PDA

View Full Version : Deep Hole 12/12/07-12/13/07

Bobbyk
12-13-2007, 10:31 AM
Well where to start...Tuesday night we went squidding and got about six scoops from the Lady Francis(thank you) and jetted over to another spot and found squid so thick you could probably sleep on it. Loaded up on some jumbo squid and headed in with full tanks and more squid then we knew what to do with.

Wednesday night we get a late start waiting for a few passangers who were running a tad late, no worries happens every once in a while. Out of the harbor by 6:30 and make the long run out to the deep hole. Roughly three hours later we start looking for some fish, and they were definitly home just not in the mood to bite.

We anchor up at our first spot and almost instantly we get a few biters, a bass here a few sculpin there. We picked away at the fish at a steady pace, the best rig seemed to be a 1-2 ounce leadhead(no color preference) with a whole squid pinned on. The squid didn't need to be alive, remember the squid die pretty fast on the hook and they are not like fin bait you can fish them dead they are just as effective! Please try to use your squid until the head is bitten off or your squid is shreaded. It takes quite a bit of work to make squid and from personal experience it frustratin to see perfectly good squid wasted.

With some chum the fish seemed to be a little more willing to bite, and quite a few quality sand bass, calico bass, and jumbo sculpin went into the sacks. Captain Matt decided we would try another one so up came the anchor and off in search of some more fish we went. The same situation as the first spot, lead head and squid, sliding sinker and squid, or dropper loop and squid all were producing fish. We got some more bass and it looked like we were going to get some pretty wide open fishing but the wind came up and shut the bite down a little, but there were some willing biters and a few more bass, sculpin, and some tasty rock fish went into the sacks.

I appologize but I cannot remember if we moved to a different spot or just repositioned the boat on the same rock that we were fishing on the second stop but anyways we had a nice bass bite with multiple hookups the norm. Quite a few fish at this stop were caught on the dropper loop with a strip or a chunk of squid, pulling up rockfish, nice sized sculpin or a bass you didn't know what you would get when you sent your bait down.

At about 2-2:30 the anchor came up for the last time and we were headed for the docks with a three hour boat ride back to the harbor people made themselves comfortable and tried to get some sleep, others stayed up and told some fishing stories, and talked about anything and everything.

It was a really solid trip we ended with:
~41 sand bass
2 calico bass
~65 sculpin(including 1 tagged by dfg )
10-15 rockfish
and lots of happy anglers.

I highly recommed you book your spot on our next trip as soon as possible so you aren't left wishing you were fishing. We might be running this upcoming Wednesday as soon as I find out I'll let you guys know.

Also the jackpot winning fish was a 5-6# calico caught on the dropper loop and squid.

troutdog
12-13-2007, 10:56 AM
Was this on the Spitfire I assume? I heard they were running Deep Hole trips on Wednesday evenings.

Did I miss it in your report, what did you personally catch?

Hope you had a great time and thanks for the report! Keep 'em coming!

TD

ymin72
12-13-2007, 11:00 AM
Nice report Bobby. Good to see that Spitfire is always trying to find new or better places to fish. Thats what makes fishing on Spitfire so gratifying. No "sit and rot" fishing on Spitfire.

I almost made it out too last night. But when I heard you were sick and werent gonna be working I decided not to go. Hope you feel better soon bro.

PM me your number.

b20monster
12-13-2007, 11:07 AM
that definitely sums it up... cool experience if you dont have to work the next day.. which is killer because im pretty much a zombie here at work.. no sleep yet. i recommend you try it out. just dont forget to dress WARM... i had 6 layers of shirts/sweaters/jacket, and i still froze my *** off. once the wind starts to blow, take cover... and when the captain says wrap it up, rush to the galley as that is the only warm spot. you have 4 guys at each table, and a few on the ground, and a few under the tables.

Bobbyk
12-13-2007, 11:08 AM
Alright Mike, and I personally got nothing I was working.

cappo
12-13-2007, 01:04 PM
nice report bobby
guys that went, wheres some pics? losers.

