PDA

View Full Version : Pole holder problems

ediboy
12-04-2007, 03:26 PM
I took my caddis nevada to the lake today
and i had way too much trouble keeping my pole holder up
it felt like it was tied down by a string
at one point my extra pole and landing net were completely submerged in the water and my main pole holder was up in mid air
i tried wrapping it all around and nothing seemed to work very good
=/ any help?

seemed like i spent more time trying to keep my pole holder afloat rather then fishing..
i even tried slipping my lifejacket underneath just to try to level it out
hahah for it seems the poleholder is the one that was lifeless.
ahh what a struggle

FR0G
12-04-2007, 03:58 PM
Yeah I had problems with mine too lol. One of my pipes actually fell off without me knowing. I gotta rethink it.

Ronira
12-04-2007, 04:26 PM
Try cutting some flotation foam to fit under it and tie it on.

ediboy
12-04-2007, 06:31 PM
i've seen some pole holders with foam but i figured they were just to protect the side of your float?
idk i never even thought about making it lighter in the water with the foam
good idea
im sure they sell that stuff at like, staples or walmart?

See Chris Fish
12-04-2007, 07:29 PM
Look for the foam at a Home Depot. The type depends on what ya need. I've used the foam insulation for doors and the foam pipe wrap.
Have you thought about making the holder out of PVC? I made mine and it works well.

ediboy
12-04-2007, 09:30 PM
mine is made out of pvc

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/6181/0027rb4.jpg

Socal Bassman
12-05-2007, 09:56 AM
Is that 1.25" schedule 40 PVC you're using? Could be the reason why it's heavy.

Z-TUNAKILLER
12-05-2007, 11:27 AM
hey now ediboy, if the PVC is in the water try plugging the ends/bottom so it doesn't fill with water and also add the foam wrap for more better flotation.

GOOD LUCK

Z

FISH ON !

ediboy
12-05-2007, 10:33 PM
No actually its 1.50" pvc
i just got some bungie chords and set it up i even tried shaking my float exaggeratedly and it stayed firm and stayed putt
i have high hopes about it working now thanks guys

sapdawg11
12-08-2007, 12:40 PM
Rod holders are fun, you really gotta make them secure, you can't just put pvc together and clamp it on the side of the boat and expect it not to be flimsy. The best idea is to frame it in acrossed the back of your seat and build a series of holders for both sides of you. Stable rod holders make all the difference in the world when struggling with a good fish on a tube. I use my pvc ones mostly to hold tools, gaff, extra rods, and net while i have 2 caddis ones strapped around the tube to use for fishing. The caddis ones let you adjust the rods for the different types of bait you're using as well as keeping them out sideways. My pvc rack comes apart at a few connections that are held together with pins so that I can put it in the bag with the tube. take a look...[attachment=2:2e68d]6.9.06 011.jpg[/attachment:2e68d]
[attachment=1:2e68d]4906 040.jpg[/attachment:2e68d]
[attachment=0:2e68d]coroname.jpg[/attachment:2e68d]

Ronira
12-08-2007, 12:49 PM
Nice looking rig Sapdawg, well thought out system. Nice fish too!!!

one_leg
12-08-2007, 01:06 PM
Glue a funnel in that net holder and it might make it easier to find it behind your back.

BIGRED KILLA
12-08-2007, 04:13 PM
i have a fish cat 4 float tube and made my rod holders out of pvc my rod holders are a foot long and are in easy reach yours might be to low to the water you can be really be creative using pvc good luck.

bigred

sapdawg11
12-08-2007, 07:48 PM
thanks guys for the comments...

That net only stays back there when I don't need it. One of those tubes on the sides stays open so that if I have something of decent size on, i can stuff it there just in case I need to put the net away if the fish is still too green.

ediboy
12-08-2007, 09:44 PM
but see how you have that pole going across the stern of your float
i can't do that because since i have a u-boat theirs no space behind my backrest
so i have to suspend it on one side

great rig though,
nice float looks comfortable.