PDA

View Full Version : Halibut at night?

jplee3
05-02-2007, 05:00 PM
Ever since catching the 15"er, getting a nice legal (to eat) has been on my to-do list. I know, in general, the most productive way [assuming I'm not in a boat or skiff] is off the surf, right? And not too far out either. But what constitutes "too far" and "too close" like no more than 50 yards from the shoreline?
So my next question: can night fishing (between the hours of 6-10pm) for halis be productive at the surf? Or is that just a bad idea? I find the only time to fish these days is after work through the night. I've been having a hard time getting up in the morning :( :D

TIA guys.

Halibut Dude
05-02-2007, 05:09 PM
Umm i have gotten a few halibut at night my biggest a 28 incher in the pitch darkness on a swimbait but like i belive if their is day light the halibut will bite

fish4keep
05-02-2007, 05:30 PM
Night fishing for butt is very hard to do. I think those that are caught are mostly by catch. Butts can be anywhere there is water. I've seen and caught them in under a foot of water to over 100' of water. There's nothing to constitute as "too far" or "too close".

As for your Q about fishing from 6-10 pm, yes it can be productive but more when the sun is still out. Once the light starts to disappear and night creeps in your chance will also start to deminish.

The other thing about evening fishing is the water and wind tend to get a bit worst than it is in the morning. But you can only fish when you can, so head out there.

uandme
05-02-2007, 05:31 PM
i attempted to write a short "article" about behavior of halibut and where/how to fish for them. but someone has already done that. search the forums for halijedi's article. or do a google search.

uandme
05-02-2007, 05:37 PM
just a quick glaze at the weather report and next week looks good. however, the tides are a little "off" at night. so best bet for some legals would be early mornings. see yall out there! 8)

paintnfish
05-02-2007, 06:10 PM
You mean like before work :D

uandme
05-02-2007, 09:59 PM

yup! give me a call if you want to meet up tomorrow or fri.

jplee3
05-03-2007, 08:15 AM

yup! give me a call if you want to meet up tomorrow or fri.

thanks for the replies guys! what time do you usually head out? you're more around the LB area right?

spiceguy
05-03-2007, 03:58 PM
I catch 'em at night in the harbor. Most productive bait for me at night is squid...

jplee3
05-03-2007, 09:48 PM
I catch 'em at night in the harbor. Most productive bait for me at night is squid...

Hey spiceguy!

But don't the batrays ever grab onto your squid? :lol: :lol: :lol:

That reminds me, I was out a couple nights ago (at NPH) and one of my rods went off SCREAMING. Although, right as it went off, one of those covered skiff/pontoon boats drifted by. So I have no idea if my line got caught up on the boat or if a huge ray took my bait (frozen grunion). Fortunately, I got my tackle back but the bait was missing :shock:

IslandBoi
05-03-2007, 10:37 PM
i attempted to write a short "article" about behavior of halibut and where/how to fish for them. but someone has already done that. search the forums for halijedi's article. or do a google search.

hali's posts have been taken off :( since he's writing the book and everything

gnfshn
05-04-2007, 05:23 AM
I think those that are caught are mostly by catch. Butts can be anywhere there is water. :eyepop:

spiceguy
05-04-2007, 09:32 AM

Hey spiceguy!

That reminds me, I was out a couple nights ago (at NPH) and one of my rods went off SCREAMING. Although, right as it went off, one of those covered skiff/pontoon boats drifted by. So I have no idea if my line got caught up on the boat or if a huge ray took my bait (frozen grunion). Fortunately, I got my tackle back but the bait was missing :shock:

Yeah, I get tagged by rays at night. Spooled is the right word. You didn't hook a boat, it was a ray. :D. I have alot of experience with those guys........ :wink:

jplee3
05-04-2007, 09:51 AM

Hey spiceguy!

Yeah, I get tagged by rays at night. Spooled is the right word. You didn't hook a boat, it was a ray. :D. I have alot of experience with those guys........ :wink:

Yeah man, I was scared as soon as the drag went off. I tried to grab the thing but was hesitant as the boat passed by. I thought my line was just gonna get cut off or something. Then I tried pulling the rod out of the hole and it was stuck there. Hahaha... this was on a 6-12lb rated spinning rod too :O Bwahahahahahahaha...

spiceguy
05-04-2007, 11:36 AM
Yeah, I know what ya mean. Same thing happened to me before. It's a bad feeling when the sucker is pullin' so hard ya can't get the pole outta the hole. Btw, you can tell it's a ray, 'cause they are cruisin' faster than 5mph....... :wink:

POSTAL
05-04-2007, 06:07 PM
I like big butts and I cannot lie...but never caught one at night :shock:

fish4keep
05-04-2007, 07:15 PM
Yeah, I know what ya mean. Same thing happened to me before. It's a bad feeling when the sucker is pullin' so hard ya can't get the pole outta the hole. :wink:

I thought that only happens to dogs..... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

spiceguy
05-04-2007, 08:08 PM
:roll: Obviously we don't fish at the same place or you'd know what the f**k we're talking about.

spiceguy
05-04-2007, 08:38 PM
I DO catch butts at night.
http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/1nightbut.jpg

Halibut Dude
05-04-2007, 08:52 PM
Did you get that hali by the 7-11?

spiceguy
05-04-2007, 09:10 PM
No........just a dock on the bay.

sansou
05-04-2007, 10:00 PM
Very night butt...... :D :D

fish4keep
05-05-2007, 08:18 AM
:roll: Obviously we don't fish at the same place or you'd know what the f**k we're talking about.

Looks like I hit a nerve. No need to get your blood pressure rising over it. :wink:

I know we don't fish at the same place and of course I know what you guys are talking about. Beside I never did say you can't catch flatties at night. But I'm pretty sure that most (if not all) anglers you ask if they target halibutts at night, will say, "NO".

halijedi
05-05-2007, 01:59 PM
If there is an artificial light source, then YES halibut can be caught at night when the moon is not bright (full). During full moon phases, I've caught enough halibut at night where there is no aritificial light source. With this said, depending on location, time of year, moon phase etc... YES halibut can be caught at night, but are more readily caught during bright sunny days.