I'll have to go on one of these trips sometime.

troutdog
12-13-2007, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the feedback Bobby....did not realize you worked on the boat. Thanks for taking the time to post a report for us! Hope to see you at work sometime soon...take care and feel better!

TD

Troutman65
12-13-2007, 01:51 PM
Nice report.

Thanks for the info. How far is the deep hole ? 3 hour boat ride. How many miles out ?

Troutman65

Fisher-of-Men
12-13-2007, 02:38 PM
That's a solid report Bobby! :wink: Good job!

Merry Christmas!

Fisher-of-Men

Oz
12-13-2007, 05:48 PM
hey bobby u find my fish i dropped on the deck getting off the boat??? :roll: :lol: i was to lazy to go back and was just thinking of B needs to turn on the heater and me having to be at work in 2 hours :bang:

Bobbyk
12-13-2007, 06:51 PM
I sure did :lol:

Greg Madrigal
12-13-2007, 07:01 PM
Cool report. Thanks 4 posting and welcome aboard FNN from me. :D
Is the "deep hole" a real place, or is that fishing jargon for deep water bottom fishing?
GM

Bobbyk
12-13-2007, 07:24 PM
It's a real place

BIGRED KILLA
12-13-2007, 07:50 PM
nice report :thumb:

bigred

JapanRon
12-13-2007, 10:26 PM
Hi Bobbyk,

Thanks for the extra effort. Dang !!! Working on the boat and helping out after hours on the promotion end .... hope you get a little extra on that one!!! Good job whatever.

Checked the Redondo site and it was a little confusing. They have the Twilight report dated as if it was .... Thu Dec 13 with 25 anglers (yes, I understand about the delayed reporting problem with Twilights) and the fish count doesn't exactly match. Before that ... Monday is the last day the Spitfire's trip is reported. No biggie .... just a heads up to the powers that be make sure anglers know when the trip happens.

Twilight ...... that sounds great !! Just might be worth the longer travel time to get the quality fish !!

On pictures ..... getting good pictures at night is not always an easy proposition so I can understand if you haven't the camera or time to do photos.

As you've said and I've read in reports on trips to that area .... a good grade of fish is always a very good possibility !! 5~6lb Calico won the jackpot. Was fishy kept alive for weighing and released after the weigh-off? A 6lb Calico is breeder class in my book and I would hate to see it killed just for a lousy pass on the boat...... even a great boat like the Spitfire.

Keep those reports coming ... (especially the Twilight run) nothing like reports from the horseys' muzzle .... er .... mouth !! :)

JapanRon

Ricky-Ray
12-13-2007, 10:38 PM
Great report Bobby. Thanks for the report.

Oz
12-13-2007, 11:13 PM
well hope u enjoyed the fish bobby :lol: :thumb: only pic i got is of the candy in the bait tank that b was to much of a sissy to bait himself :lol:

troutdog
12-13-2007, 11:30 PM
Nice report.

Thanks for the info. How far is the deep hole ? 3 hour boat ride. How many miles out ?

Troutman65

The deep Hole as I recall is North of Point Dume(Zuma beach)...figure it is about an hour and half run South from CISCOS Landing. I took a similar trip to the Deep Hole(fished from 9pm-4am) a number of years ago and the calicos were rocking us on 25lb test fishing live macks. Big fish live there! Coolest part was fishing right next to former raider Lester Hayes though.

TD

one_leg
12-14-2007, 02:26 AM
Great report Bobby.

I've yet to see a tagged sculpin.

Wednesday's huh?......................Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

I'll let you know real soon whether I can swing it.

One_Leg

ghetto dad
12-14-2007, 11:50 AM
Great report Bobby!!! thanks alot man....ill see you with as many as i can get together on the 23rd...i think i got about 10 so far!!! peace

cappo
12-14-2007, 12:04 PM
Happy birthday Bobby

LA Smoker
12-14-2007, 03:28 PM
Happy Birthday Bobby Kakes... 18 right? Next time I see ya, we're going to make you a man! 8)

Oz
12-14-2007, 06:28 PM
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8140/possumbirthdayqj8.gif
http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/7231/osiitoxgtxyfot4.jpg