PDA

View Full Version : what to do????

reelinIT
12-06-2007, 09:53 PM
i have a 1973 bass master 17' fiberglass boat i has no lids on all the bait wells or or back hatch what is the best and cheapest way to fix that

fishntoss
12-09-2007, 07:27 AM
You could try some marine grade plywood and some piano hinges. Even if you brush on some resin or something else to seal the plywood better.. you're gonna replace em sooner or later, but it would be a quick fix. Remember, you are probably goin to add carpet to the wood so don't get it too thick.
another idea, although it might not be too cheap is to find a fabricator the deals with aluminum and see if they cant make up some hatches for ya...would last longer... but probably pricey.
Check some of the boat donation places. if they have a boat thats really useless.. they'll let you take parts...depends on the place though..

Cap'n Ron
12-10-2007, 01:03 PM
You could try some marine grade plywood and some piano hinges. Even if you brush on some resin or something else to seal the plywood better.. you're gonna replace em sooner or later, but it would be a quick fix. Remember, you are probably goin to add carpet to the wood so don't get it too thick.
another idea, although it might not be too cheap is to find a fabricator the deals with aluminum and see if they cant make up some hatches for ya...would last longer... but probably pricey.
Check some of the boat donation places. if they have a boat thats really useless.. they'll let you take parts...depends on the place though..

Yep,
fishntoss is right on with the marine grade plywood and piano hinges.
Marine grade carpet.
Can of sealer
spray can of adhesive
Circular saw
ss screws
screwgun
12pck
measuring tape

Baitwell lids in under a 12pck

Measure those well's two or three times before the 1st beer.
Have a beer.
Measure them well's once more for good measure.
Have a beer.
Cut your plywood.
Have a beer.
Seal the plywood (should have ben done two days ago but didn't have any beer)
Have two more beers. It's OK, the sealer has to dry b-4 you can spray the adhesive on it.
While it's dying measure the dang marine carpet and cut it b4 ya have any more beer.
Now relax and have a beer, all the dangerous tools can be put away.
Spray the plywood with adhesive and apply the carpet and let dry and have a beer.
So, yer having a beer.
Now attach the hinges to the plywood.
Might as well have a beer, yer almost done
(BTW, what about recessed handles, you can always use the ol lag bolt pull up)
Shoot have a beer and think about that.
Now, lay yer new well cap in and attach hinges with ss screws with a sealer on the threads.
Have a beer.
Clean up yer mess.
Have a beer while you admire your new well covers.

Hope this helps.

Cap'n Ron

Troutman65
12-10-2007, 08:34 PM
Cap'n Ron, Thats the only way to do a project at the house :lol: :wink:

TM65

fishntoss
12-10-2007, 11:47 PM
I forgot to add.. something that might make the plywood last a little longer would be to add some aluminum angle brackets. would really beef up the lids for standing on...
I don't drink anymore,, but I used to do alot of projects that way,,, man did they come out right.. a beer break lets you stand back and make adjustments along the way...enough beers and you can rebuild the whole boat.... :bang:

reelinIT
01-04-2008, 03:51 PM
THANKS FOR THE HELP AND IM HAVING A BEER JUST THINKING ABOUT IT