PDA

View Full Version : Trolling for Trout

SDJHawk
12-27-2007, 08:20 PM
Curious what you works best for you guys when trolling for trout? I have better luck not trolling than trolling. Anything work good for you... spinners, pb, kastmasters?

fisherkid47
12-27-2007, 09:40 PM
I prefer to use a silver needle fish, or a pink or red mirashad, and yozuirs. I prefer to use lead core when I troll, but if you don't, you can just put a couple of split shots 4 feet up the line. Also you can use pretty much any other minnows that are around 2-4 inches long. Remember to troll in a S pattern, and if you get a hit in a spot, go back through there. There could be a school in that spot.

This should be in general freshwater, plus you will get a lot more of advice there.

fisherkid

fisherkid47
12-27-2007, 10:19 PM
some lures I use

SDJHawk
12-27-2007, 11:54 PM
Thanks fisherkid,
I thought about the rapalas but wasn't sure if one needed to troll at a faster pace than a tube for these kind of lures. I don't get any hits trolling with anything. What about trolling nightcrawlers or powerbait? Do those work?

SDJHawk
12-27-2007, 11:55 PM
Thanks fisherkid,
I thought about the rapalas but wasn't sure if one needed to troll at a faster pace than a tube for these kind of lures. I don't get any hits trolling with anything. What about trolling nightcrawlers or powerbait? Do those work?

Ooops. Sorry for the double post.

tacklejunkie
12-28-2007, 07:40 AM
Try a sinking Rapala coundown 3 size lure in silver. (CD3) for trolling.
Trout love those things and they catch the bigger fish!
The lures below all work fairly well for trout and micro bass. I circled the CD3's for you..

Swampchicken
12-28-2007, 04:49 PM
CD-3's and CD-5's have always worked great for me. Firetiger in pretty much any lure you choose will generally get bit. I go straight mono, 6lb, tied off with a duolock.

Davey

diamondbear
12-31-2007, 01:50 PM
trolling with a float tube is a good way to go . the way i see it , it lets you cover alot of shore line , as the majority of trout are on the bottom during winter months . ive never had much luck trolling rapalas , it just forces you to work to hard . my fins of choice are force fins as these ive found give me more of a better return stroke and doesn't fatiuge me as much . I'll rig my lines with 4 lbs. line using a clear water bobber with 2- 3 LITTLE split shot forced inside this way it stays on the bottom and sinks a little faster . using your favorite power bait with a 2-3 foot leader and 2 rods just cruise real slow across the shore line just out of reach of the shore guys and you'll do better than you can imagine , lol // db

Bronzeback
12-31-2007, 04:11 PM
Curious what you works best for you guys when trolling for trout? I have better luck not trolling than trolling. Anything work good for you... spinners, pb, kastmasters?
A deadly tube troll rig for bottom hugging trout is a small floating Rapala on a one foot leader with a 3-way swivel and a 1-2' drop weight. Have caught hundreds of trout on this rig. Also, power worms (or nightcrawler) with 2' leader ahead of small swivel and no weight. Good rig for shallow/mid-depth fish. A no-weight spinner rig with nightcrawler is also good. The key is not to use any additional weight on the lure. Tube trolling is just to slow to effectivley fish weighted spoons, spinners ect.

fishinmagician
01-01-2008, 11:45 AM
firetiger rapala in a cd5 or cd7

Skyler
01-06-2008, 02:56 PM
For trolling in a tube i like to use small plastics. Hard to keep a constant enough speed to work spinners and spoons right. Splitshotting 'em works fine, but if there's a lot of crud on the bottom, a dropshot rig will keep your plastic from getting fouled with weeds.

fisherkid47
01-06-2008, 03:50 PM
Thanks fisherkid,
I thought about the rapalas but wasn't sure if one needed to troll at a faster pace than a tube for these kind of lures. I don't get any hits trolling with anything. What about trolling nightcrawlers or powerbait? Do those work?. yH

You dont have to go that fast if you use a rapala, just fast enough for the lure to get its motion going. And yah, I troll w/ night crawlers sometimes, but you just have to go really really slowly, so just kinda cruise around. Or you can just drift w/ the current, or [drift]. When you troll with one from a tube I would use a clear bubble w, some of those bead weights in it. I have heard of guys before using power bait, but I have never had any personal experience using it myself. Diamond bear seems to know what he is talking about w/ the powe rbait.

trolling with a float tube is a good way to go . the way i see it , it lets you cover alot of shore line , as the majority of trout are on the bottom during winter months . ive never had much luck trolling rapalas , it just forces you to work to hard . my fins of choice are force fins as these ive found give me more of a better return stroke and doesn't fatiuge me as much . I'll rig my lines with 4 lbs. line using a clear water bobber with 2- 3 LITTLE split shot forced inside this way it stays on the bottom and sinks a little faster . using your favorite power bait with a 2-3 foot leader and 2 rods just cruise real slow across the shore line just out of reach of the shore guys and you'll do better than you can imagine , lol // db

fisherkid

BBL2Baja
01-06-2008, 07:11 PM
If it works for trout on the slow retrieve or even stillfishing, you can troll with it. Rapalas, needlefish, Dick Nite spoons, Jake's, Mepps, PMs, they are all great standards for the troll. Trolling with small plastics or NCs is another great way to go when trolling with mono or FC. One BBL local I know, and who is a regular on this board, even trolls with powerbait (in his boat) and catches fish.

If trout bite it, you can troll with it.

Later,
Scott