PDA

View Full Version : SB Pier 12/11/07

CoffeaRobusta
12-12-2007, 07:18 AM
Zipped on over to the SB pier after work for a few hours of fishin. Had the whole place to myself. Crescent moon was low and setting and the tide was way out. I headed all the way down to the end and cast out, switching between fresh sae\rdines and squid. I was just using my crappy trout pole with 6#. First I caught a thornback. Cool staved off the skunk. Then I caught a bat ray - not huge - but he put up a good fight and tried to dive under the pier a few tiems. Luckily I had my crab hoop out at the same time and i was able to work him into it so I could get em on deck. That was fun! Next was a little white croaker who took the hook a little deep -snip, plop - back into the drink! Then a staghorn - cute fellas - might be nice in to keep in a tank at home, but back he went. Then I hooked up a round sting ray - careful in removing that hook. I was about ready to call it a night when something big bit. i was bringing it in and it wsa fighting but not quite a strong as that bat ray, but i figured it was another ray of some type. It also tried to dive iunder the pier and around the pier. i had to jump that benches a few times to keep up with it. Finally, I get him up and its a big smoothhound. It was cool too cuase he was lit up with the bioluemenescene in the water. It took some work to hang on the pole with one hand and work the crab hoop with the other bbut i got him on deck. taped out at 42 in. Funny though, I've caught smaller one that fought a lot harder. still i am suprised that i brought him up on 6#. Anyway that was a lot of fun. I had been on a bit of a slow fishing streak for awhile so last night was a blast. sorry no pics. someone is gonna have to give me a digital camera for xmas.

Correction: I told my buddy that the shark had spines in front of their dorsal fins and he said dogfish have spines - not smooth hounds - and he's right. So that was a spiny dogfish!

KID-FISH
12-12-2007, 09:23 AM
Nice job out there :banana: Not a bad way to kill sometime and its especially nice to have the pier all to yourself.

Good fishing to you!

Kid

legacy1
12-12-2007, 12:11 PM
Sounds like a fun time...I hope you get that camera.

Fisher-of-Men
12-13-2007, 04:41 AM
Very cool! Its nice having the whole place just to yourself. Sounds like a great trip to me! :wink:

Merry Christmas!

Fisher-of-Men

boxl0bster
12-13-2007, 04:34 PM
way to go! sounds like a good day at SBP. :banana: