PDA

View Full Version : Tips for someone new in the hobby

simplyxtrippin
12-10-2007, 12:22 PM
I've been interested in since this summer. I would usually try to fish lake puddingstone in san dimas once in a while. i rarely get anything there. But i still like i because it's a beautiful place.

I have also been wanting to do saltwater fishing. when i go to the beach with my friends we usually go to balboa beach and i usually see a lot of people fishing there. So much when i go, that it makes me not want to go. Im looking for places where it's not too crowded. I've been reading a little bit about multiple posts here and noticed that alot of people are fishing newport or balboa harbor. are those harbors the one on the other side of the beach were the family fair is? Where exactly do u guys go fishing? The water on the opposite side of the beach look pretty dirty.

sonarbp
12-10-2007, 12:48 PM
Welcome to the boards simplyxtrippin.

Newport Harbor is a great place to fish. If you are wanting to fish the best way is by boat or floattube / kayak....but there is alot of public docks you can fish. The water quality is fair due to the amount of boat traffic and the constant dredging of the main channel.

Good luck and tight lines.

sonarbp

simplyxtrippin
12-10-2007, 10:13 PM
thanks for the welcome, sonarbp. Is it legal to fish right on the beach? I know that's its a little dangerous when there's people swimming, but what if i find an empty spot? What weight line do you guys prefer? i've read that squid is a good bait out there. what size line do people usually use for saltwater fish? I'm not very familiar with the Newport Harbor. The only part of the harbor that i've been to is the part where it has the fair. Is it a good idea to just drive, stop, then fish where I stop? Are there areas that are off limits?

ikeman
12-10-2007, 10:30 PM
Welcome simplyxtrippin.
There are fish everywhere in the saltwater! Really, one of the best resources for basic information to get you started on surf fishing is Bill Varney's book that is advertised on the beginning of the message board, I think. It's a good book to understand tidal influences and summer/winter differences. Many othe books for inshore fishing, but surf fishing is so easy and enjoyable for you and your family/friends. Plenty of good fishing in the harbors as sonarbp points out. A lot of the knowledge you pick up will help in both areas.

Good luck and Merry Christmas!

ikeman
12-10-2007, 10:33 PM
Oh, I just saw the ad for the book. The link is http://www.fishthesurf.com. I guess the ads rotate around this site.

simplyxtrippin
12-11-2007, 07:41 AM
wow, that's a great website. A lot of information. Thanks.

flopps1
12-11-2007, 09:58 AM
Might be tuff but I always try and go on the weekdays. Take a day off and go!