PDA

View Full Version : Anybody seen this before?

fisherkid47
12-23-2007, 10:16 PM
This is called the water strider, it's pretty cool except for the price.

http://www.waterstrider.com/index.html

Fisher-of-Men
12-23-2007, 10:21 PM
Looks like a fun little unit to take out on the water. I bet that would work real well on the Owen's River. :wink:

Merry Christmas!

Fisher-of-Men

Ghost
12-23-2007, 10:35 PM
That would be a true kickboat. Only problem of that is the front is not open. Now imagine that you hook into a pretty good fish, or any fish for that matter. On a float tube or pontoon boat, you bring the fish close to you in the front where it's open. You can get the fish & not have to worry about the fish swimming close to the sides of your boat. Now w/ the kickboat, you have to bring the fish in close to you & on the side of your boat. If you use a lure w/ treble hooks, you're in a a nasty surprise if that treble hooks into your boat. The front end of the kickboat is too far for you to reach & get the fish & there is not opening. There is an opening where your legs go through so you can kick around. But you don't want that fish close to your legs, where it can get the line tangled w/ your legs or get that hook into you. Also sharp spines will puncture your boat. That's why I prefer my pontoon boat, it has a wide opening in the front so I can get the fish close to me w/o getting the line tangled & hook worries.

Ronira
12-24-2007, 04:23 AM
For that kind of money you can get a bad to the bone expedition grade pontoon that's wider and a lot more stabile in whitewater and have a standing deck and trolling motor. You cannot have you legs through the boat floor on a whitewater run and that boat is to narrow for any decent class 3 I don't care what that ad says. Pontoon boat would be a heck of a lot faster as well

Skyler
12-24-2007, 10:05 AM
That would be a true kickboat. Only problem of that is the front is not open. Now imagine that you hook into a pretty good fish, or any fish for that matter. On a float tube or pontoon boat, you bring the fish close to you in the front where it's open. You can get the fish & not have to worry about the fish swimming close to the sides of your boat. Now w/ the kickboat, you have to bring the fish in close to you & on the side of your boat. If you use a lure w/ treble hooks, you're in a a nasty surprise if that treble hooks into your boat. The front end of the kickboat is too far for you to reach & get the fish & there is not opening. There is an opening where your legs go through so you can kick around. But you don't want that fish close to your legs, where it can get the line tangled w/ your legs or get that hook into you. Also sharp spines will puncture your boat. That's why I prefer my pontoon boat, it has a wide opening in the front so I can get the fish close to me w/o getting the line tangled & hook worries.

A long handled net would solve that problem. Personally, I think it's cool. Not $1600 worth of cool, but cool nonetheless. I'm sure it would handle chop well, and be less prone to wind drift than a 'toon. Plus there is no metal frame to assemble.

tacklejunkie
12-24-2007, 10:10 AM
Cool raft, but not $1600 cool.
Spend $600 on a nice toon and you have $1000 left to add accessories, and you'll be completely out of the water.

I almost wish they made the pontoons just a tiny bit smaller. Say 7x3 instead of 8x4.. But then I'd be sacrificing the stability and the ability to stand up like on a bass boat. That is one advantage that I seriously appreciate about pontoons. You can stand up and move around, and don't have to feel cramped.

It's like a floating fishing office complete with swivel chair, or a micro bass boat.

fisherkid47
12-24-2007, 05:45 PM
I wanted one as soon as I saw them, but there way to pricey. I would only get one if they went for 2oo or less.

feesh
12-24-2007, 06:17 PM
Now thats my kind of boat james. You can go fast w/ the oars and use the fins for stability and quick turn arounds. They must have 1 similar for hundreds of dollars cheaper. If you really wanted to, you can take a normal raft and cut half of the floor off and reinforce the part you sit on with some glue and PVC

feesh

feesh
12-24-2007, 06:25 PM
Hey james, check this out http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/spo/517887817.html very similar its inflatable and its low enough to the water to have fins 2. Only $500 if you buy it brand new.

feesh

tacklejunkie
12-24-2007, 08:26 PM
Hey james, check this out http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/spo/517887817.html very similar its inflatable and its low enough to the water to have fins 2. Only $500 if you buy it brand new.

feesh
Thats what we were sayin'.
A pontoon would be much less expensive and slightly more functional.
Assembling an aluminum frame is worth the 30 minutes to put the pontoon together when you consider it's basically like fishing on a 1 man boat..

fisherkid47
12-24-2007, 10:18 PM
Yah, I know. I was checking out that toon a couple days ago. I might get that in the next year or so.

feesh
12-24-2007, 11:56 PM
oh ya, that would be kinda of a pain assembling the frame. But would you have to take it apart after every use or could you just keep it installed? Sorry if this question seems stupid but I have never really seen a pontoon except for mammoth, but from a distance.

feesh

tacklejunkie
12-25-2007, 07:10 AM
oh ya, that would be kinda of a pain assembling the frame. But would you have to take it apart after every use or could you just keep it installed? Sorry if this question seems stupid but I have never really seen a pontoon except for mammoth, but from a distance.

feesh
Assembly isn't even really a pain, thats what I'm saying.
Assembling the whole thing from completely disassembled takes only 30 mins. Teardown takes about 15 mins. IMO, it's worth it to have your own boat.
Not to mention it breaks down and is completely stowable. If you have a truck, you can just leave it assembled. I transport mine in a 2 seater convertible honda S2000, and it fits just fine.

I've caught all of my personal best bass on my pontoon. Couldn't have done it without it :banana: And I stayed completely dry the whole time in this cold water weather.

fisherkid47
12-25-2007, 10:59 AM
Nice bass!! And from what you said, 30 min. of assembly is worth it.

Ronira
12-29-2007, 08:51 AM
If you have a truck you can haul your toon completley assembled and save more time. Like TJ said, it's no big deal to assemble a toon and half the time is spent shooting the breeze with your friends anyway. Great way to fish rivers as well.

tacklejunkie
12-29-2007, 12:39 PM
If you have a truck you can haul your toon completley assembled and save more time. Like TJ said, it's no big deal to assemble a toon and half the time is spent shooting the breeze with your friends anyway. Great way to fish rivers as well.

Here's a pic of Rondawg slayin' on his pontoon 8)
BAck when it was shorts and T-shirt weather :lol:

Ronira
12-29-2007, 12:57 PM
That was one fun day brodawg. Here's TJ cruising toon style.

tacklejunkie
12-29-2007, 01:17 PM
Man I miss those 15 fish days out there dude. Wish it was mid summer all over again.
The first day I got my pontoon was freakin off the hook :lol:
Remember this post?
viewtopic.php?t=7614 (http://fishingnetwork.net/forum1/viewtopic.php?t=7614)

All this winter action makes me feel like I can't catch and bass unless I use a swimbait, and then I Really gotta work for it! :lol:
I wonder what happens when you throw these baits when the bite is WO in the warmer months!

Ronira
12-29-2007, 01:43 PM
We need to jig spoons deep like Rambo's doin dawg. He caught fish between 20 and 40 ft I guess. In 90 days we will fish the pre-spawn :banana: