PDA

View Full Version : cabo and lower mexico

Kalicos
12-11-2007, 03:47 PM
hey guys, i will be taking a cruise soon down to southern mexico and was just wondering how the surf fishing was down there. I have planned a panga trip or two already at the cabo stop, however, most of my fishing will be done off the shore. Can anyone let me know what i may expect to catch, gear i should bring...etc. thnx

any info would be greatly appreciated.
Kalicos

Ambassadorhawg
12-11-2007, 05:36 PM
If you are going to fish from shore, expect to hook needlefish, sierra, jack crevalle, maybe a small great barracuda or snapper of some sort. From shore, I'd use a rod long enough to cast a lure some distance. Use chrome spoons or bucktail jigs or local bait. If you are going out on a charter, they will have everything you need to hammer with.

Kalicos
12-11-2007, 09:34 PM
awesome. thnx for the info. what kind of line and leader will I be needing to use for those roosters? is it feasible to catch them off the shore? i hear the needlefish will rip your rigs and lures to shreds.

Ambassadorhawg
12-12-2007, 06:23 AM
I'd go straight mono for the Roosters unless they are known to be extra spooky around there. Take a spool of fluorocarbon with you incase you need a leader. Fish the lightest pound test you are confident with. Ask the locals what the fish bite on there.

Yes, Roosters are well known for being hooked from shore. They are generally a shoreline (tidal) fish. Even when fishing for them from a boat, the boat is hugging the shore areas to locate the fish.

BIGRED KILLA
12-12-2007, 04:57 PM
when i went to the east cape for a month i was using my curado 300 with 15 pund test and baking on it i was using top water plugs for needle fish lots of boils on the beaches from the rooster fish they were eating the mullet right on the beach realy cool looking the rooster are very smart you can i threw lures swimbaits and plugs that look like mullet but no luck i even had a throw net to get mullets bud you would cast the mullets out and they would come right back in two inches of water but i saw a 15 plus pound rooster come right on the beach and the mullet was out of the water a real Adrenalin rush if you have a live mullet and there boling around you you have a good chace if you want a rooster we got roosters last year on the pongas you slow troll in 20 feet of water bring you pollorod clases you can see them and throw bait....they are pretty fish and fight good cpr.

bigred