PDA

View Full Version : owens river questions

FishermanStu
12-20-2007, 11:27 PM
i am going to mammoth for a little ski trip and i am planning on hitting the owens on the way home. any tips. actually even just somewhere to start. i might bring the new fly rod so any tips for flies or anything would be helpfull. how bout just some general info

Flying
12-21-2007, 12:22 AM
http://www.thetroutfly.com/fishreport.html

Stop by the shop while you're up there to.

tpfishnfool
12-21-2007, 07:34 AM
Go with sizes 18 - 22 . Try Blue winged olive, Hairs ear, Caddis and bead head nimphs. Also try a wooly bugger tight to the under cutts. Good luck and post your results..

mammoth xfactor
12-21-2007, 09:02 AM
Talk with Joe at Performance Anglers. His shop is located behind the Bank of America. Plenty of good tips there. Oh yeah, we just got 3 feet of fresh snow. The temp right now is 9 degrees.

WAVEMHOME
12-21-2007, 09:16 AM
Upper or Lower?

fisherkid47
12-21-2007, 03:19 PM
Try some black and olive buggers, and sculpins on the fly rod. I recommend the trout fitter, or ricks sporting goods. I would go to the trout fitter, cause they only carry fishing equipment. But ricks changes to a ski shop in the winter, so if you do go there they might not have any tackle for sale, but they sure do have a lot of knowledge.
Good luck and have fun!!

fisherkid

FishermanStu
12-21-2007, 05:05 PM
alrgiht sweet thatnks for the info. does anyone have a directions?

fullstringer
12-21-2007, 05:52 PM
If your traveling north on the 395 b4 Bishop East on warm springs rd, in Bishop east on E.line near the end of town 395 goes to the left in you stay to the right at the light this hwy 6 follow road till it starts to veer right and turn left off hwy 6 this is called 5 bridges rd. travel on each of these roads about 1-2 miles the river will run under these roads.On your way to mammoth Pleasant Valley resivoir will be on your right there is a wild trout area below the res. artificial lures c/r only but check to make sure it is open to fishing.All of these places have areas to park off the road or follow the river.

good luck
fullstringer