PDA

View Full Version : 12/15/07 Channel Island Hopping 2

k3vin_kim
12-16-2007, 04:08 PM
Went up North again with Cousin Sam and Thomas from getbent. We went to continue last weeks rockfish massacre and we scored even bigger than last time.

Launched out of CISCO by 6AM and fished Until 4:30PM with ALL TYPES of bait. Live Dines/Chovies, Frozen Squid and Kirkland Signiture Shrimps (shell on) and we all had a plethera of jax jigs.

The water and weather were the best I've seen in my entire life. It was flat and warm. A little TOO flat for my liking because the current was not taking our lines anywhere even at 210 feet. We fished that same spot at Santa cruz island for some nice 4-6 pound chuckleheads but it was kind of slow in the morning so we picked up and fished the gap in between Anacapa and Santa Cruz where we caught more starry's, Barber Poles and Rosys in the 1-4 pound range.

The water was super still here too so we moved to the front side of Anacapa where Cousin Sam picked up a nice Barber pole and a sheephead (with the shrimp) and Thomas pulled in a legal lingcod. What a shame the season ended just a couple weeks ago - that's 2 weeks in a row Thomas pulled in a legal ling and had to throw em back.

The last stop of the day was supposed to be a quick look around before we headed back in so it was en route to going home with Anacapa island behind us. But we metered BIG TIME MARKS on the fishfinder. Nothing but marks marks marks all on top of each other on the bottom at about 210 feet. We were only supposed to fish for about 30 minutes but ended up staying at this spot for about an hour.

Here all 3 of us were dropping our lines and getting hit hard on all of our baits. I consistently put on a chovie dropper looped (weight on bottom) with a 1/0 red hayabusa octopus hook and brought up a different fish every time.
First a Chuckle
then a Starry
then a Vermillion
then a Bocaccio
then a Blue bass
then a HUGE sculpin

I looked to my sides and the guys were just nailing the rockfish as well. It was definately christmas time at the Channel islands today.

P.s. my arms and back hurt from a non stop bite at 200+ feet.

ghetto dad
12-16-2007, 04:11 PM
they must have been thick if you caught em......thanks for the report......

k3vin_kim
12-16-2007, 04:16 PM
The channel islands rockfish can get pretty thick. I thought we got lucky the first time around but after today, I realized that the rockfish up north are just on average a bigger size than the ones near home.

ghetto dad
12-16-2007, 04:19 PM
yeah, and they eat the jigs unlike our ghetto rockfish down here.....

ghetto dad
12-16-2007, 04:25 PM
so, when are you gonna pro-staff for jax jigs kev??

k3vin_kim
12-16-2007, 04:27 PM
I don't know if I want to... I haven't made up my mind yet. Maybe next year, I'm still working out a deal with Diawa and Seeker.

ghetto dad
12-16-2007, 04:31 PM
oh, you dropped shimano, huh....that sucks, i know they wanted you....like they ALL do....there should be a rule before you pro-staff for anyone.....

k3vin_kim
12-16-2007, 04:32 PM
well actually if you take a gander at that picture above, I'm using my Torium 20. Great reel.

one_leg
12-16-2007, 04:39 PM
Nice report!!!!!!! Lucky you!!!!!! Thick Fish!!!!!!!

LMAO @ ghetto dad..................Thick with fish!.......Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha.

K3vin, I think you should offer to clean up that boat for getting to go along on these trips.
You left all kinds of blood and goop around the livewell. It's hard work scrubbing that stuff off of there.
They might stop taking you if you don't pull your share of the load.

When you get your sponsorship will you still remember your ole' friend One_Leg?

One_Leg

ymin72
12-16-2007, 04:45 PM
Damn Kevin, dont make me take you to school again.
:lol:
Next time you'll QUIT for GOOD. j/k.

