PDA

View Full Version : Heads up on the Swimbaits

WARRIORMIKE
12-13-2007, 09:09 PM
Has anyone ever thrown a Huddleston or a BBZ, or any of these big swimbaits to catch some of these surf fish?

rusty6
12-14-2007, 12:02 PM
i dunno about fish in the surf hitting a swim bait...maybe if you get lucky on a huge butt. i've seen reports of people using large swimbaits and plugs for calicos and whatnot.

bsp
12-14-2007, 02:53 PM
The only surf fish that would go after the BBZ is a striped bass, and those are pretty uncommon around here. A Hudd may get the attention of a very large white seabass, calico, or halibut, but if you are targeting perch and croaker then I would not use it.

SanDimasLMB
12-14-2007, 04:14 PM
The Silver Fish BBZ-1 could be good against halibut, WSB, maybe even Yellowtail. However, the construction of the body may be questionable against hard hitting saltwater fish.

WARRIORMIKE
12-14-2007, 07:31 PM
The Silver Fish BBZ-1 could be good against halibut, WSB, maybe even Yellowtail. However, the construction of the body may be questionable against hard hitting saltwater fish.

So I guess my question is if I throw a big swimbait will I get the results that I'm lookin for. I want a piggy!

bsp
12-14-2007, 09:59 PM
If you know the correct place, maybe. On a typical, sandy surf fishing beach there is a 99.99% chance that you will not get anything. I know that Calicos, white seabass, and yellowtail will eat Huddlestons on partyboats, but the grade of fish that would eat something that big is only rarely found near shore and in very few places. The sinking BBZs would probably get snagged too much to be usable for any length of time. The places to throw the Hudds and a floating BBZ are the places where you would fish boiler rock calicos if you were on a boat. Then you would have a good chance of getting calicos, and maybe a white seabass if you are lucky. Good Luck, and let us know how you do.

Kalicos
12-14-2007, 10:16 PM
DEFINITELY! just a really realistic lookin iron to the fish. if the fish will hit iron, they will slam your bbz. wouldnt recommend wasting ur hudd though. Saltwater fish tear that thing up. Might want to play with faster retrieves. there are no slow swimming trout in a harsh saltwater environment.

paDDy
12-15-2007, 12:28 PM
Use an LA Slider, much cheaper and won't snag so much :wink: .