have fresh caught) that's usually reasonably priced. I love to cook and try to do healthier and quick variations to the food I have experienced in the restaurants I have enjoyed. I'll post some more later.

macadamia crusted fish with sweet chili sauce

Fish fillets- dorado, halibut, yellowtail, ono, opah, etc...
Honey
fresh ginger grated, with juice
macadamia nuts, ground up coarse (food processor, pulsed a few times, or smashed with a mallet)
cilantro, chopped fine
cooking spray, such as Pam

sticky rice- calrose or similar

Preheat oven to 350.
spray the bottom of a glass baking dish with the Pam.
Cut up fillets to serving sizes and place in dish leaving room on all sides. This ensures you have room to do the next step and also the coating does not get soggy when cooking.
Coat fillets with honey. Sticky job. You don't need a lot, but the honey helps the nut mix stick on the fish and keeps it moist.
Combine some of the cilantro, ginger and all the nuts.
(you will use some of the ginger and cilantro if you make the veggies below)
Coat the fish with the nut mix on the top first and any leftovers, press on the sides.
Place dish in oven, uncovered, for about 15 min or until the nuts brown a bit and the fish flakes when forked. Time will vary with the thickness of the fillets. Do not flip the fish. That's it!!
When done serve over sticky rice. Drizzle some Chili sauce over the top and serve with veggies below or your favorite side.

Sweet Chili sauce

1/2 cup Mae Ploy (sweet chili sauce found in asian markets such as Marukai or your local store)
2 tbs Mirin - you really don't need this, I use it to thin the sauce a bit
cilantro, chopped very fine

Combine ingredients in small microwave safe bowl. Adjust amounts depending on the amount of fish you are serving.
Microwave the sauce for 15-30 seconds, only to warm and combine flavors, otherwise you will kill it. Spoon sauce over fish laying on rice bed.

Quick veggi saute. Adjust the amounts of veggies for the number of servings.

Sugar Snap Peas, Fresh
Carrots, peeled and cut in match stick size
Red pepper, seeded and membrane cut out. thin slices of red portion only, about the length of the matchstick carrots
butter or margarine
salt and pepper, to taste

Saute the veggies in a very small amount butter for 1-2 minutes. All these veggies should be crisp and not saturated in butter. Salt and pepper lightly, to taste. (Most people over season sauted vegatables, remember the emphasis is on the fresh taste of the veggies, not the seasoning.)

Serve with a good Sauvignon Blanc or favorite island cocktail and Bon Appetit! 8)