PDA

View Full Version : buying a boat-need advice

Kalicos
12-08-2007, 02:49 PM
i'm thinking of buying a used or hopefully a near new center console/bay boat on a tight budget of 8000. was looking at boats with bay style or shallower hulls vs. the traditional cc deep V hulls. i was told both handle swell very well. but the bay style doesnt handle wind or chop very well. however, the bay style hulls are very gas efficient and fast boats. i was jst wondering if anyone has had experience with these kinds of boats and if so, which you would prefer.

secondly, wanted to ask what kind and year of motor should i be looking for on a boat for 8k? was thinking no less than 1994...i hear that yamahas are best for the salt? is this true?

any info would be greatly appreciated.
thnx
Kalicos

Sparky70
12-08-2007, 04:43 PM
You should find a decent boat for 8K, depends on where your gonna use it as to the type of engine, a 2 stroke oil-injected is OK with most of Calif. lakes, but a 4 stroke will be able to launch in all Calif. lakes. Don't think it makes any difference how many strokes if your going to take out in the Ocean. Get a deep-V for the ocean, a cuddy or center consul would B my opinion.

Sandman
12-09-2007, 10:21 PM
:2cents: rent

Cap'n Ron
12-10-2007, 12:39 PM
If your on a tight bugdet at 8k, better save up another 2-3k for all the things you'll want to do-add to your new baby. Then when ya start running it and yer buddies break or lose things, engine repairs, cleaning supplies, safety gear, electronics, vhf, gps, maintnence cost's (even do-it yerself oil changes and tuneups), tow vehicle maintnence, trailer maintnence, INSURANCE, VESSEL ASSIST, ramp fees, park fees, and finally the big one, FUEL.

You can get great deal on a good ocean/lake combo hull and use it for both fresh and salt water throughout the winter. Rising fuel cost's will flush out a lot of nice, newer, well treated boats. Watch out for the 'bargains". Be prepared to spend more money than you'll ever be able to justify on yer new hobby.

And remember,
Safety First!

Cap'n Ron warned ya'

p.s.
learn to get everything loaded in the boat b-4 you hit the launch ramp, put your drain plugs in from the inside so you don't get em snagged out by a rope or nets, or line, wear a life jacket when it's rough.
And have fun.

Kalicos
12-10-2007, 03:20 PM
thnx for the great info guys. one question for cap'n ron. I understand that fuel will be a large money grinder. Is it true that the aluminum hull boats like the bayrunners run more fuel efficiently? how do these hulls hold up to boats like say a whaler?

thnx again for the great advice cap'n ron.
Kalicos

Cap'n Ron
12-11-2007, 07:13 AM
Kali,

This could be a tough one.

First of all, what types of boats have you, owned, fished from or admired?

Are you going to be ocean only or combine with fresh?

Any family, wife, kids, girlfriend, buddies?

What experience do you have? Inboards, I/O, outboards?

I know there are some guys that swear by the aluminum but I am not one of them.

What size boat are you considering?

When I'm buying a boat I make a list of priorities, that I want to have available to me.

Storage for gear, rod storage, ease of handling, launching and recovering.

As for fuel economy, ferget about it, gas is going to be 5.00 at the pump this summer so suck it up.

Put some more of 'what your looking for" in a boat and let's see where this goes.

Cap'n Ron

Kalicos
12-11-2007, 04:22 PM
i have only had experience with an old bass boat glastron i believe with a medium sized mercury outboard. thinking about getting a mainly inshore ocean boat, maybe a large lake once in a while. just me, my dad and occasionally my brother. considering something 17 to 23 foot.

priorities:
-price (college student)
-ease of handling
-fishability
-manuverability/speed
-storage
-and finally...comfort.

haha. amen to the gas statement. :x
thnx again for all the great info. probably looking at a whaler outrage or bayrunner, maybe a shallow hull bay boat like a kenner or redfin.

Fastfish
01-01-2008, 11:17 AM
No matter what you do make sure you set aside at least 2 hundred for a inspection of whatever ur thinking of buying,don't buy without a inspection you'll be sorry for sure.

Sparky70
01-02-2008, 08:44 PM
Defination for BOAT..BRING ON ANOTHER THOUSAND........ :bang: :bang:

Tail Chaser
01-05-2008, 05:30 PM
Defination for BOAT..BRING ON ANOTHER THOUSAND........ :bang: :bang:
Yea!...... But spending those thousands is sooo.... much fun.
Think I need to buy another boat :mrgreen:Would it be concidered a sister ship or a baby brother :roll:
Hmmmm..... 20ft Grady White. :D Center Console or Walk around? :roll:
Gettin some fresh water fever.
Ill make sure I wave at you standing on the shore as I pass by you Sparky 70 :lol:

Sparky70
01-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Broken Rod,
Very Nice Boat. Yea, you can pass me, because I don't have a boat right now. Enjoy Her. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sparky70
01-05-2008, 08:22 PM
That Really a 20ft.'r?. C'mon tell the truth.............I had a 19ft. cuddy, and a 27ft. pontoon and your boat looks bigger than both of them....... :bang: :bang: :banana: :banana:

fishfinder
01-06-2008, 02:17 PM
Dont worry about gas milage. get the boat you want. it's not like a car that you drive every day.

Tail Chaser
01-07-2008, 02:33 AM
That Really a 20ft.'r?. C'mon tell the truth.............I had a 19ft. cuddy, and a 27ft. pontoon and your boat looks bigger than both of them....... :bang: :bang: :banana: :banana:
Hey Sparky,
That pic is my 26fter. In 1985 the builders didnt count the swimstep and the anchor pulpit as part of the overall lenght.Those parts add almost three feet to the lenght of the boat. Harbor Patrol at Catalina usually thinks its a 28 or 30fter :D
Sometimes I think I want a second boat, Like a 20fter for inshore fishing or a quick fix on a lake.
Ive probably gotten to comfy with the bigger boat ride,And having the comforts of a 7'x4' bunk in the aft cabin.Refer,stove,hot/cold water,kitchen table with sofa's at both ends, and a bathroom with a shower on board 8)

Tail Chaser
01-07-2008, 02:53 AM
Broken Rod,
Very Nice Boat. Yea, you can pass me, because I don't have a boat right now. Enjoy Her. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks Sparky 70
Had been eyeballing boats for ten years.Been on a few 17and 20fters. Not very comfortable ocean ride.
Saw this 26fter in 04.Figured that would tide me over a few years till I bought a 25or26ft fishing boat.After seeing how well this Sea Ray was built and layed out. turned it into a project boat.
Now looking at fishing boats. They seem very uncomfortable for doing overnighters and muti day trips on