PDA

View Full Version : Diving Dana Point

fishmachine14
12-03-2007, 06:22 PM
Wanted to do a little fish/dive trip off of DP. Launched from Newport to try some at the cliffs. Didn't intend to dive off the dana point cliffs, but my buddy urged me on after a slooooooooowwwwwwwwwww bite. I dive looking around nothing but a few illegal sandies and calicos. About ten minutes into it I find a breeze of unexpected yellows in the 10-25 lb range. I wished I had a speargun of some sort. :evil:

kanco
12-04-2007, 07:57 AM
I take it that it was a pleasure sightseeing dive? Or were you looking for lobsters?

fishmachine14
12-04-2007, 04:45 PM
Yah, it was a pleasure dive to get away from the slow bite I guess. Didnt intend looking for any lobsters however.

ironshrimp
12-07-2007, 12:36 PM
sounds like good times...how deep were you...schoolies in the middle of winter...can you say global warming...LOL

Edwin..when are we going diving?

kanco
12-07-2007, 02:43 PM

I'll let you know ahead of time for my next trip to the island. We usually head out before noon, fish for bait and rockfish in the afternoon, and then dive. I'll keep you posted, once the weather improves, we want to take a trip out.

How well do you do on the bugs when you do day dive in Malibu? I've never really hunted for them in the daytime..

cya
Edwin

one_leg
12-07-2007, 04:02 PM
Maybe it was the school that ghetto dad and I saw at the shoe on the Victory trip a couple weeks ago.

O_L

ironshrimp
12-10-2007, 02:49 PM

I'll let you know ahead of time for my next trip to the island. We usually head out before noon, fish for bait and rockfish in the afternoon, and then dive. I'll keep you posted, once the weather improves, we want to take a trip out.

How well do you do on the bugs when you do day dive in Malibu? I've never really hunted for them in the daytime..

cya
Edwin

I'm def. not the shogun of bugs, but if you modify your techniques, find shallow holes and crevices and act quickly day time buggin' can be just as fun and productive as night time.