PDA

View Full Version : hey san diego guys i gotta question about the surf?

Ray Lopez
12-17-2007, 03:00 PM
Hey all i'm gonna be spending a few days down in san diego during my x-mas break i was wondering if any of you would be nice enough to point me into a good direction for some good surf fishing and what to use out down in your neck of the woods

thanks in advance

oh and i promise to :secret: about anything you send me over a pm

yellowtail44
12-17-2007, 03:45 PM
Ray,

I used to live in sd for school, and I used to always surf fish La Jolla Cove. There are certain areas where it's a nature preserve which you cannot fish but there are some spots where you can. Theres this area where there's a whole bunch of seals on the beach (you can ask around and everyone will give you directions to that place) but I used to fish just left of that area (left of the life guard station) You can just park on the street and walk down. You may want to ask people just in case if you can fish there but I know when I used to live there, it was ok as I used to always talk to the life guards. Sorry if my directions are not good, I just can remember the street names but La Jolla Cove is really small so you shouldnt have an issue finding this place if you ask for the seals on the beach. I used to catch lot's of calicos, all kinds of perch and I have seen people catch halibuts. I have also seen spear fisherman come back with huge white seabass there...

Also, the whole del mar stretch is good too and blacks beach... good luck

Yellowtail44

sweetfish
12-17-2007, 03:46 PM
When I lived in S.D., I did alot of my surf fishing @ Torrey Pines. There was a great flat right in front of the State park parking lot with tons of sand crabs. I would catch Corbina and perch there. I have never tried during the winter months though. I also have been reading that they are doing well at La Jolla Shores. I hope this helps.

Good luck.

sweetfish
12-17-2007, 03:54 PM
[quote="yellowtail44"]Ray,

Sorry if my directions are not good, I just can remember the street names but La Jolla Cove is really small so you shouldnt have an issue finding this place if you ask for the seals on the beach.

To get to La Jolla cove, If taking 5 south exit La jolla Village drive and go west. Turn Left on Torrey Pines road. Turn Right on Ardath Rd. Turn right on Prospect St. follow Propspect and there will be a sign to turn right to get to the cove. The cove is on Coast Blvd.

If you take 15 south, exit 52 west. Follw until tou get to Ardath Rd and proceed to follow that split. Follow Ardath until you hit Prospect and turn right. Then the rest is same as above.

yellowtail44
12-17-2007, 04:01 PM
this is the site i used to always use when i fished sd... it's really good for the sd area. Check the saltwater forum, there lots of info

http://www.sdfish.com/forums/dcboard.php

sansou
12-17-2007, 05:10 PM
Don't go to Black's Beach unless you're in to seeing naked dudes. No need for that. TP this time of year is desolate enough, and the Indian rock down the beach (w/ the right tide) always produces good variety for me.

Might want to think about MB jetty as well.

Think about spots in South Bay as well for bay fishing.

Ray Lopez
12-18-2007, 04:22 PM
whats closest to the zoo

i'll be staying about 5 mins from the sd zoo

sweetfish
12-18-2007, 04:58 PM
Hey Ray, check out the thread title "Do you know of any good spots at the Gaslamp Quarter?" It was responses to the general area you are going to be in. However, it is primary bay fishing. The closest place to surf fish to the area you are going to be in is by Hotel Del Coronado. Take your wife and go across the Coronado bridge and go to Hotel Del Coronado. She can go shopping at the various little shops in the hotel while you go get your line wet. The reason why take your wife is because that is a toll bridge, and if it is still the same from the last time I was in the area, carpooling is free.

Also try to get some responses on sdfish.com. They are some really nice guys there and will steer you in the right direction.

Good luck

sansou
12-18-2007, 05:36 PM
whats closest to the zoo

i'll be staying about 5 mins from the sd zoo

Dude, are you telling us you're staying in Hillcrest?

Cause that place is faaaaaabulous.... (in L.A. terms I think it is equivalent to West Hollywood???? or the shores of Castaic during Moonlight Madness????)

Just messing with you... :D :D

The zoo area is roughly "downtown", and thus somewhat centrally located. A couple exits south of downtown (on the 5) is the Coronado bridge. Cross the bridge and you can fish a small eastward facing pier that projects into the bay, and you also can work the entire "silver strand" (beach that faces westward on other side of island), and at the south end of the island, on the bay side, there is a little public access spot where it is a little "marshy" but you can take your shot at bonefish. I hear lately ghostshrimp is the ticket, per local fishing website, but I've never personally tried baitfishing for them.

ikeman
12-18-2007, 06:39 PM
All of Mission bay is a great fishery and you can pump ghost shrimp on the low tides. If not the bridge areas in the bay are really good for spotties and turds. A link to the bay map http://www.plasticnavy.com/missionbayfishingmap.htm and a good source for local lures. I usually rent a skiff at Seaforth, but I see the shores being fished all the time. Don"t know what the surf will be like as of yet, but keep in mind San Diego picks up much, much more North swell this time of the year than up here so the surf fishing could be tough depending on the waves.

Good luck and have a great Holiday
Jeff