PDA

View Full Version : Going to Buy a Hobie - Please HELP~!!!

k3vin_kim
12-25-2007, 07:25 PM
Hi guys, I'm looking into buying a Hobie Outback fish or a Hobie Revolution Fish.

I'm primarily going to be using it for saltwater fishing. Can you guys give me some feedback on some pro's and cons for either of the 2?

btw, I've never sat in a kayak before so I'm a little nervous about tipping over.

fisherkid47
12-26-2007, 11:35 AM
btw, I've never sat in a kayak before so I'm a little nervous about tipping over.[/quote]

To answer this,
I have never been fishing from a kayak before, but I've been kayaking a lot in the ocean. Don't be nervous about tipping over. I never have, even while fooling around while paddling standing up, so you should be safe.

fisherkid

cglant
12-26-2007, 12:17 PM
Hey Kevin this is Cory I was on the Grande with you during the summer when we both scored a yellowtail. I played poker with you and your buddy. Anyways I just bought the Mirage Sport its a little smaller than the Outback but also really stable. I would recommend the Outback just because it has a flatter bottom and its much more stable. The pedal system is great for fishing and it only took about two trips to really get comfortable. When you go to purchase your hobie just make sure that the bottom is much flatter and the width is more than 29 inches wide. Mine is 29.5 inches wide and the Mirage outback is 33 inches. I can carry mine up and down stairs into my apartment because it only weighs 48 pounds, where as the Outback weighs 62 pounds. Also dont get a white one because I have notice when I go outside the bays and harbors and the swell is up that the white ones blend in with the white caps. Let me know if you end up getting one I would like to head out to do some fishing

k3vin_kim
12-26-2007, 04:39 PM
alrite. Thanks for the feedback guys.

socalhover
12-26-2007, 05:36 PM
hey k3vin,

southwind kayaks hosts a demo day in newport beach about once a month.

http://www.southwindkayaks.com/demos.html

take this opp to try the different kayaks out or check out your local kayak shops for something similar to the demo day or some of them will let you demo their different models.

i have an outback, which is a great kayak for beginners. my 7 year old was able to master it in 10 minutes. it's stable, fast and a great fishing machine - almost hands-free! catching the fish is another matter.

i'm a pig when i'm fishing and i like the flat surface area on the outback compared to the revo and others.

the revolution is sleeker, faster and easier to paddle than the outback.

you can't lose on either of the two models. if you do get an outback, make sure it is a 2007 model (more stable design).

one_leg
12-26-2007, 05:45 PM
Only girls go kayaking for rockfish.

k3vin_kim
12-26-2007, 09:26 PM
socalhover, thanks for the link. That's exactly what I was looking for.

One_leg - whatever Alan, you're just jeleous b'cuz you cant use the bike pedals for the hobie kayaks~~!! J/k. YOu know i love you alan.

idavis
12-28-2007, 12:28 PM
You can also pick up the Sidekick AMA's from Hobie. I have an Outback myself, and just mounted the Sidekick this weekend and will be testing them out on Castaic Lagoon this weekend (weather permitting).

Also testing out the new FF.

To answer your question, I would sit in both, and paddle/peddle them. For me, as a larger guy, I went with the Outback. I spent a couple days on the lagoon before it got really cold, and can say it was completely comfortable the whole time. They had to kick us off the first day. The second day, the santa ana winds kicked up pretty good, and I still felt reasonably safe. I picked up the Sidekick just as insurance with the water being so cold now. I don't want to end up in water this cold. I probably wouldn't venture offshore without them either.

one_leg
12-28-2007, 12:43 PM
One_leg - whatever Alan, you're just jeleous b'cuz you cant use the bike pedals for the hobie kayaks~~!! J/k. YOu know i love you alan.

So true. Those things haul buns. It looks pretty effortless too. Although after a full day of fishing you are probably more than ready to stand still for a couple hours.

One_Leg

mg2969
12-29-2007, 09:01 AM
First off
I own the Hobie Revo and I luv it.
THe outback although more fishing friendly is a beast to paddle, should you ever have to.
The mirage drive is a set of moving parts and can and will fail sometime

Both are stable. The outback is more because its wide and heavier.
However with both fins in the down positions, you can practically put the rails in the water and not tip
THink of a sailboat with its keel

I live in the Long Beach area and take trips out to Oil Platform eva 2mi off seal beach and up to point fermin in san pedro.

Speed and power is awesome.
Typical cruising speed is @ 5 mph
Its funny in the harbor where power boats have a no wake zone and your passing them with smooth and steady strokes.

Best of luck to you , hope to see ya on the water

BTW go for the Turbo ST Fins

You also might want to check out some SoCal kayak fishing websites as well
http://www.kayaksportfishing.com/
http://baytuber.informe.com
http://forum.kayak4fish.com
just to name a few

MikeG