PDA

View Full Version : 12/9/07 Channel Island Hopping

k3vin_kim
12-09-2007, 08:20 PM
Met up with a cousin of mine that I haven't seen in 8 years. Turns out that my cousin Sam is getting back into saltwater fishing and his buddy (Thomas) has a 24 footer with a walk around. It's kept up north in oxnard so I was invited to fish with the 2 guys today. We spent the night at Thomas' house since he lives 10 minutes from where the boat is launched out of. Woke up at 5:30, got groceries, picked up a scoop of small/medium sized chovies and headed off to Anacapa.

The ride was a little bit choppy but we got to Anacapa in about 20 minutes from Channel Islands Sportfishing Landing. I had my scope patch on since 6pm the previous night so I was alright. Thomas is in the Navy so he was right at home and Sam took an ingestible scope. We were three kids in a candy store.

First stop at Anacapa produced a handful of Sand dabs and small rockfish.
Our second stop produced a better grade of rockfish and I pulled up a 6 pound goat.
3rd stop at anacapa Thomas pulled up a baby lingcod and then the baby lingcod's Mother after that. Both were released unharmed.
During our excursion in Anacapa we were fishing in the 190-210 ft range.

We went looking for some white fish but they didn't want to play so we decided to fly over to Santa Cruz island.

From Anacapa it took us 30 minutes to get to the backside of Santa Cruz.
I thought I'd try out the Jax Jigs that I picked up from baja. I used an 8 oz. Orange/Copper Belly Jax Jig and slayed Red Snappers, Chucklehead and Johhny Bass in the 2-4 pound model.
Santa Cruz Rockfish are nice grade fish. Then Sam and Thomas grabbed their jax jigs and we stayed and drifted this spot for about an hour. All 3 of us were pulling on these fat fish.

At around 4pm we decided to call it a day. Thanks for inviting me Thomas look forward to this Summer and the Coronado's.

4g63power
12-09-2007, 08:28 PM
nicely done kev..looks like a fun day out on the water..

ghetto dad
12-09-2007, 08:37 PM
nice report kevin......thanks.....

SanDimasLMB
12-09-2007, 09:37 PM
Met for the first time in 8 years? Man, you guys must have had a lot of things to talk about. Good to hear you met your family members. Nice fish too, plus that baby ling looks cool.

Nice Job :thumb:

eldo69
12-09-2007, 09:46 PM
congrats on that lingcod :rofl: :rofl:

troutdog
12-09-2007, 10:51 PM
Nice job out there Kev, congrats on the nice fish! Great way to spend the day....keep the reports and pics coming!

TD

Ambassadorhawg
12-10-2007, 06:46 AM
Private boating rules when codding! You can move around alot faster to find the hungriest schools of cods. Nice report, Kev.

one_leg
12-10-2007, 07:30 AM
Wonderful report!!!

Where were you fishing? What did you catch them on? Were you fishing from a boat or the shore?

One_Leg

Funjunkie74
12-10-2007, 07:56 AM
Good job Lil' bro!
Glad you were safe and had fun!

So when am I invited??

Gmoney
12-10-2007, 08:25 AM
very cool report k3vin
great pix!!
thanks
G$

Brian_GSC
12-10-2007, 08:40 AM
Cool report and pix. Thanks for sharing.

cappo
12-10-2007, 09:06 AM
nice going out there, thats some quality fish
whatcha catch that goat on?
Tom is over at getbent, didn't know u knew him.

christainmetalhead909
12-10-2007, 10:03 AM
hey kev good job out there, to bad no wsb but hey im sure you have fun, i have not seen ya in a while hows everything going.

k3vin_kim
12-10-2007, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Krundoh - yeah 8 years. I saw Sam at a wedding recently and I found out that he loves to fish.

eldo69 - When it came up Thomas said it was pumping like a lingcod. Strong little fighter. When it came up I thought it was a lizard fish but after closer inspection it was clearly a babyling. One day maybe a couple of years from now it'll be on my dinner plate. It was released back in the water and it looked like it was getting attacked by mac's on the way down.

A-Hawg - yeah i must say it was a liberating feeling when the three of us decided that we have enough of this small stuff. We had the choice of stopping where and when we wanted.

Alan - we fished Anacapa Island in the Morning and then Santa Cruz in at around 12 - 4PM. We had frozen squid good sized chovies and jax jigs. The goat was caught on a dropper looped strip of squid about 200 feet down @ Anacapa. Then the large rockfish were at Santa Cruz and we killed those on Orange/copper and White/Red/Orange 8 oz. Jax Jigs. We were on a 24 foot boat. I stayed on the bow the whole time and the other 2 guys were fishing the sides and stern.