Good job fishing and teaching them how its done.

ghetto dad
12-16-2007, 04:47 PM
i think we all have taken kevin to school at some point....lol....

k3vin_kim
12-16-2007, 04:52 PM
Alan, of course I pull my share in cleaning up the boat. It's my duty to pick up all the trash while we're heading in and dispose of them in the large trash bag. It's Sams job to jump off the boat and get it all tied down and bumpers in place and while Tom is Hosing down the boat, it's also my job to hose down all the fishing poles and load them into the truck. And don't worry Alvin, I'll never forget you when I write my own book on how to fish.

Mike, you have my number, call me if you want some pointers on how not to break a rod.

Steve, the only thing you ever taught me at school was not to use a jax jig on a local rockfishing trip. PEACE~!!!

Just kidding guys, you guys are my inspiration.

ymin72
12-16-2007, 04:58 PM
Mike, you have my number, call me if you want some pointers on how not to break a rod.

Like what, dont pull on any BIG FISH!!!! like you always seem to do....

Thanks for the advise. I'll be sure NOT to use that one. :lol:

one_leg
12-16-2007, 04:59 PM
And don't worry Alvin, I'll never forget you when I write my own book on how to fish.

Just kidding guys, you guys are my inspiration.

K3vin, I look forward to authoring the Foreword to your first book, "How I plan to learn how to catch fish" by K3vin Kim.

One_Leg

GeordyBass
12-16-2007, 05:38 PM
NICE FISH!
by any chance did you launch your boat at huntington harbour(sunset aquatic)?

one_leg
12-16-2007, 05:44 PM
Launched out of CISCO by 6AM and fished Until 4:30PM with ALL TYPES of bait.

Did you bother to read the report at all?....LMAO

One_Leg

b20monster
12-16-2007, 05:55 PM
you're gonna write a book on how to rockfish? what.?!?!?!?

cappo
12-16-2007, 06:01 PM
looks like a great trip
yup them channel island rockfish are no joke
wait till we take a trip to Rosa someday.

k3vin_kim
12-16-2007, 07:18 PM
Dara, No i wasn't planning on it. But since you asked - I might as well.

Cappo- If there's anybody that I'd want to go fishing with at the channel Islands it's you. I still have nightmares of those Lingasuarus's u caught at Rosa.

k3vin_kim
12-16-2007, 07:20 PM
Bassmaster - no that wasn't us. We launched outta CISCO on Saturday morning.

JapanRon
12-16-2007, 08:05 PM
Hi K3vin_kim,

Nice ... Seems like you guys did well. Appreciate the pics and report.

JapanRon

sansou
12-16-2007, 08:21 PM
Very nice!

Beautiful scenery, private boat, and great fish! What more can anyone ask for? :D

GeordyBass
12-16-2007, 09:16 PM
[quote="k3vin_kim":b9d88]

Launched out of CISCO by 6AM and fished Until 4:30PM with ALL TYPES of bait.

Did you bother to read the report at all?....LMAO

One_Leg[/quote:b9d88]
i saw the pics,wrote the reply,then i read the report!LOL!
i forgot to edit the reply to "NICE FISH" only! :banana:
the pics were awesome thats why! :lol:

Ambassadorhawg
12-17-2007, 05:35 PM
Another great trip! WTG K3vin. If you like what you are seeing out at Santa Cruz, you should see how awesome it is at Rosa & Miguel. Those islands are even better for numbers and quality. That boat can easily make it to Santa Rosa, even San Miguel (my island) in good weather and launching out of Santa Barbara harbor.

Weather permitting, gonna hit the islands (hopefully Santa Rosa) with my buddy on his rig on the day after Christmas.

NEED 2 SLAY CODZZZZZZZ!!! Going through withdrawals now! Gotta go soon, it's almost over for a few months!

Thanks for the report,
Ambassadorhawg

tykim717
12-18-2007, 06:42 PM
kevin...nice post as usual. you forgot to mention the ones that got away! :secret:

ghetto dad
12-18-2007, 06:47 PM
great...we have two kevins now.....

ghetto dad
12-18-2007, 07:58 PM
oh yeah, and welcome to the board......peace