Joe - They invited me back for round 2 next sunday but I want to fish with the NBU/BBFNN crew again. In all honesty, I don't think fishing 4 on that boat would be comfortable. One day if Sam can't make it, I'll ask Thomas if he can take you and me.

Cappo- yeah i didn't realize it was Tom until i saw him in person. Another strange thing- his wife and i went to the same elementry, jr. high AND high school together.

Brad - yeah there weren't any WSB's out there but the last couple of days they've been catching some breezing YT's. If anybody is going to Anacapa stay at about 20 fathoms (approx 120 feet) on the backside of Anacapa in the afternoon. They caught 4 the day before we got there. Thanks for asking how i'm doing Brad- let's see... I've been busy doing the usual - you know christmas shopping, dressing the tree and selling stolen items on E-bay. What have YOU been up to?

fleaflicker
12-10-2007, 12:34 PM
nice chucklehead!

Also the baby ling may be a Sarcastic Fringehead.

JapanRon
12-10-2007, 01:17 PM
Hi k3vin_kim,

Way to go on the nice Rockfish! Thanks for the information on the travel times and catching details.

Check out some of the photo-editing programs if you're interested in making your pictures more viewer friendly.

Nice report and effort ...... Thank you,

JapanRon

ghetto dad
12-10-2007, 03:56 PM
wow kevin, you want to fish with us again?? how are you going to find the time?? what, with all the interviews from fishing mags, all your sponsors needing your time, and with you writing a "how to" book on fishing?? Plus, you still have 3 more episodes each owed to Dan Hernandez and Ronnie Kovach on your contract. We are a lucky group guys!!

k3vin_kim
12-10-2007, 05:08 PM
LOL... well I gotta stay true to the NBU/BBFNN boyz.

btw, keep your eye out in the next Western Outdoor News - I'll be on the cover of the January 2008 issue...

j/k.

SanDimasLMB
12-10-2007, 05:33 PM
LOL... well I gotta stay true to the NBU/BBFNN boyz.

btw, keep your eye out in the next Western Outdoor News - I'll be on the cover of the January 2008 issue...

j/k.

LOL, Alan PM'ed me about fixing my quote, and that was the first time I noticed the j/k at the end of your comment. :bang:

ghetto dad
12-10-2007, 05:45 PM
at least you have one fan...San Dimas lmb.....lmfao

SanDimasLMB
12-10-2007, 06:09 PM

LOL, thanks Steve.

BTW, who's your fan?

SanDimasLMB
12-10-2007, 06:10 PM

Don't worry, I'll school you when we fish together one day. BTW, are we going to be doing any January trips on the Spitfire?

k3vin_kim
12-10-2007, 06:27 PM
Don't worry, I'll school you when we fish together one day. BTW, are we going to be doing any January trips on the Spitfire?

OHHHHHHH Steve, you got called out by the youngster --- the Krundoh-myster~!!

victor101
12-10-2007, 06:44 PM
Nice rockfish Kevin! thanks for the report!

Oz
12-10-2007, 06:45 PM
sweet report kev and sweet goat 8)

ghetto dad
12-10-2007, 07:32 PM

lol...nice....who told you to say that, kevin???? ill be sure to not post up the trip on this board, as I am petrified that i will get schooled my mini_k3vin........

ghetto dad
12-10-2007, 07:36 PM
thats funny huh kevin?? dont make me tell the kid what you said about him at the landing.... :secret:

Troutman65
12-10-2007, 07:47 PM
Nice going out there. Always cool to fish with family.

Congrats on your catch and thanks for the nice report and pics.

TM65

Fisherman57
12-10-2007, 08:02 PM
That Trophy 24 is a sweet boat...... :mrgreen:
Nice job out there Kevin.

Check your PM.

ymin72
12-10-2007, 08:09 PM

Make sure to post the trip on the rendezvous section.

So you can flake on yourself as you usually do!!!!!!!

ghetto dad
12-10-2007, 08:09 PM
LOL ICE!!!!

one_leg
12-11-2007, 01:43 AM
I could see Bob (LA Smoker) on the cover of the Western Outdoor News, but not Kevin.

Sensei Krundoh will teach you all to have respect for your elders. :|

One_Leg

christainmetalhead909
12-11-2007, 12:01 PM
KEV

what do yiu sell on ebay? i buy so much crap on ebay. lol. ya im so broke right now i got a lot more shopping to do. oh ya i get my x mas bonus SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET we get a big bonus for such a crappy job, its over 200 sweeeeet. lol. i just rememberd and im happy now. lol. so when we going to go hooping?

SanDimasLMB
12-11-2007, 04:58 PM

Make sure to post the trip on the rendezvous section.

So you can flake on yourself as you usually do!!!!!!!

I'm going to flake :?: